Sterling Commerce

www.sterlingcommerce.com

Sterling Commerce Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Sterling Commerce – Bangalore – “Office”

Sterling Commerce President and CEO Bob Irwin

Bob Irwin

Pros
  • Friendly employees, good managers, good benefits and supportive Human resources(in 7 reviews)

• Comparatively less work pressure than other peer companies which leads to better work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle Management was pretty incompetent and for the most part resting on their yrs of service(in 6 reviews)

• Slowly going bigger with lot of policies and processes in place that hampers the career growth(in 4 reviews)

Past Greatness being Squandered

Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsTremendous People who really care.

Good (not great) products. Some of the SVP's care a lot, some don't

Some leadership has great vision but don't seem to be heard

Hard working people, generally laid back culture

Company has global locations

ConsMany Middle level and several senior level executives need to go There are about 4 really good senior VP's at the company (out of 12).

Company seems to be more interested in it's own problem or its relationship with AT&T than it does its customers

Company seems to believe in being mediocre

Communication from the CEO is poor. Same old stuff all the time, much of which isn't true

It feels like management is always trying to "spin" things rather than being honest

The culture has taken a nose dive over the last two years and everyone now seems to be out for themselves and can't trust management (what little there is)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to move. Get rid of the bad management you already know is there, get ride of employees who don't want to get serious and move faster to become a leader.

Glad to be gone....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsFlexible work schedule, (working remote), on eof the industry leaders in its space.

ConsWorking remote can keep you out of the loop; very much so with this company. Not being in Dublin can blind you to the fact that they run bodies out the door a few times a year. They also have a false sense of being a part of AT&T, as the mother ship really doesn't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementHey Bob, you really should cut back on two things. First, the "Sitting here..." emails. No one cares where you are sitting. Second, why the monthly Town Halls? Communication is great, not so much when it is the same cutesy stuff, ("I know that's not a picture of Aristotle..."), every month. How much money are you burning through by taking an hour of every employee's time each month?

And this company makes money???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsEasy work; just pretend that you are doing something and you excel really fast; make friends with upper management and you become mgmt material; and most importantly if you are good with A** kissing; then in no time you will be a Director or a VP; that is for sure.
    Pay is really great compared to other companies; their PTO and vacation is owesome.

Consif you are a hard worker don't expect to go any where; if you tell anyone from mgmt or someone that is close to mgmt that they are wrong or that the requirements are not even reasonable; then you are trying to make enemies. The only ones that are to some extend competent are sr. VPs; but take Directors and managers (middle management basically) and get rid of them all at once, and tell me if you notice any change of it is any else than to the best. Middle management for the most part are so dumb and clueless; it surprises every one how the company makes money.
    I know for sure that one of the employees was fired basically because he asked the director what his five year plan; and when that director had no answer and went on for 30 minutes taking about BS; the employee asked him again; what is the goal for our dept; where do you see us five years from now; his answer was "I DON'T KNOW" so much for visionaries; but that employee to say the least is no longer working for the company; his position was eliminated

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your regular employees a break; just get rid of the bad seed of your middle management; this is not hard to do; it is so clear to those working there. Show me the return on investement of what your CIO did since she came on board; asides from the over 5 millon spent; what was accomplished with what she did???? asides from hiring those close to her; a failed PM becoming a director !!!!!; shoot his previous employer had issues with him being a PM now a director; and a real estate agent becoming an IT consultant; this really is new to me.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sterling

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsReasonable pay for very little effort. Compensation was decent, though based off midwestern (Ohio) cost of living.

ConsCompany in downward spiral, one success carries entire bottom line. Mediocrity is rewarded more then skill. Poor middle management is allowed to continue unabated.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management has a lot of bad eggs.

Heading in the right direction, keep it going

Project Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsGoals and ambitions of the organization are finally taking shape, and good things are to come, provided the economy stabilizes and improves. Opportunities within the technology field are finally appearing and management is beginning to take hold and improve working environments for the staff. Senior Management has changed in some areas and this should improve conditions in those areas.

ConsLack of integration between work groups sometimes silo solutions leading to incomplete implementations. Technology implementations take too long and tend to cost too much for the business solutions. Training for staff has been non-existant but is now recognized as an issue and will hopefully be addressed going forward.

Advice to Senior Managementbreak down the silos between work groups

Sterling Commerce is a Leading technology Provicer that houses a huge pool of talents

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsThe company is up to date with technology. It does not hesitate in keeping it's system up to date with the latest. This shows that the company is serious about it's business and that it is committed to being a leading Technology provider.
    The company is also a revenue generating company. The product it sells is a necessity in today's business world, that's why it it's services and product will continue to be a valuable need in today's world and moving forward.

ConsBeing here for 9 weeks, I realized that there's just too much bureaucracy in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should promote company values within all employees and facilitate a team building effort to closen the gap between employees and management and between inter-departmetns as well.

Great place with limited advancement opportunities

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsA true technology company in Ohio. Most of the other companies in this region are offer IT jobs and not true software jobs. There is a big difference between working in an IT department of a non IT company and working in a software company. you work with much better technology, much better people and deal with lot less bueracracy.
    A great place to hone your technical chops with great exposure.
    Also a laid-back place where your work is not counted by the number of hours you put in. Extremely flexible working conditions.

Conslimited advancement opportunities. Quite a few competent people stuck in the same role for more than five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine a career path with periodic promotions.

A good place to work

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Lowell, MA

ProsSterling Commerce is a growing company with lots of hard working people. There are lots of smart people here and most are friendly. I have enjoyed my time here and have learned a lot of things. I have worked in very diverse areas and met lots of interesting people.

ConsWorking very long hours is seen as the norm. There are very few company events and hardly any social events. The few social events we have seem very watered down. I wish there was more opportunity to do things together after work. I sometimes see people doing a hard job but do not get any recognition or even a little praise.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition for a job well done. There should be more company events as currently there are very few.

Average big company

Software Developer I (Current Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsSterling Commerce is an easy place to lay low and collect an average paycheck. The company does have a good benefits package. Nobody ever gets fired here, they just get shuffled around to become someone else's problem.

ConsIt's a very boring place to work. Poor middle management that is satisfied with the status quo. There are some career opportunities to be had here, but it's more about politics than performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore clearly defined strategy for the company, clearly communicated. Employee morale can be lacking depending on the department. Some of the products sold are bloated and can be difficult to install and support... while this does ensure that people keep their jobs, it also makes for an unhappy end user. There is not enough focus at this company on the end user experience, and too much focus on making "cool" tech products. Engineers have too much power into product development.

Sterling Commece - the biggest software startup on the planet

Product Management (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsSterling Commerce is a Global Ecommerce Software & Services Provider, competing in B2B Integration, Managed File Transfer, Applications, Financial Services & VAN markets. Sterling hires the top talent in all markets, so you are surrounded by great minds & exciting ideas. Sterling has an aggressive - yet balanced - business strategy that leverages its unique market position to expand into new markets and further penetrate existing markets. It is an exciting place to work, with an entreprenuerial spirit that permeates the culture. I would highly recommend Sterling to anyone looking for an exciting business challenge.

ConsFrequent Reorganization, but this is usually for the betterment of the business objective.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Sterling Commerce? Contribute to the Community!