Stericycle Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
2.5

Charles A. Alutto

Pros
  • Good pay, solid hours, experience inside hospitals (in 8 reviews)

• Good Pay ,Good Benefits , Company match 401K ,Constant training (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I never got the feeling that upper management valued their employees (in 9 reviews)

• A lot of customer service issues are caused by this; people from hospitals who have bills near (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

ComSol - Professional Sendoffs

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of this job was mainly the people. The people are all really laid back and helpful. The people are the reason why you would even want to come into work. Also had decent benefits.

Cons

The lack of training and transparency. One the call center end, they always had new accounts opening and barely trained the employees. It was like being tossed into a dark road with no sense of direction. Then to make it worst, management would have the audacity to get upset if you made a mistake. The tasks are simple, but it is a lot. For everything being done, making 10.00 an hour is not enough and would never be. And to make it worse, they do not even follow their own core values. In fact, they gladly accept business from shady companies, which produces stressful situations when their client's customers call in and rant about the poor business "our" company does. The problem is that we represented companies who were clearly only out to profit and cared nothing about their customers, just like Stericycle care only about a dollar and not their employees. There was also no room for growth or promotions. People have been working there for six years and were still making their starting pay.

Listen to your employees when they stress needs and wanting help. Don't just say "we care about our employees", actually show it. Train properly. Consider your client accounts before taking them. Think about more than just making a dollar. Or just stick to medical waste.

They don't care

I worked at Stericycle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Consistent work. Nowhere to go in the company, you have to know somebody who knows somebody to advance.

Cons

Management knows nothing about being a good manager. They don't care about you or your family.

Think about who makes your money and treat them better.

Absolutely horrible place to work! RUN AWAY NOW!!!

Former Employee - Plant Worker in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Worker in Fresno, CA

I worked at Stericycle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work lifting heavy(100lbs+) trash bins. whilecovered in feces, urine and blood for your 12 hour shift!

Cons

They'll lie to you. Zero personal life/opportunities. Bad management. Disgusting/dangerous work for pay. They still owe me money!

Go back to school to get a real education on how to manage a company. OSHA should be there to shut you down with all of those violation. Your roof is in such bad shape it's only a matter of time when it collapses on your plant workers.

Can't wait to leave....

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stericycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My manager was very nice, half decent hourly pay with overtime, great commission if you're a favorite of the manager..

Cons

progressively higher quoatas while progressively worse leads, upper manager is distant, extremely unethical, no upward mobility, high turnover, threats from management, favoratism is rampant, zero care about customers - only about upselling things the customers don't need, high pressure, constant lawsuis from government and customers, constantly dealing with customers upset by price... i can go on and on...

Start caring about your customers... the only reason why this company is in the black is because they constantly are acquiring mom and pop waste haulers, taking their customers, and then jacking up their rates... they essentially have a monopoly on the medical waste transport industry in many areas...

Nice 1st job

I worked at Stericycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great place to start if you're in college or just starting out.

Cons

Hard to "move up" if you're a lifer.

Meh

Former Employee - Contract Management in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Management in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Stericycle as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The hours were decent and you have a reasonable amount of work to get done and metrics that measure your productivity. You are eligible for recognition and bonus' if your quality scores are high enough. The company seems to have a good overall team and sense of direction. The company is the worlds largest medical waste facility and grosses billions of dollars every year, which means a stable company to be working for.

Cons

The company was in a class action lawsuit, being sued by12 different states and the United States for systematically overcharging the government. While working in contract management, I read through and entered tens of thousands of contracts - all specifically designed with terms and conditions that gave the company the legal right to increase the price of the service every 9 months for no real reason. See clause 2b. A lot of customer service issues are caused by this; people from hospitals who have bills near $5000 per month are now paying almost triple their initial payment because they didn't understand the terms and conditions they signed and they are legally bound to keep paying it no matter what unless they cancel their agreement and have to pay "liquidated damages" which is probably even more than what you would pay if you didn't cancel. It got to the point that the company hired me to audit approximately ten thousand contracts and create spreadsheets with information for each account and associated contract, with a line item specifically for the "Price Increase Addendum" - and not every contract was the same. One company who wants Medical and Dental Waste pickups 2x a month could pay $150 per box, and the next guy could have the same exact services for $1000 per month. The sales reps dictate the payments based on how much they think they can get out of the customer. So I suppose that's good and bad news - bad for the customer, but incentive for the sales rep to get as much as they possibly can commission wise. Aside from company ethics, management is very questionable. There were always problems with interdepartmental communication, and that also created customer service issues. My most disturbing part of the stericycle experience was with my boss. It may sound like the typical disgruntled employee who got fired, but I can honestly say I did nothing wrong and was fired unjustly. The contract admin manager (C.Barbosa) is a very grumpy, spiteful person. Upon meeting her, she would not acknowledge my presence with a good morning or say hi back to me, but she would sit at the desk next to me and joke around with my coworker. It continued as such that she refused to give me any kind of monthly review so I could be hired from contract to full time, permanent. Her reason being was that she wanted me to get higher quality assurance scores - even though I had received nothing but 98, 99, and 100% on the monthly metric. I also volunteered to take over account cancellations for two regions, a 6 month long project, as well as purchase order processing on top of my already demanding contract processing. I have daily logs of all the work I completed and it is clear that I exceeded company expectations consistently - and yet she said I never did enough and was off task and socialized too much. (Without getting too personal, honestly she's just mad because the hot sales guy liked me and not her. Anyways -) There was also an incident when one of the team members was changing careers and had brought in cake for her last day - I did not like cake, so when she came around to give me mine, I quietly gave it to someone else in the company... not to be rude, I just don't like cake. Then.... my boss called me into the conference room and said verbatim, "Someone told me that you were giving cake out to sales. Is this true"
    Me: "No, I just gave my piece away because I don't eat cake"
    Her: "Well that was very inconsiderate of you, you need to make sure the rest of your team has a piece before you go giving cake away"

......Really?

