Sterling Jewelers

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015

Sterling Jewelers President & CEO Mark Light
Mark Light

Pros
  • discount on jewelry, flexible with your schedule (in 14 reviews)

• The pay is decent, and 60% discount is awesome, plus being able to work with jewelry is exciting (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance" is a ridiculous joke: "those lazy Gen-Xers" (in 14 reviews)

• You are expected to put in long hours without any comp time (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

no work life balance

Current Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

you get Christmas off!

discount on jewelry

Cons

no work life balance
    hard to move up

there is more to life than open to close shifts and working all weekend
    stop trying to punish employees for your lack of effort and care

Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales experience that will translate to other fields.

Cons

Hours constantly change so it is hard to have a second job or school unless the scheduler allows it.

Take away the managers goals and commission.

Striving to achieve standards that are set too high.

Current Employee - Office Manager in North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Office Manager in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company that is constantly growing and dominating the jewelry field.

Cons

Poor compensation, unachievable goals, high turn-over

A company that embraces its employees

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Excellent leadership and office culture that looks towards change as a positive necessity for growth. Good compensation packages and tendency to promote and foster growth from within the company.

Cons

Growth paced at a rate much faster than projects can handle. Management sometimes focused more on timelines than taking proper course of action to ensure quality results.

No work/life balance

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good compensation and benefits. Excellent training systems

Cons

long hours especially during peak season

Balance out peak season hours

Store Management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the job will keep you busy. If you are talented and can sell they will love you as long as you get the numbers. They will not let you hire your own talent in your store, The Dist. manager will interview them and decide because you are not capable of making that decision. They will force problem people from other locations into your store and move a problem around to avoid paying unemployment from managers that do not properly document performance. If you do document performance and want to let someone go based on poor performance they take an extra three months before they let you pull the trigger. They do not care if it costs you I sales, store performance or you have to stay long hours to sell because they hired a staff for you that can not sell and thinks the job is a social hour not a job, They do not care about people though employees or customers, Their District Managers will lie about quality of products to your customers even if you have been trained and know the diamond is inferior.

Cons

They invent retail events and retail holidays to drive business and have you bother your customers constantly begging them to come to these made up urgency events. They pay assistants Chinese overtime and really get their money out of you. The regional Vice Presidents and District managers sent me stacks of certificates saying thank you, you are an overachiever and have exceeded your plan, event, and are in the Million dollar club, but they make promises to develop and promote and provide the tools to be even more successful for the company, and then100 percent of the time they NEVER follow through. They break company policies, lie and stab employees in the back, They are the WORST company by far I have ever worked for. Five years of broken promises and lies and I had to call it a day and walk away, I explained why I was leaving and the problems with the company and what needed to change and I was shut down They cover their own rears and do not take care of their talent. There is no work-life balance for Managers. They break laws in Illinois and make mgrs. work 7 days a week during holiday season with threat of termination ( Other location from mine the manager called me to complain that they were threatened after 26 years of service). SAD SAD SAD I hope they enjoy their ill gotten gains. Another corrupt, horrendous company that only cares for profits. The Dist manager has at least one sales person in each store to spy on her manager. reporting comings and goings, schedules, their perceptions and a Q & A session weekly. My spy actually told me everything as it was the third store she had done this for this woman. I was not doing anything and she reported it as such but was told to find some dirt on me, I have to do something wrong, no one is perfect....

Get real support your talent, get into your stores more than one time every six months, do not ask us to come to your lame meetings on our only day off, and listen to other managers complain about their people. I Do my job, better than anyone else in your district, Just because my store is not on FIRE like two thirds of your stores, doesn't mean I do not need support, attention and development and to find ways to get me to the next level. Saying thank you instead of how overwhelmed you are would go further.

Think long and hard before accepting a position in Sterling. Don't be fooled.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Jewelry discount (though they don't pay you enough to make many purchases worth while).
    -Opportunity to move up.
    -Benefits are decent.
    -Mall employees get great lunch selections, being near a food court.

Cons

-Management is unprofessional and full of plots. It's all about what will make them happy in the long run, and what will make the company the most money. I watched a DISTRICT MANAGER quote a customer a FALSE estimate for a repair, and then promptly leave the store, leaving the sales associates to back track and inform the customer that the price would actually be triple what was originally quoted.
    -Pay is not commensurate with the job characteristics. Constant struggles with home office, customer care, special orders, and repair shops make it near impossible to do your job effectively.
    -"Commission" is next to nothing. The structure in which commission is figured is mind boggling, and never pays off.
    -Environment is debilitating and mentally exhausting. Team morale is non-existent, and the gossip becomes nauseating.
    -Overall quality of jewelry and inventory is poor, and falls apart quickly. Customers become frustrated after their precious treasures break time and time again.
    -MANY pieces are unable to be properly sized without inevitably damaging the structure of it. Custom ordering takes months, even though the home office houses thousands of them.
    -Higher management will threaten stores with "Saturday morning meetings" if they do not crank out appropriate standards.
    -POS and technological systems are archaic and slow.

My advice is to the higher management that governs districts and above: Take a quick reality check from your throne, and realize that you've got several people underneath you pretending to sell "quality" pieces. In reality, your company breeds an unnecessary dog-eat-dog community, and causes them physical and mental health problems. You pretend to offer such opportunity and chance to make high salaries, but it's nothing but a rat race through and through.

Worst experience of my professional career of over 30+ years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

paid time off and that is it.

Cons

Opportunities are very limited and personal development is non-existent. Poor work-life balance and there are no perks involved unless store management.

Listen to your associates.

Sterling Company is Great, but the Customer Care Dept is Emotionally Challenging

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Fun work culture
    Great health benefits and corporate perks
    Paid vacation and Paid time off after 6 months
    Classes and Programs offered for personal and professional betterment
    Love the company
    Ability for upward growth

Cons

Customer care department is challenging
    Inconsistent scheduling and expected nights and weekends make work life balance near impossible
    Weekends are always understaffed and management puts on constant pressure to maintain quotas when there is no way the staff can keep up and everyone is burnt out before the shift is half over.
    During Holidays you have to take hours of verbal abuse, insults and patronizing comments from the customer's that call in.

Company has trained me and molded me into an excellent Salesperson

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

I like the fact that I get PTO and vacation time.

Cons

Commission is a joke. Retail pulls you away from your loved ones.

Get a training program and enforce it.

Sterling Jewelers Photos