Sterling Bancorp

Sterling Bancorp Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sterling Bancorp Chairman and CEO; Chairman, Sterling National Bank Louis J. Cappelli

Louis J. Cappelli

Very professionl and well run bank.

Loan Officer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWe have so many channels to approve mortgages. There isn't a bank in New York with more options.

ConsThe rates on our jumbo products usually lags the larger banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Good benefits, but not a good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe bank offers good benefits, such as health, dental and eye
    care, as well as a 401K.

ConsMiddle/District management in some of the financial centers lack leadership qualities and fail to foster a positive environment. They prefer to produce results through threats and intimidation. They care about sales, not the clients. They resemble playground bullies. There is no room for individuality.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is to become more connected with the employees in their financial centers.

different

Prosbenefits vacation work change women

Consthe people the staff the workers too many fakes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have had no guidance, training, opportunities for growth or consistent management since day one.

ProsBenefits, large corporation, internal transfers

ConsTurnover, buyout, no consistency in leadership, no guidance, no consideration of skill set to be of maximum use

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed department head with consistent management, expectations, training, insight, consideration of experience to direct to proper use, desire to help employees grow not just be a guinea pig

Beware of office politics!

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell designed secure workplace. The management obviously takes a lot of pride in the appearance of their offices.

ConsDisgraceful office politics in at least one division that would best be described as being a good ole boy social club.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire business unit leaders that have real management experience instead of promoting salesmen masquerading as managers.

Great place to work.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSNB is all about personal service. This means that the other employees that work there are very personable and make the office experience enjoyable. I loved the team I was working with. The location could not have been better either, right in the heart of Manhattan.

ConsYou must keep your jacket on at all times when the Chairman is around. The bank is a bit conservative. They could use new technology in the office as well. They still ink your hand for finger prints while going through the hiring process.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Sterling National Bank is very disorganized and loses alot of customers documents. Trust me, don't bank here

Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSterling Bank lets you get away with taking two hour lunches

Consloses customers documents, customers get bounced alot to different employees and get no satisfaction when phone call is over

Advice to Senior Managementwake up

good people to work for

Teller (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosnice working atmosphere very friendly staff

Consmany hoops to jump through for a increase of salary

Advice to Senior ManagementImmediate management was great, however difficult to rise up the ranks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Great Neck, NY

ProsUpper management was very welcoming and employees made an effort to make you feel at home. Questions and emails were always answered and everyone gave their input and assistance at all times.

ConsWhile I was there in 2007-2009 the banking industry was walking on eggshells and the economy was a total mess. Layoffs and cuts to employee staff was happening left and right, so needless to say everyone was nervous about their job security. It seemed that they took this to heart and communication between management and employees became very poor. From what I hear from former co-workers still much has not changed and upper management is still pinching pennies and not knowing where to make cut backs to save an employees job.

Advice to Senior Management- 5

Worked for Sterling Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!