On another instance, I was sent home because my boss was "uncomfortable" with my outfit. I was wearing a designer Bebe suit and skirt that was rather professional looking, and she had the nerve to call me into her office, again, and hand me a copy of the company policies with the dress code section highlighted - apparently my skirt was too short, so I got out the ruler to compare and ensure my skirt did not in fact violate the 3" above the knee or longer rule.... and my skirt was only 1" above my knee. Modest, in my opinion. I showed her this and she said if I don't agree then I can ask HR about it. So I did. And they sided with her, saying that if anything makes someone in the company uncomfortable then.... I have to bend over backwards and go home to change what I'm wearing. So I spent the rest of the day in yoga pants.

The last memorable incident before getting fired was when I was five minutes late. When I walked outside to go to work that Monday morning, I noticed I had a really flat tire on one side. So I called my boss and told her that I had a flat tire, and not expecting that to happen I would probably be about five minutes late. She said fine, no problem. I ended up being exactly five minutes late. As a temp, you fill your time card out online and submit it at the end of the week. When I filled it out at the end of the week, I totally forgot to put down that I was five minutes late - and the timer was set to round up after 8 minutes anyways, so 5 minutes wouldn't have made a difference. But no - she called me into her office... again. And abruptly told me that she's not approving my time card because I falsified information and didn't include the five minutes that I was late....

Really?

I received a call later that evening, which was a week before Thanksgiving, saying that I was not to return to work because:
    1. I falsified my time card
    2. I socialized excessively
    3. I did not fulfill monthly expectations.

So, being five minutes late, giving away a piece of cake, and volunteering to do too much got me fired by a vindictive manager who has a GED. How she got the job, I have no idea - she had no idea how our department worked and never made an effort to understand. Bottom of the barrel for skillset and effort. Poor management skills. Spent more time smoking cigarettes outside and on her blackberry than anything else.

Hire a contract management supervisor who actually knows the process and how to improve it, rather than the status quo - inefficient and backlogged.

Tele-phony

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stericycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits. This is nothing of an accident. If employees cannot be retained for the knowledge of a quality job done well, or advancement opportunity, which I do not see how in good conscience any one could, this helps to keep employees with health or medical issues in their or their families' lives complacent.

Cons

Do not value nor condone individual thought, reason, or judgement. Inane scripts and policies only a true blue syncope could appreciate. Bottom line focused, that is; Statistics, Profits, Not people. Mandatory, uninformative brainwash seminars. Cut hours across the board and require employees to vie for themselves amongst coworkers for additional hours if they would still like to receive a decent paycheck.

Stop the ill-conceived acquisitions. Stick to taking out the ill-conceived waste.

If you are willing to risk your time hoping this company gets it act together - fee free, otherwise...RUN!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Stericycle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the customer accounts was great the job itself was fine. The company was ok about schedule flexibility and sending you paperwork.

Cons

The company will tell you plenty but do very little when it comes to your future or their plan for the company. Partially because they have not found out how to cut every penny from the higher paid employees and to get their "buddies" into positions of power and the other is because they genuinely don't know. This is a VERY bottom line company, they will have you come in on any holiday saying they are mandatory! Why? Because, they always put on the least amount of people to save and then compain when the same people are overworked.

Learn to balance earnings vs taking over more companies before you can fix what is already purchased

Nobody is safe! Run don't walk!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Stericycle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is always work to do. Day, night, holidays, vacations, time off and in spite of your so called "back up". Oh and if you salary forget about an adjust in pay for the 24/7days

Cons

Promotions occurs with the same people in management always. This company has a thousand focuses but they are not EXPERTS in any of them. Training is lack luster and not direct, Supervisors only care about bonuses and are willing to let go of long term employees to get it. Nepotism is rampant but no one in Client services will speak up because they are afraid to loss there jobs or be shot down by the bully's in the office. Employees are told to keep bonuses secret from others that work in "like" departments. You will only move up if your connected, look the part and behave badly to others.

Fly in and spend some time at Executive Drive.Ask your Managers the tough questions. Empower HR like it use to be. Your employees see this department (HR) as a joke, an extension of the catty management that serves the executive drive site. Stericycle turn over rate is deplorable and it is because of the manager/supervisors in charge. How many studies do you need to conduct that tell you this locations management is rife with uneducated, spiteful managers and supervisors.

Employment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Stericycle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management projects the "family environment"

Cons

The metrics are very harsh and objective at best. Very minority-centric, which is fine, but the average joe very early on loses their position because of it. Middle management plays favorites acts like a ghost whisperer.

Worst place I ever worked for.