Sterling Life Insurance

www.sterlingplans.com

Sterling Life Insurance Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2014
Sterling Life Insurance – US – “Corporate Training-View from the Hilton”

Michael A Muchnicki

My time at Sterling was OK but could have been better.

Intern (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsGreat and talented people work there. They work hard and truly care about the company. Good company to get a corporate experience.

ConsThere is not enough staff and the employees are overworked. The company culture is not the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiven up the company culture. Happy employees makes a productive work environment. Hire more staff.

Friendly, yet constant change.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat support from FSMs and MMs

ConsSPP Bonus program change not fair.

They promise leads but only provide recycled cold call lists. Very disappointing.

Sales Agent Producer (Current Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsNone, even the benefits are the same cost as it t They are not honest about what they would be if they brokered their own plan. They are not an honest company with their agents.

ConsThey will lead you to believe they have enough business to keep you busy but what they are counting on is your willingness to cold call and walk into local businesses without any supplies or reimbursement for your car or computer. Basically you could do the same being an independent agent making much higher commissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand behind what you promise agents. Without the agents you won't have many happy clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best job I have ever had helping people and with sucess!

Insurance Agent (Current Employee) Wenatchee, WA

ProsSupport, Training, Motivation, and Success!

ConsCold calls for the first several months until you build a client base.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice needed. They have it totally together!

Rocky, non communicative,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

Prosnone, once had local office. Good benefits , but expensive

ConsLack of products, Price uncompetitive, Errors on paychecks and issues never resolved. local management incompetent. Lack of support in all area. Low commmissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more products to market. Need local office and competent management. correct payroll system. Advertise some, as is there is no advertising, increase commission scale.

....

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsFlex time, own schedule for work

ConsLeadership at the Boise office did not have good training for new agents

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I started I was told they would provide all my training, They did not provide any training

A Company in Transition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsSterling offers a number of opportunities to contribute and to learn. The city is a beautiful place to live if you like the outdoors.

ConsThe company is in transition from one type of products to another and from one centrally located headquarters to a geographically distributed executive team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave at least one executive at the C-level who is at the Bellingham location more often than not. Headquarters feels orphaned from the vision of the "pivot".

Tough business to break into

Field Sales Agent (Former Employee) Longview, WA

ProsGreat Co-Workers, helpful, small office atmosphere.

ConsTough economy to start a new career in unless you have another wage earner in the family. 100% commission in a very seasonal business. Limited product offering. New Agent incentives are earned strictly from earned commission. You invest personal training time and dollars upfront to get your license.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a minimal base subsistence salary for the 1st 18 months. Create a full product line offering that customer actually want.

a.k.a. Sterling Health Plans

Fie Sales Manager (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsVery competitive in a growing Senior market.
    Management is very "hands-on" and competent.

ConsNegative "stigma" of insurance industry in general can be difficult to overcome especially with timid Seniors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore marketing to increase brand and name recognition in the marketplace.

Great place to work if you want to do a lot of work and not get paid for it!

Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsThe balance between work and family life is great. You can get time off whenever you need it. The office that I worked for had a lot of great people in it. They give you great training, and it would be very difficult to get fired. The senior market loves Sterling, and you get a lot of business from word of mouth.

ConsThey have a very limited amount of products that you can sell, so when your not in open or annual enrollment for Medicare, it is very difficult to earn money. They are pushing door to door B2B sales as well as residential door to door sales. I had a few run ins with them not wanting to compensate me for my work. They are on a tight budget right now and don't spend any money on radio ads or TV ads, or any other marketing materials you may need.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money on advertising! The seniors think that Sterling is no longer in business! Also, give your new agents a base pay to help them through the dry periods. Also, you need to be consistent on how you are paying commissions to every one!

Worked for Sterling Life Insurance? Contribute to the Community!