www.sterlinginfosystems.com

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.7

William Greenblatt

Pros
  • It is in the exciting and growing field of Background Screening (in 4 reviews)

• Sterling is a growing company in a strong industry (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable expectations and no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Night shifts and no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good opportunities for established sales executives

Former Employee - Regional Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Sterling Infosystems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sterling has a winning portfolio of services and the commitment to service clients, making customer retention good. This benefits salespeople in the company, as they get paid on residuals from the business they bring in. So, reps who have been with the company a long time and keep their clients happy do great.

Cons

There is a limit to the growth potential for new sales reps as many of the best accounts have been cherry picked. This leaves new companies (highly dependent on vertical or region assigned as to whether you get them), or smaller companies as prospects, making it harder to earn what the established reps earn.

As a private company, employees should get an ownership (stock) share. There is a general feeling of the founders being in it for themselves, employees in it for their salary.

Horrific company

I have been working at Sterling Infosystems full-time

Pros

None that I can think of. It truly is a discussing place.

Cons

Terrible company to work for! Very hostile working environment snd extremely unprofessional'

Don't treat your employees like they are useless. The bottom line is you get a lot more from people when you are nice to them...

Not a terrible place to work *IF* you keep perspective.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Sterling Infosystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

General consensus, at least in the IT/IS department, is that there are a lot of quality people to work with. In fact, the co-workers are the most positive aspect of the job. Work hours are generally flexible, which is a major plus.

Cons

Unfortunately the upper management at Sterling treats the company like their personal get rich scheme. The high paying VP and Director jobs are gifted to the president's friends and their friends. We watched a VP that was given no budget to fix anything get canned after only 9 months and replaced by the newly installed president's former co-worker. Now the new VP magically gets the money for all the things the first VP asked for. I suppose the insulting part is that the executives genuinely don't think we are capable of discerning such events.

The downside to all this, from a boots on the ground perspective, is that there is little room for major advancement. I've seen "promotions" at Sterling that involve title changes, increased responsibility and 0 to 2% pay increases.

Another down side is that, other than your base salary, there are very few financial incentives. Equity in the company? Nope. Bonuses? Sure, just don't expect to ever see the full "maximum" percentage listed in your employment contract. The 401K match is sub par. Vacation time and holiday schedule is average.

That being said, if you can accept the company for what it is - a money train for the upper crust - and be content with an ok salary and a solid entry on your resume, it's really not that bad. Manage your expectations, keep perspective, work your 1-3 years and move on.

They are genuinely not interested in my advice.

Horrendous training

Former Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist in Independence, OH

I worked at Sterling Infosystems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, plenty of free parking.

Cons

Abysmal training experience. No manuals, no standards. "Errors" are tracked but they are assessed on a case by case basis so you never know what an error is until you make one. Unfriendly, unhelpful coworkers. No sincere interaction between management and staff. Anything that is contrary to management perception will get the staff member labeled a problem.

Accept that you have some very serious management problems and handle them. You have people in management roles that may be good technicians but lousy managers. Technical ability doesn't indicate that someone has leadership ability.

Ok Company

Current Employee - Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Sterling Infosystems full-time

Pros

The people were nice and ethical.

Cons

The salary is just really poor.

Worst professional experience of my life

I worked at Sterling Infosystems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful suite overlooking the Hudson and Statue of Liberty

Cons

Everything else. Terrible upper management, no HR department, no processes, culture of fear.

Haphazard planning, wrong priorities

Former Employee - Was A Title in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Was A Title in New York, NY

I worked at Sterling Infosystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New York location, Chelsea at the time. Interesting work. Feeling of doing good for the world.

Cons

Management. Pure and simple, this management team is screwy. The CEO sets the tone and the tone is erratic. New managers every 6 months, new strategic priorities every 3 months. No funding for making the investments in infrastructure and technology that are required and weak employee incentives...stock "options" are worthless.

Pick a management team well the first time and keep them. Retain the folks that are good. So many good senior managers came and went because they saw the revolving door at the EC. Invest in the people and technology that you know deliver the results.

Not A Fun Place To Work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Sterling Infosystems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Starting Salary, Helpful co-workers and I can't think of anything else.

Cons

Disorganized, lack of synergy, poor communication and leadership that would rather be feared than respected. The managers are very unprofessional e.g. I would hear them bad mouth fellow co-workers behind their backs almost daily.

Hold yourselves accountable to hire good people and develops them. You scape goat your employees for your own failures and lack of vision. I have never worked or met anybody as greasy as this sales management team. They are only concerned with lining their own pockets and do not care who they walk on in the process.

the company is too big for itself

I have been working at Sterling Infosystems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like my colleagues and the other department managers

Cons

Leadership is only out for their bottom line. They propose a new bonus plan that is wonderful, but in small print it says they can change their mind and take it away at any time. Just dangling the carrot. People within departments have their way of doing things, 2 people in the same department doing the same job have different answers leadership lies and only wants to make money, they fire people like no ones business.

take care of your employees and they will take care of the bottom line. I can only hope the CEO will improve things.

A lot of improvement needed

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sterling Infosystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hard working employees of Sterling are what keep the company going, everyone is there is help each other out. Still hoping that the new President will change things but jury is still out.

Cons

Morale isn't good and hasn't been for years, people truly don't trust senior management and with good reason. The CEO is so far removed from his own company, he has no idea what his senior management team is doing as they only tell him what they want. There is constant change within organizational structure, no stability, it seems they are just winging it most of the time. The HR Dept is the worst we have ever had, they have brought nothing good to this company. They actually laid off people in OH by telling the entire dept there was a lay-off and then told everyone to go back to their desk and wait for a call to find out if they were affected, worst HR ever. As far as internal growth, they do promote from within on occasion but usually you have to threaten to quit first. Turn over is high and clients notice it and hate it.

Stop asking employees to post positive messages on this website because you can't recruiter talent and actually fix the problem and then employees will WANT to post positive message rather than being told too. Stop talking about how much money we are making every month and then at the end of the year every year take 20% off our bonus'. Remember that not everyone new from Dow Jones is better than people that have been around for years. Reread the employee survey results again, its clear your US offices are very unhappy, do something about it. Don't ever talk about the sales Caribbean trip again, it did so much damage among the 99% of your employee that aren't even eligible for that, it killed morale for everyone, think about this before bragging about your great trip. In summary, you have a lot of work to do or good employees will continue to leave.

Sterling Infosystems Photos

Sterling Infosystems
Beautiful view from head office
conference hall