Sterling Computers Corporation

Jean Marie Moore

1. Providing some contrast to other reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Challenging projects to work (in the Consulting unit)
    - There were a lot of skilled professionals on the team that I thoroughly enjoyed working with
    - Founded upon a strong and proven model that generates huge IT Reseller revenues
    - Has real potential to transform into an amazing company

Cons

- Although Sterling’s beginnings were strong, it is struggling with its evolution beyond being an IT Reseller to the government. I witnessed a lot of lost opportunities because there was a lack of agreement on how to move forward in the other areas Sterling has branched into over the last several years. Although its reselling business unit remains pretty strong and consistent, the other “units” seem to be struggling greatly, evidenced by low retention and high turnover. The word is that the Service side of the business is not a “job shop,” yet they have operated like one in the past. Perhaps with their latest acquisition of a health care IT services company, that is all changing. But if past performance is any indication, I’d proceed with caution.
    - Sterling still struggles to find a unified identity: a defense IT reseller, a commercial and defense IT reseller, a defense IT consulting company, or maybe a health care IT consulting company, or ... ?
    - The Consulting unit founded in ~2010 imploded by the end of 2012 due to excessive focus on a few major clients, and festering personnel conflicts that should have been more actively dealt with by executive management. The consequences? An outstanding IT consulting team was scattered to the wind, and much opportunity and potential was squandered.
    - A family owned company comes with family politics … ‘nuff said.

Advice to Management

- Leadership starts at the top - Effective communication at the boardroom level AND with your employees is essential to being an true leader
    - Try to treat all of you employees with a similar level of respect, not just the ones in the “inner circle”
    - Dictatorships come at a cost – the business may survive, but it will never thrive
    - The increased rate of employee defection means something; I recommend the executives do a little more soul searching

2. Ok Company until you know what they're really up to

Former Contractor - PC Tech in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - PC Tech in Washington, DC

I worked at Sterling Computers Corporation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay and OK Hours

Cons

Fishing for contracts by getting themselves involved in a contract which they don't have a contract with the client. No Benefits offered

Advice to Management

Find legit clients with contracts they're willing to offer

Sterling offers many opportunities for growth and challenge

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

Invests in their staff
    Great benefits
    Flexible PTO
    Creative competitive environment
    Provide state of the art work environment

Cons

People might feel there might be a lack of communication, Sterling wants you to be creative in attaining greatness.

Advice to Management

Communicate more on intranet for staff needs, expand the branding strategy on the web, have more brainstorming sessions internally

A great place to work where there is a lot of possibility to work hard and succeed.

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

Sterling has great values and the majority of people work hard and as a team. Sales and engineers strive to help customers meet thier goals and exceed their expectations. Sterling has incredibly talented people running the business and hired employees.

Cons

Sterling could share and communicate important company strategy information more regularly. Communiting more often about the business goals and strategies in the different business units would help everyone. Sterling lacks in formal process communication. Sterling should communicate strategic long term plans for the business.

Advice to Management

Setting the expectation of yearly performance reviews would be beneficial. Regularly communicating the structure and goals of the different teams would be beneficial.

Sterling has given me the opportunity to grow as a technical professional

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

From the top down, the company believes in family values and in their employees. We are all empowered to do the right thing for the customer, and receive support from our management to accomplish that. The company is growing at a good pace, with very little turnover.

Cons

Due to the geographic location of some of our consultants, company news does not always make it out efficiently. Vacation caps out at 3 weeks, no matter how long you have been there.

The people at Sterling make this a great company to work for.

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

The management staff, from mid- to senior-level encourage professional, as well as personal, growth. They build a culture of excellence across all aspects of the company, from human resources to sales and consulting solutions.

Cons

Because Sterling is a small company, its benefits package does not compare to that of larger companies. While it offers competitive life insurance and leave packages, Sterling's health insurance plan costs about as much as private insurance.

Most technically challenging job I've had.

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

Great group to work with.

Cons

Benefits could be better, but I've seen worse.

Advice to Management

None

Very good work environment. Great people that work here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

Good benefits, very flexible, great people

Cons

I would like more reviews.

Advice to Management

talk to individuals that are abusing Sterlings policies.

There has been a huge amount of growth and change, which has brought more opportunity within my position.

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

I enjoy the diversity in my projects, along with the professional growth that I’ve experienced. Also, the family oriented, laid back environment.

Cons

Sometimes the communication is inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Communication enables Success! The more we know about your vision and expectations, the better we do.

I'm satisfied and enjoy working here.

Current Employee - Accounting in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Accounting in Norfolk, NE

I have been working at Sterling Computers Corporation

Pros

Sterling is flexible and fun to work for. There are great coworkers, decent compensation and helpful people when you have questions. Benefits are fair and better than most places.

Cons

I have seen what I would consider unfair promotions. Also new jobs or openings have been created without the employees knowledge. It would be nice to get the chance at newly created jobs before they are offered to people outside or Sterling or even someone within the company.

Advice to Management

My main suggestion or complaint would be to make promotions fair and attainable for everyone and new positions offered within Sterling before they are offered outside of Sterling. And any current job openings within Sterling be posted so everyone has a fair chance at the position...whether it be in sales, accounting or any other position that becomes available. Its hard to see new employees hired for a job you would have loved to at least had a chance to "apply" for. My compliment to you is how great the flexibility is and understanding from management. I do feel like I'm part of a big family here.

Sterling Computers Corporation Photos