Stericycle

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles A. Alutto

Pros
  • Benefits, pay is good, but think about what you have to do to get it(in 7 reviews)

• Freedom to be creative and present solutions to problems; genuine commitment from top leadership; great benefits(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I never got the feeling that upper management valued their employees(in 8 reviews)

• A lot of customer service issues are caused by this; people from hospitals who have bills near(in 7 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

How Stericycle really is!

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsGreat company culture and the people you work with are excellent.

ConsThere is limited upward mobility within the cmpany. The is a good paycheck with you are content with being just a sales rep.

Can't wait to leave....

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsMy manager was very nice, half decent hourly pay with overtime, great commission if you're a favorite of the manager..

Consprogressively higher quoatas while progressively worse leads, upper manager is distant, extremely unethical, no upward mobility, high turnover, threats from management, favoratism is rampant, zero care about customers - only about upselling things the customers don't need, high pressure, constant lawsuis from government and customers, constantly dealing with customers upset by price... i can go on and on...

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your customers... the only reason why this company is in the black is because they constantly are acquiring mom and pop waste haulers, taking their customers, and then jacking up their rates... they essentially have a monopoly on the medical waste transport industry in many areas...

Employment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsManagement projects the "family environment"

ConsThe metrics are very harsh and objective at best. Very minority-centric, which is fine, but the average joe very early on loses their position because of it. Middle management plays favorites acts like a ghost whisperer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorst place I ever worked for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Contract Management (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe hours were decent and you have a reasonable amount of work to get done and metrics that measure your productivity. You are eligible for recognition and bonus' if your quality scores are high enough. The company seems to have a good overall team and sense of direction. The company is the worlds largest medical waste facility and grosses billions of dollars every year, which means a stable company to be working for.

ConsThe company was in a class action lawsuit, being sued by12 different states and the United States for systematically overcharging the government. While working in contract management, I read through and entered tens of thousands of contracts - all specifically designed with terms and conditions that gave the company the legal right to increase the price of the service every 9 months for no real reason. See clause 2b. A lot of customer service issues are caused by this; people from hospitals who have bills near $5000 per month are now paying almost triple their initial payment because they didn't understand the terms and conditions they signed and they are legally bound to keep paying it no matter what unless they cancel their agreement and have to pay "liquidated damages" which is probably even more than what you would pay if you didn't cancel. It got to the point that the company hired me to audit approximately ten thousand contracts and create spreadsheets with information for each account and associated contract, with a line item specifically for the "Price Increase Addendum" - and not every contract was the same. One company who wants Medical and Dental Waste pickups 2x a month could pay $150 per box, and the next guy could have the same exact services for $1000 per month. The sales reps dictate the payments based on how much they think they can get out of the customer. So I suppose that's good and bad news - bad for the customer, but incentive for the sales rep to get as much as they possibly can commission wise. Aside from company ethics, management is very questionable. There were always problems with interdepartmental communication, and that also created customer service issues. My most disturbing part of the stericycle experience was with my boss. It may sound like the typical disgruntled employee who got fired, but I can honestly say I did nothing wrong and was fired unjustly. The contract admin manager (C.Barbosa) is a very grumpy, spiteful person. Upon meeting her, she would not acknowledge my presence with a good morning or say hi back to me, but she would sit at the desk next to me and joke around with my coworker. It continued as such that she refused to give me any kind of monthly review so I could be hired from contract to full time, permanent. Her reason being was that she wanted me to get higher quality assurance scores - even though I had received nothing but 98, 99, and 100% on the monthly metric. I also volunteered to take over account cancellations for two regions, a 6 month long project, as well as purchase order processing on top of my already demanding contract processing. I have daily logs of all the work I completed and it is clear that I exceeded company expectations consistently - and yet she said I never did enough and was off task and socialized too much. (Without getting too personal, honestly she's just mad because the hot sales guy liked me and not her. Anyways -) There was also an incident when one of the team members was changing careers and had brought in cake for her last day - I did not like cake, so when she came around to give me mine, I quietly gave it to someone else in the company... not to be rude, I just don't like cake. Then.... my boss called me into the conference room and said verbatim, "Someone told me that you were giving cake out to sales. Is this true"
    Me: "No, I just gave my piece away because I don't eat cake"
    Her: "Well that was very inconsiderate of you, you need to make sure the rest of your team has a piece before you go giving cake away"

......Really?

On another instance, I was sent home because my boss was "uncomfortable" with my outfit. I was wearing a designer Bebe suit and skirt that was rather professional looking, and she had the nerve to call me into her office, again, and hand me a copy of the company policies with the dress code section highlighted - apparently my skirt was too short, so I got out the ruler to compare and ensure my skirt did not in fact violate the 3" above the knee or longer rule.... and my skirt was only 1" above my knee. Modest, in my opinion. I showed her this and she said if I don't agree then I can ask HR about it. So I did. And they sided with her, saying that if anything makes someone in the company uncomfortable then.... I have to bend over backwards and go home to change what I'm wearing. So I spent the rest of the day in yoga pants.

