Sterling Jewelers

Updated October 30, 2014
3.1

Sterling Jewelers President & CEO Mark Light
Mark Light

Pros
  • discount on jewelry, flexible with your schedule (in 14 reviews)

• The pay is decent, and 60% discount is awesome, plus being able to work with jewelry is exciting (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance" is a ridiculous joke: "those lazy Gen-Xers" (in 14 reviews)

• You are expected to put in long hours without any comp time (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Over the years have gotten very greedy!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My store manager was awesome.She was the only reason I stayed for years. The employee discount was fairly reasonable.

Cons

Corporate was always giving us to standards to meet and they were difficult. If you Sell tons jewelry but not the warranty or the financing you could still get fired.

Upper management should come to visit now and again to see just how difficult it is to sell all of these things.

Sales Associate

I worked at Sterling Jewelers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good job for a student

Cons

Low Pay, Low hours, no long term talk about opportunities

Very Low Pay

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medical Benefits are great. It's ok if you don't need money for your family or live with your parents.

Cons

Very low hourly pay and commisions are only 1/2 % because sales goals are very high. You are working mostly on repairs for free (ESP) but graded on your sales performance 100%. Most management only look after their own good.
    You can be promoted if you step on someone's head.

Train managers that are professional and have integrity. If you have hardworking managers, they can lead by example.
    Your employees will be happy so they can help happy and satisfied customers too. Hoping for good changes.

horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the company offers room to grow
    fun

Cons

favors
    low pay
    stupid managements
    no life balance

First job I loved

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time

Pros

This company is definitely sales oriented. You work closely with all your coworkers. I absolutely loved it when I first started. There is extensive training, and you can become DCA certified Diamondtologist or Gemologist after 6 months

Cons

Once you are in management, you live for this company. Unfortunately the company will not live for you. The base pay is quite low. This is a mostly commission based company. And the commission varies on the levels of the stores goals.

I'm not trash talking this company. Like I said, this is my first love when it comes to work. However, I was working 55 hours on average during the summer, which is ridiculous. And with upper management, if they don't like you, or don't want you there, then you will not be there.

Awful awful AWFUL EXPERIENCE

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Fairlawn, OH
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Fairlawn, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Jewelry Discount, Casual Dress Code
    Paid fairly well compared to other places

Cons

-Work-life balance is totally non-existent for salaried employees.
    -Very little training and by very little I mean NONE!
    - amount of meetings = UNBEARABLE! How can I be expected to get my work completed if my manager and director have me in meetings ALL day!
    -Some managers were EXTREME micromanagers meaning they would ask you to work on something then come over to your desk/call you in 5-10 minute intervals to ask if it were done!
    -OnBoarding Is awful. I sat at my desk for an entire week with nothing to do, the person that was supposed to be training me went to another country and no one thought ahead that maybe the new employee would need to be trained by one of the other 30-40 analysts!

Work on the Onboarding of your new employees.
    Decrease the amount of meetings- sometimes we had meetings to discuss planning another meeting!
    Everyone is not cut out to be a leader, some managers were such micromanagers that they cause the employees reporting to them to take drastic actions!

great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great training , well organized company .

Cons

some of upper management need to be replaced .

upper management should take more time to listen to sales people .

Do not work for this sleazy company

Former Employee - Not Sharing in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Not Sharing in Akron, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is not much that is a pro.

Cons

You will get far in this company if you are a good at brown nosing and telling on your coworkers. It is so sleazy. The team gets very involved in your personal life and the company as a whole is very much into gossip.Everyone gossips about everyone, no matter what level you are on. They constantly run short staffed in every department. This makes it a very chaotic and stressful place to work. The management will do whatever it takes to make themselves look good at the cost of any employee under them. There is no passion, just employees looking to make a buck locally. You rarely will hear an employee state they like their job, it is a pay check and that is all. They pay very low. People in the distribution areas make the lowest, and stay at a low rate no matter how long they have been there. An employee has been in distribution for around 20 years and makes a little over 15.00 an hour. The collections area expects very high numbers that are usually unattainable. Probably so they don't have to pay out bonuses as much. Unless you are in an area that work Mon-Fri expect to live there because they do not care how or when they schedule you. That goes for the field and home office. There isn't much work life balance. If you are single with no kids and have no life this part would not be bad for you. They are very obsessed with discrimination claims because of the bad press they have received with the currents claims. But, that is about all they care about. So if you are not in a protected class, you will be treated worse. It is an ongoing joke in the community that Sterling Jewelers Inc home office (NE Ohio) are always hiring because they treat employees so bad they cannot keep employees. Management plays favorites to the extreme.

One thing that can be done is stop allowing management to hire friends and relatives. To many times I have seen sleazy nasty managers get away with murder because most of the staff are friends, relatives, in-laws etc.

Mgr

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money is good. I like that you get credit and a percentage of the repairs. I also like the fact that you also get credit for ESPs as well.

Cons

The Hours there are really long. Sometimes the goals they have are crazy to meet especially when you are the Asst Mgr, acting Store Mgr, Office Mgr, and sales assc all at the same time.

My experience at Sterlings was very rewarding. I was very hands on, and was able to play a big role in companies growth.

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent, and 60% discount is awesome, plus being able to work with jewelry is exciting. They can get yearly raises.

Cons

Last minute request for mandatory overtime wasn't the best. Yes I loved the overtime but when plans have been made this isn't good. There is also a lot of drama there.

It's a shame for those of you who show favoritism. All employees should be able to advance into other opportunities. They shouldn't be stuck in a position where they can excel.

Sterling Jewelers Photos