Sterling Financial (WA)

Sterling Financial (WA) Reviews

3.1

Sterling Financial (WA) Chairman Leslie S. (Les) Biller
Leslie S. (Les) Biller

Absolutley Great company to work for! Always ready and willing to give employees the chance to advance if wanted.

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Lakeview, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Lakeview, OR

I have been working at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Truly a caring company. Good benefits and great opportunity for advancement. Hometown helpful bank with expectations of great customer service as should any place be and always looking to benefit our customers not "sell" to them.

Cons

I sadly feel that somethings are greatly overlooked with upper management. I have only worked in one of the smaller territories but feel that either upper management is not involved in some of the situations that they need to be or are just too busy (which i could understand) to deal with some situations that cause loss's of great employees, and bad mouthing towards Sterling BAnk. If there is one bad egg in the group and it has clearly been complained about by customers and employees leaving and complaints not being dealt with then eliminate the bad egg and get the team back on track to manage their bank like a business, if someone is clearly causing loss, how do you grow a company.

If anyone complains to the care center about management or anything to do with a branch, the manager gets that email even if it was a complaint about them. ive seen people be put on the spot and let all of their aggrivations out after being called out for getting ahold of the call center, and then asked if the district mngr or TE needed to contact them and they absolutley wanted someone else to talk to them, then watched the manager call the DM and tell them they handled the customer and everything was smoothed over yet the customer will be leaving shortly because they didnt feel it was dealt with, hence no call back. Too many things like that, and most certainly when HR is involved for anything, follow up with all sides to the story, or lawsuits will be happening and what a great company to have to even think about doing that to for just a bad rotten egg.

Decent Job

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers were fun and the company encourages employees to have strong relationships with customers. Great community involvement.

Cons

Management is terrible, no opportunity for advancement. All the work is directed to the Tellers. There are a lot of employees who have worked at ths company too long. They have too many vacation days, and aren't interested in customer service. This makes work exhausting for new employees who end up taking on most of the work and are there most of the time.

Weed out the bad managers and some of the older workers. There is no opportunities for young workers.

straight forward get your job done, 40 hour a week company.

Former Employee - Loan Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Loan Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

no overtime, new the task at hand and completed in timely manner. great staff in a pretty tight knit office. great experience for learning the markets.

Cons

failing company, just was bought out by umpqua. treats shareholders like crap. we all worked knowing we would end up unemployed. took 18 months for them to finally reach our office with layoffs.

i enjoyed the direct managers in my office. The heads of Sterling rolled with the economic collapse

Ok atmosphere, if you like to feel like a number.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable company, with comprehensive benefits

Cons

Little opportunity for growth. Very sales-centric environment.

Develop and appreciate your employees

Great company to work for, awkward layoff for clients and employees

Former Employee - Private Banker in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Private Banker in Portland, OR

I worked at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, bonus and benefits. CEO young and energetic with similar senior team.

Cons

The company had always tried to keep jobs and employees on board using natural attrition to cut down on workforce when necessary. So, great at hiring, terrible at layoff procedures.

I was a private banker with deep relationships with my former sterling clients. When the private banking location that I worked at was closed, the communication with clients was terrible. It was delayed and no one took the time to find out the client details necessary to maintain the relationship. Its too bad that there was not some professional foresight in this procedure. In following up on the situation it was clear that this was never rectified. Create a procedure to take care of your clients when a key relationship manager is let go.

Typical lender workplace

Former Employee - Appraisal Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Appraisal Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well-intended management, and solid benefits package

Cons

Limited training and development opportunities

I love my job!!!!

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is great to work for a locally based bank. We have the ability to provide competitive products with amazing customer service.

Cons

We need more branches to grow our business.

Growing bank with potential

Current Employee - Underwriter in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sterling Financial (WA) full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, forward thinking leaders who have a track record of success. Great place to put in your 40 and leave. If you want to advance, think twice about the effort.

Cons

Top down managment style which leans on the backs of junior personnel to do their jobs. Does not adapt to critical areas of job which could solve many issues and make the company much more profitable. Many middle managers bleeding salaries and getting paid to do little work. Don't go against the status quo and you'll enjoy it.

Excellent place to work. Flexible, allowed you to make your own decisions and valued my opinions.

Former Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Sterling Financial (WA)

Pros

Care about and value employees. Care about their customers!

Cons

Some time felt out of the know and discussions around major strategic decisions because headquarter is in Spokane. Lots more networking opportunities when you are in the Spokane headquarters.

Keep up the good communication and letting employees know the state of the bank.

Smaller Bank, Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sterling Financial (WA)

Pros

Sterling was a great place to work in terms of connection with the bank and other employees, including senior managment. The work-life balance was excellent, and I enjoyed going to work every day.

Cons

There were limited growth opportunities in areas I was interested in. I also noticed a lot of people stuck in the same position for a very long time.