Sterling Jewelers

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

Sterling Jewelers President & CEO Mark Light
Mark Light

Pros
  • discount on jewelry, flexible with your schedule (in 14 reviews)

• The pay is decent, and 60% discount is awesome, plus being able to work with jewelry is exciting (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance" is a ridiculous joke: "those lazy Gen-Xers" (in 14 reviews)

• You are expected to put in long hours without any comp time (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great potential but.....

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, the ability to learn and get certified , great co workers. Nice sorta professional environment. Live the 59+ hrs a week for holidays

Cons

Inspection inspection inspection, payment payments, always an issue w cheap jewelry, credit sucks 440 w 29% down good luck w that. Every other company offers more money and they walk

Stop having store managers sell, christ sakes they make a ton of money already yet your associates who sell a 1/2 a million barely survive, let them be support like zales... Some mgrs make 129k a year yet full time barely make 35k get them iff the floor

Timepiece Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Grandville, MI

I worked at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Working in jewelry is always fun.

Cons

The goals were unattainable and you're just a number in this huge company.

Loosen up on micromanaging

Collector for 1 yr and 2 months.

Current Employee - Collections Representative in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Collections Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sterling is a very diverse company, flexible schedule for those who need it, good benefits, o.t., on campus gym, jewelry discount.

Cons

Work hours can be too long especially when you have little ones, can cause health issues as well. I guess that's why they have the gym.

Management and supervisors should be trained, on a regular basis on subjects such as improving their managerial effectiveness, being the catalyst that motivates their team to heightened productivity, lead with excellence and transform their team for breakthrough results, enhancement skills, transitional training as well for Assistant Sups.

Good place to work

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Good teamwork, competitive, good management. Lots of training opportunities available. Competitive wages and bonus programs. #1 jewelry company in America.

Cons

Retail hours are hard, holidays are crazy busy. Managers must work 48 hour minimum work weeks which can be hard to balance with a family.

Keep training materials up to date. Consider managers work 40 hour work weeks. Quality is better than quantity sometimes.

Assistant Store Manager, nothing is ever appreciated

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Penn, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Penn, PA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

If you can get together with the right group or build the right team in a store, work can be enjoyable and everyone can make a decent amount of money. However, salaries are not competitive with other companies once you start looking at what else is out there.

Cons

Every district and region is handled different, no matter what the home office actually thinks, the rules at store level are very different from store to store, district to district and region to region. Myself and another employee were both hurt on the job, on camera, completely legitimate but different types of injuries, and both of us were fired, after the two largest sales holidays, we both worked while injuried 70 hours a week and had to go out on FMLA for procedures or surgery and during that time we were both fired. Both of us were high volume sales people but also were people that would give honest answers to our corporate office regarding management. I did not sue for workmans comp injuries, I just accepted my lost wages during the time I was unable to work before I was fired, I do not know if the other employee sued. This company has been sued so many times that it protects the bad and gets rid of the good, I found that out as manager while trying to discharge an employee for multiple employee code violations. The company was so afraid to fire the employee because of being sued, and there is currently an employee that I personally caught stealing, took photos of the evidence and sent them to my manager and district manager and because the company is afraid of retaliation, that employee was never even spoken to about it. The evidence was "put back" and it never happened. They are not at all an equal opportunity employer, if you have any disability or restrictions, DO NOT disclose that before being hired, or you will never get the job. Once you have an injury or restriction, they will do anything necessary to get rid of you. Also, it is a well known fact that can be looked up on the internet, the men are paid better then women, I have a friend that was a part of the class action lawsuit for this, and the starting pay always is very low. Expected standards to be met are very high, and can be met if you put everything into your work, as most managers do, but it would be very hard to be successful as part time. I would normally not voice my opinion about any such issues, I would only just tell people that I am no longer management for the company and I am working for another company, however, in this case I was offered several other equal positions and the pay will vary based on what I can prove I sold. I worked for a VERY large store and I am very proud of my sales standards as well as all of my other standards and President's Club awards and many monthy Assistant Store Manager awards, but sterling is refusing to release my own personal sales standards in any form. Which is actually holding me back from about a $4.00 per hour pay difference from a base offer to the offer if I can prove what I know I sold. This is not right and should not be legal.

My advice to management at corporate level is that there is a lot more that goes on at store level that you are not aware of. And everyone within the stores knows that if we were ever to speak up, and I did on occasion, you would somehow be retaliated against either by your direct manager or DM. TIPS does not work! Move on from that, I know it looks good in theory or your attorneys told you after the lawsuits that it would help the image, but it doesn't work. And I know for a fact that it doesn't work because someone from LP told me how the info is transmitted to him, and how its handled, and when I tried to use it, nothing happened. There is corruption at store level for DMs to get their numbers in at the end of a month or quarter by calling in a big buyer to charge something, and then returning it later. But if a DM knows they are being looked at or getting pressure from above, the numbers aren't always coming in legitimate, and there is no way that the CEO (not allowed to use his name) would ever know these things. It breeds for a hostile working environment and then on top of that when you know that people are breaking rules to make standards and managers and AMs can't really do anything about it, the team members all realize that and then they can either work with ethics or work like those team members with get away with so much. Credit fraud is extreme and I know that is something that is in fact taken serious, but you are only seeing the very tip of the ice burg. I would love to come back to the company and work with audit now because of all of the things I caught in my own stores, I would know what to be looking for in others. I have told the auditor some of the things to look for and that person did catch problems, people were discharged for this. But again, its just the tip. I can't approve or disapprove of "the CEO" because he cannot honestly know what goes on at all of the stores.

Manager

I worked at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Great discount on all jewelry

Cons

leaders should help employees succeed

28yrs of experience doesn't matter ,even with Henry Shaw Award !

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milledgeville, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milledgeville, GA

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers (more than 10 years)

Pros

Build the business ,build a team its works then along comes ...

Cons

Someone that does like that you can get more done in a day than they can in a week ,you are stepped down ,told you can manage another or be an asst in yet still another just not in the store you are in now .

When someone higher up wants you out ,that's who corporate will believe .

Sterling Jewelers jewelry sales and credit

Former Employee - Full Time Sales in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales in Charleston, SC

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love everything Jewelry. I was able to get my diamond certification while I worked there. I also worked with wonderful people. Our store was very fair and we were happy for each other when we reached our goals. Sterling wanted us to turn over or work together to close the sale. I feel that helped our store hit our top goals. It was a great place to work.

Cons

Not offering the Gemology course through DCA. Being worried about our goals and stressed all the time. Never seeing your family very much. Cause your schedule is different every week. The started pay wasn't very good.

More pay for experience employees

good review

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

an easily move up in the company

Cons

not a good work and home life balance

Well structured company with many perks....commissioned based...highly competitive.

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Helping people and making them happy....opportunity to make good money.

Cons

People can get cut throat.

Sterling Jewelers Photos