Sterling Jewelers

Sterling Jewelers Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Sterling Jewelers President & CEO Mark Light

Mark Light

Pros
  • discount on jewelry, flexible with your schedule (in 12 reviews)

• The pay is decent, and commission checks are very nice (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance" is a ridiculous joke: "those lazy Gen-Xers" (in 9 reviews)

• You are expected to put in long hours without any comp time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Unrealistic goal expectations, poor quality merchandise

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Danville, VA

Prosfun merchandise, girls love jewelry

Conscheap quality, lots of customer service issues

Long hours, huge contributions to Sterling's success with no reward of recognition

Department Manager (Former Employee) Ghent, OH

ProsNice environment, nice corporate facilities, good benefits.

ConsPolitical and very cut throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who have been loyal and who made outstanding contributions to the bottom line.

Manager

Manager (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThe benefits are good. Medical, dental, vision, 401k, vacation and holiday pay. Debt free company with plenty of ability to relocate.

ConsThe pay is poor compared to the work required and the hours you have to work. Manager's hours are fixed and working 48hr+ a week leaves little or no time for family. I have worked in different positions in several of their brands ( JB Robinson, Jared The Galleria of Jewelry, and Kay's.) I have had different District Managers and Regional VPs and have seen no consistency with any of them. I have seen these managers have affairs and personally known them to have inappropriate contact with their managers and employees. This is common in my experience. I know this has been brought to the highest levels of management, but nothing is done to correct it. All that matters is your sales line today. If your numbers are there, you can get away with murder.
     The current management tag line is " Perception is reality". Meaning if they believe it or two people say it, it must be true. I hope they also apply that to the law suits against them for gender and race discrimination. They hold up upper management that are females and say " see we can't be discriminatory against women, we have female executives". Yea, sorta like saying " I can't be racist, I have a black friend". I have personally been told Sterling is and has promoted blacks over whites because of law suits and the need to appear non discriminatory.
     Also , don't believe there is an open door policy, if you complain to the wrong person about the wrong person, they'll find a reason to fire you. Mark Light is held up to the world as the new Messiah and the work Sterling does for St. Jude's . That's like saying Hilter was a great guy because he kissed babies during photo ops.
     If you need a job apply, just don't drink the Kool-aid.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit looking at reports and get back to talking to your employees. Many a great man has fallen by surrounding himself with "yes" men. This might be your Caligula moment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great pay, poor life outside of work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, 401k, health, stock options. Everyday is an adventure, good bad. Room to advance and transfer, promotes from within.

ConsCrummy merchandise, mostly sterling silver. Terrible vacation time options, between special events, holidays, and inventories there is not much time available for people to actually take vacations. Meetings are often sprung onto managers last minute requirng them to work on days off. 60-70 hour work weeks during holiday. The better you do this year you have to do 40% better next year or no commission. You are yelled at daily because of late repairs, and crummy merch. You better be good at selling bears and collecting money for st. Judes on top of everything else you have to sell daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales associates and management are not robots. Buy better jewelry for us to sell. Fear is not a good tool to get results.

Job itself is ok the co workers are awful

ProsPotential for growth if youwant to stay with the company

ConsCoworkers and vicious and mean they are back stabbing

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Churn and Burn

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsCareer advancement opportunity. Nice benefits package, 401k, medical, dental, vision, prescription, stock savings plan...
    Nice merchandise discount

Conswork life balance for management. Store manager minimum work schedule is 48 (minimum!) per week. 5 day and 6 day rotating work schedule. Too little training, people promoted too quickly and fail to succeed, When ones fail and turn over is high, the cycle of promoting people who are not trained/not prepared and ultimately fail, is perpetuated

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to a "big picture" view of what it takes to be a leader. Leaders must be successful and lead by example, but must also have leadership abilities. Allow managers to manage and to sell- to many processes to manage have gotten in the way of teaching, coaching and relationship building with associates and with guests.

Bad management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Brownsville, TX

ProsGreat discount, love working hours, meeting new people

ConsAssistant manager took my sales and brought it up to manager and didn't do anything about it. If you become too reliable for them they will take advantage of you.

pay is ok

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosfun people. love learning so much. there is a lot of places to transfer to.

Conslow pay, hostility within employees, to much competiton in the work place

Just a number

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, commission is fair, good health insurance, significant discount on merchandise

ConsCorporate doesn't care about individuals, just numbers. Employees are forced to get 1 person/day to fill out a credit application, regardless of how busy the location is. You literally have to stand at the front of the store and beg passersby to give up their personal information at times. Politics run rampant, and district managers will promote their friends before anyone else, even if their friends aren't the most qualified. Starting pay is ridiculously low.

Kay Jewlers

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Morrow, GA

ProsStrong policies and marketing techniques. Relaxed place to work with exception to goals. Competitive environment, but very performance driven.

ConsSometimes management at the store level can be abrupt and varies among stores.

Advice to Senior Managementinvestigations of management style.

Worked for Sterling Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!