Stericycle Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.8
Charles A. Alutto

Pros
  • Good Pay ,Good Benefits , Company match 401K ,Constant training (in 8 reviews)

• IT has good benefits package - 401K, medical insurance, etc (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high overhead in upper management (in 9 reviews)

• A lot of customer service issues are caused by this; people from hospitals who have bills near (in 7 reviews)

1. Long term employee, great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Co. to work for. Been here for many years, movbeen promoted many times due to my hard work. I had great mentors along the way who were always willing to share their knowledge. Stericycle has helped me with my career in this organization and has believed in me as an individual and allows me to share my subject matter expertise. The culture of the organziation is making great strides and I am proud to belong to this family.

Cons

Some management are concered with their own personal gains and not the focus of the growth of the organization but I do feel that will change over time. Getting the right people in the right position is what has contributed to the growth of Stericycle over the years, change will happen and growth will continue.

If you want to work for shady company, then this is the spot for you!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Great coworkers that get along with each other.

Cons

High turnover rate. Always changing the commission structure to not favor the sales reps. Shady sales tactics EX: not telling customers the prices and pressuring them into signing contracts that auto renew and have price increases. Current customers hate the company because they're getting ripped off. No job security, I've seen reps get let go that were doing well but had an off month because the company overall was missing their last couple of quarters. Bad training and they make you move teams all of the time.

Advice to Management

Improve your training and treat your current customers better. Only if management knew that a majority of the sales floor is always looking for other jobs.

Bad Company Downhill Spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and they tell a great growth store

Cons

Favoritism is rampant. Field operations teams are good. The new culture thing is a joke. The management will retaliate if they feel you are not a "fit". This company had a really good culture then the new CEO and the culture crazy folks took over. The growth is fast without real assimilation of the new companies. It's really sad to see such a lack of leadership with Charlie and his crew

Advice to Management

Bring Mark Miller (CEO) back. Be open to real communications and feedback

Human Resource Professional

Current Employee - HRP in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - HRP in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Financial performance and growth of company has historically been strong

Cons

They don't care about the people. HR is BAD and should not be trusted. From the leader with no HR experience on down. The good people have left or are actively looking. They don't want open communication and will retaliate if you speak up. The culture initiative is a joke. I would not recommend making this a career stop. Yes there are allot of job opening but that is because people are leaving.

Advice to Management

Fire your HR team and start over by bring someone in with external experience. You now have too many levels and everyone is a VP even if they have no experience. If you got someone with true HR experience you could significantly drive down your salary cost.

Can't wait to leave....

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager was very nice, half decent hourly pay with overtime, great commission if you're a favorite of the manager..

Cons

progressively higher quoatas while progressively worse leads, upper manager is distant, extremely unethical, no upward mobility, high turnover, threats from management, favoratism is rampant, zero care about customers - only about upselling things the customers don't need, high pressure, constant lawsuis from government and customers, constantly dealing with customers upset by price... i can go on and on...

Advice to Management

Start caring about your customers... the only reason why this company is in the black is because they constantly are acquiring mom and pop waste haulers, taking their customers, and then jacking up their rates... they essentially have a monopoly on the medical waste transport industry in many areas...

Meh

Former Contractor - Contract Management in Northbrook, IL
    Former Contractor - Contract Management in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Stericycle as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The hours were decent and you have a reasonable amount of work to get done and metrics that measure your productivity. You are eligible for recognition and bonus' if your quality scores are high enough. The company seems to have a good overall team and sense of direction. The company is the worlds largest medical waste facility and grosses billions of dollars every year, which means a stable company to be working for.