The last memorable incident before getting fired was when I was five minutes late. When I walked outside to go to work that Monday morning, I noticed I had a really flat tire on one side. So I called my boss and told her that I had a flat tire, and not expecting that to happen I would probably be about five minutes late. She said fine, no problem. I ended up being exactly five minutes late. As a temp, you fill your time card out online and submit it at the end of the week. When I filled it out at the end of the week, I totally forgot to put down that I was five minutes late - and the timer was set to round up after 8 minutes anyways, so 5 minutes wouldn't have made a difference. But no - she called me into her office... again. And abruptly told me that she's not approving my time card because I falsified information and didn't include the five minutes that I was late....

Really?

I received a call later that evening, which was a week before Thanksgiving, saying that I was not to return to work because:
    1. I falsified my time card
    2. I socialized excessively
    3. I did not fulfill monthly expectations.

So, being five minutes late, giving away a piece of cake, and volunteering to do too much got me fired by a vindictive manager who has a GED. How she got the job, I have no idea - she had no idea how our department worked and never made an effort to understand. Bottom of the barrel for skillset and effort. Poor management skills. Spent more time smoking cigarettes outside and on her blackberry than anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a contract management supervisor who actually knows the process and how to improve it, rather than the status quo - inefficient and backlogged.

Environmentally conscious yet employee unconscious...

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe people, hands down. They make you want to come to work every day.

ConsLack of communication at all levels. Unattainable goals. Genuine lack of caring if employees stay or go.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your coworkers. Communicate a clear vision for success. Pay your people for the hard work they put in.

Politics - alive and well!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsHad a great boss for awhile. I was able to choose and manage my own staff.

ConsPolitics rule - a VP who was disruptive and demeaning was finally demoted only to be restored with the new executive staff! Meanwhile they eliminated those who had come forward as whistle blowers. HR was run by non-HR staff and if you brought up issues, you were sure to be walked out the door shortly. Many managers and line staff were blamed when numbers not met. Then there were the Customer Service Reps who delivered "implied" sales contracts to unsuspecting small customers - I think they were even fined for this deceptive business practice. Totally lacking ethics but they have the market cornered and can do what they want.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board needs to step in and clean house.

a downhill spiral of cronyism

Human Resources (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe health insurance is not bad for the Stericycle business unit but they probably will dump all employees on the Affordable Health Care Act exchanges in the near future.
    However, if one works for the Patient Communication business unit (the health insurance offered is awful).

ConsManagement is concerned with cronyism, caring about their own careers, and the bottom line; employees are the very bottom of their list of cares in the world.
    Developing employees is a stated priority but with so many things at this organization they do not follow through.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. The business model is so great that chimpanzees can run the management of this organization (and do a better job).

Great benefits, poor leadership

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsGreat overall benefits and compensation. Stock option program is one of the best I have seen if you can stick around for the duration.

ConsThe sales practices and leadership in the SQ division have been poor for many years. Lack of accountability, creativity of strategy which leads to recycled teams and turnover. If you dont leave on your own you will soon be pushed out. Leadership is more concerned about managing their own careers rather than leading people.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the leadership to leaders who actually can lead

Seems like an ideal HR opportunity, but...

Human Resources Employee (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsIt's a wonderful company in that it is a thriving business and is doing extremely well financially and will continue to do so.

ConsIn the existence of the HR department, there has not been one VP of HR that has actually had experience in Human Resources. First it was Sales, then Finance, and now IT. The current VP blatantly picks her favorites and promotes and delegates projects to those chosen few, not based on merit, but their commitment to brown-nosing.These opportunities are not made available to the other employees. If you say something regarding this, it has been made quite clear, even stated, that you will be "managed out".

Advice to Senior ManagementTake Human Resources seriously and hire a VP that has experience in the field. A company that is growing this fast needs a strong HR department. Rethink the "Chief Culture Officer" that stood in front of us telling your employees that if they don't get with the new culture program, they will be "found out and managed out". I would think that kind of culture would be one that we would like to move away from, not toward. What might work for a very small company, probably won't for a very large company.

Looks Good On The Outside But Take a Really Close look

Human Resources Person (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsFinancial success, company is growing, CEO is trying to change the culture

ConsThe field base locations are great. If you work in corporate (Northbrook) it is really bad. There is constant turnover in sales and customer service. HR has the highest turnover of any dept. It is a train wreck. The new HRVP breeds favoritism. You don't have to be good just just have to be liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a VP of Human Resources that actually knows something about HR instead of IT. That will go a long way to help you build the culture that you want

Worked for Stericycle? Contribute to the Community!