Sterling Computers Corporation

1 Rating

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiter, Project Manager, HR, and others are great people. They are very helpful and easy to talk to. Great benefits best as I can tell. 15 PTO plus 6 federal holidays. Good salary.

Cons

Really none. I do not know what the going rate for employee health insurance, but I feel its high.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!!!

2. Sterling Computers

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Actively submits candidates for opportunities where skill sets are a great match and compensation levels are above average. Highly recommended.

Cons

Possibly being a bit more proactive in personal communications with employees when working in a remote location. Otherwise really no complaints.

Advice to Management

Perhaps schedule face-to-face meetings more often when time permits to interact with employees in out of state locations.

3. Great opportunity

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for self starters

Cons

Growing pains Departmental interaction needs to continue to get better

Providing some contrast to other reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging projects to work (in the Consulting unit) - There were a lot of skilled professionals on the team that I thoroughly enjoyed working with - Founded upon a strong and proven model that generates huge IT Reseller revenues - Has real potential to transform into an amazing company

Cons

- Although Sterling’s beginnings were strong, it is struggling with its evolution beyond being an IT Reseller to the government. I witnessed a lot of lost opportunities because there was a lack of agreement on how to move forward in the other areas Sterling has branched into over the last several years. Although its reselling business unit remains pretty strong and consistent, the other “units” seem to be struggling greatly, evidenced by low retention and high turnover. The word is that the Service side of the business is not a “job shop,” yet they have operated like one in the past. Perhaps with their latest acquisition of a health care IT services company, that is all changing. But if past performance is any indication, I’d proceed with caution. - Sterling still struggles to find a unified identity: a defense IT reseller, a commercial and defense IT reseller, a defense IT consulting company, or maybe a health care IT consulting company, or ... ? - The Consulting unit founded in ~2010 imploded by the end of 2012 due to excessive focus on a few major clients, and festering personnel conflicts that should have been more actively dealt with by executive management. The consequences? An outstanding IT consulting team was scattered to the wind, and much opportunity and potential was squandered. - A family owned company comes with family politics … ‘nuff said.

Advice to Management

- Leadership starts at the top - Effective communication at the boardroom level AND with your employees is essential to being an true leader - Try to treat all of you employees with a similar level of respect, not just the ones in the “inner circle” - Dictatorships come at a cost – the business may survive, but it will never thrive - The increased rate of employee defection means something; I recommend the executives do a little more soul searching

The people at Sterling make this a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

Pros

The management staff, from mid- to senior-level encourage professional, as well as personal, growth. They build a culture of excellence across all aspects of the company, from human resources to sales and consulting solutions.

Cons

Because Sterling is a small company, its benefits package does not compare to that of larger companies. While it offers competitive life insurance and leave packages, Sterling's health insurance plan costs about as much as private insurance.

Very good work environment. Great people that work here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

Pros

Good benefits, very flexible, great people

Cons

I would like more reviews.

Advice to Management

talk to individuals that are abusing Sterlings policies.

Most technically challenging job I've had.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

Pros

Great group to work with.

Cons

Benefits could be better, but I've seen worse.

Advice to Management

None

Thankful

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, NE

Pros

Ability to move up Training Great management Enjoyable work environment Sterling invests in their employees Supportive management Family first mentality

Cons

The medical benefits are not good

Advice to Management

I love working here!

10. It is challenging, and fun we are always learning something new!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

Pros

It is a very relaxed environment. Everyone is so friendly, and willing to help you with any problems you are having.

Cons

Things change so quickly that sometimes it is overwhelming, but that is how the business goes. You have to adapt to succeed.

11. I am a part of a company on the brink of ten fold growth that will embrace my talents to get us there.

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Norfolk, NE

Pros

-Opportunities to grow professionally in a direction that is specific to my strengths and interests -Policies and management personalities facilitate a work/life balance -Enjoyable corporate culture -Good benefits -Small company values with a big company business plan

Cons

-Company knowledge. I would like to understand what people within Sterling do so that I can have a better grasp on who we are in order to contribute to where we can go. Perhaps a more indepth training on Sterling and the Industry upon hiring would be beneficial to those not previously in this industry.

Advice to Management

In the short time I have worked here I have seen growth and development in key areas and am glad to be a part of this innovative company. I look forward to the opportunites in store for the future. My suggestion (in addition to company knowledge mentioned above) is to have clearer communication about relevant company changes. I am thinking of things like the outbound marketing team transitioning to sales assistants. Even though it did not have a huge impact on my work flow it did made for an akward environment of transition that fostered gossip, and as someone who avoids gossip, I still do not know what happened other then that one day we had an outbound marketing team and the next we didn't. Definitely not a major thing.

RSS Feed </> Embed