Cons

The company was in a class action lawsuit, being sued by12 different states and the United States for systematically overcharging the government. While working in contract management, I read through and entered tens of thousands of contracts - all specifically designed with terms and conditions that gave the company the legal right to increase the price of the service every 9 months for no real reason. See clause 2b. A lot of customer service issues are caused by this; people from hospitals who have bills near $5000 per month are now paying almost triple their initial payment because they didn't understand the terms and conditions they signed and they are legally bound to keep paying it no matter what unless they cancel their agreement and have to pay "liquidated damages" which is probably even more than what you would pay if you didn't cancel. It got to the point that the company hired me to audit approximately ten thousand contracts and create spreadsheets with information for each account and associated contract, with a line item specifically for the "Price Increase Addendum" - and not every contract was the same. One company who wants Medical and Dental Waste pickups 2x a month could pay $150 per box, and the next guy could have the same exact services for $1000 per month. The sales reps dictate the payments based on how much they think they can get out of the customer. So I suppose that's good and bad news - bad for the customer, but incentive for the sales rep to get as much as they possibly can commission wise. Aside from company ethics, management is very questionable. There were always problems with interdepartmental communication, and that also created customer service issues. My most disturbing part of the stericycle experience was with my boss. It may sound like the typical disgruntled employee who got fired, but I can honestly say I did nothing wrong and was fired unjustly. The contract admin manager (C.Barbosa) is a very grumpy, spiteful person. Upon meeting her, she would not acknowledge my presence with a good morning or say hi back to me, but she would sit at the desk next to me and joke around with my coworker. It continued as such that she refused to give me any kind of monthly review so I could be hired from contract to full time, permanent. Her reason being was that she wanted me to get higher quality assurance scores - even though I had received nothing but 98, 99, and 100% on the monthly metric. I also volunteered to take over account cancellations for two regions, a 6 month long project, as well as purchase order processing on top of my already demanding contract processing. I have daily logs of all the work I completed and it is clear that I exceeded company expectations consistently - and yet she said I never did enough and was off task and socialized too much. (Without getting too personal, honestly she's just mad because the hot sales guy liked me and not her. Anyways -) There was also an incident when one of the team members was changing careers and had brought in cake for her last day - I did not like cake, so when she came around to give me mine, I quietly gave it to someone else in the company... not to be rude, I just don't like cake. Then.... my boss called me into the conference room and said verbatim, "Someone told me that you were giving cake out to sales. Is this true" Me: "No, I just gave my piece away because I don't eat cake" Her: "Well that was very inconsiderate of you, you need to make sure the rest of your team has a piece before you go giving cake away" ......Really? On another instance, I was sent home because my boss was "uncomfortable" with my outfit. I was wearing a designer Bebe suit and skirt that was rather professional looking, and she had the nerve to call me into her office, again, and hand me a copy of the company policies with the dress code section highlighted - apparently my skirt was too short, so I got out the ruler to compare and ensure my skirt did not in fact violate the 3" above the knee or longer rule.... and my skirt was only 1" above my knee. Modest, in my opinion. I showed her this and she said if I don't agree then I can ask HR about it. So I did. And they sided with her, saying that if anything makes someone in the company uncomfortable then.... I have to bend over backwards and go home to change what I'm wearing. So I spent the rest of the day in yoga pants. The last memorable incident before getting fired was when I was five minutes late. When I walked outside to go to work that Monday morning, I noticed I had a really flat tire on one side. So I called my boss and told her that I had a flat tire, and not expecting that to happen I would probably be about five minutes late. She said fine, no problem. I ended up being exactly five minutes late. As a temp, you fill your time card out online and submit it at the end of the week. When I filled it out at the end of the week, I totally forgot to put down that I was five minutes late - and the timer was set to round up after 8 minutes anyways, so 5 minutes wouldn't have made a difference. But no - she called me into her office... again. And abruptly told me that she's not approving my time card because I falsified information and didn't include the five minutes that I was late.... Really? I received a call later that evening, which was a week before Thanksgiving, saying that I was not to return to work because: 1. I falsified my time card 2. I socialized excessively 3. I did not fulfill monthly expectations. So, being five minutes late, giving away a piece of cake, and volunteering to do too much got me fired by a vindictive manager who has a GED. How she got the job, I have no idea - she had no idea how our department worked and never made an effort to understand. Bottom of the barrel for skillset and effort. Poor management skills. Spent more time smoking cigarettes outside and on her blackberry than anything else.

Advice to Management

Hire a contract management supervisor who actually knows the process and how to improve it, rather than the status quo - inefficient and backlogged.

Employment

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management projects the "family environment"

Cons

The metrics are very harsh and objective at best. Very minority-centric, which is fine, but the average joe very early on loses their position because of it. Middle management plays favorites acts like a ghost whisperer.

Advice to Management

Worst place I ever worked for.

Environmentally conscious yet employee unconscious...

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, hands down. They make you want to come to work every day.

Cons

Lack of communication at all levels. Unattainable goals. Genuine lack of caring if employees stay or go.

Advice to Management

Listen to your coworkers. Communicate a clear vision for success. Pay your people for the hard work they put in.

How Stericycle really is!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and the people you work with are excellent.

Cons

There is limited upward mobility within the cmpany. The is a good paycheck with you are content with being just a sales rep.

Politics - alive and well!

I worked at Stericycle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had a great boss for awhile. I was able to choose and manage my own staff.

Cons

Politics rule - a VP who was disruptive and demeaning was finally demoted only to be restored with the new executive staff! Meanwhile they eliminated those who had come forward as whistle blowers. HR was run by non-HR staff and if you brought up issues, you were sure to be walked out the door shortly. Many managers and line staff were blamed when numbers not met. Then there were the Customer Service Reps who delivered "implied" sales contracts to unsuspecting small customers - I think they were even fined for this deceptive business practice. Totally lacking ethics but they have the market cornered and can do what they want.

Advice to Management

The board needs to step in and clean house.

RSS Feed </> Embed