Sterling Life Insurance Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Insurance Company "Outside The Box"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sterling Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vision for future, good leadership from top down, salaries are very competitive.

Cons

Limited profuct offerings for agents, need to have products on their own paper, and spend more money on offices and less on flying new agents across the country for training.

Advice to Management

Give the Market Managers the tools to be successful and then get out of the way, limit the boring conference calls and bump their salaries, they are the lifeblood fo the system!

2. Good People and Company but Tough Sell

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Sterling Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. District Manager was a great guy. Company makes it easy to work for them.

Cons

Products can be a tough sale because they are not very price competative. Would do much better if they offered Medicare advantage plans in addition to suppliments. So many products are unavailable in the TN market and the company seems to be in transition.

Advice to Management

Offer a full line of products in the Med Supp area so agents can compete. Get settled

May have once been great, but now a terrible place to work.

Current Employee - Middle Management in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

A steady paycheck in an otherwise turbulent economy. They also offer a decent 401k with employer matching to a certain percentage.

Cons

A couple of years ago the company integrated with Windsor Health Group out of Nashville and shipped most of the business there, cutting hundreds of jobs in the Bellingham area. Inept senior management who lack a fundamental understanding of how the business functions. The company focus shifted from being very customer service oriented to extremely bottom-line oriented, no matter the impacts to the customers or providers. No understanding of work/life balance for salaried employees, even on vacations you are typically expected to work (if you are lucky enough to have one approved in the fist place - losing accrued vacation time at the end of the year is a rampant problem). Employees are extremely overworked across the organization and morale is very low. The HR department is extremely unhelpful if you have issues as most of the typical functions are outsourced and management will side with the higher-ranking employee in what probably nears 100% of disputes. If you are promoted from within the company you will receive significantly lower salary than someone coming from outside the company for the same job. Also, salaries are not at all competitive. Finally, although the company is posting huge losses we continue to receive (infrequent) communications from the CEO/executive level that the future is rosy and bright. I wouldn't recommend working here unless you are desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Please realize that you are overworking your employees and that morale is extremely low, and the "Rowers Code" training will never work if YOU don't start displaying the behaviors it promotes. You are consistently making decisions that lower the quality of service to our members and providers and it really shows. Treat your employees well and you'll flourish, treat them poorly and you'll sink. I'm reaching for my life jacket.

Great, caring people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

The people that work for Sterling are friendly and helpful both in the sales force and the home office. The best thing is the ethical culture of the company which promotes integrity and honesty in your business practices and putting the needs of the customer first.

Cons

Company recently went through a restructuring to keep up with changes in the healthcare industry and government funding changes to contracted plans.

Advice to Management

Better communication between departments and the field

My time at Sterling was OK but could have been better.

Current Employee - Intern in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

Great and talented people work there. They work hard and truly care about the company. Good company to get a corporate experience.

Cons

There is not enough staff and the employees are overworked. The company culture is not the best.

Advice to Management

Liven up the company culture. Happy employees makes a productive work environment. Hire more staff.

Friendly, yet constant change.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

Great support from FSMs and MMs

Cons

SPP Bonus program change not fair.

8. They promise leads but only provide recycled cold call lists. Very disappointing.

Current Employee - Sales Agent Producer in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent Producer in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

None, even the benefits are the same cost as it t They are not honest about what they would be if they brokered their own plan. They are not an honest company with their agents.

Cons

They will lead you to believe they have enough business to keep you busy but what they are counting on is your willingness to cold call and walk into local businesses without any supplies or reimbursement for your car or computer. Basically you could do the same being an independent agent making much higher commissions.

Advice to Management

Stand behind what you promise agents. Without the agents you won't have many happy clients.

The best job I have ever had helping people and with sucess!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Wenatchee, WA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Wenatchee, WA

I have been working at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

Support, Training, Motivation, and Success!

Cons

Cold calls for the first several months until you build a client base.

Advice to Management

No advice needed. They have it totally together!

10. Rocky, non communicative,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

none, once had local office. Good benefits , but expensive

Cons

Lack of products, Price uncompetitive, Errors on paychecks and issues never resolved. local management incompetent. Lack of support in all area. Low commmissions.

Advice to Management

Need more products to market. Need local office and competent management. correct payroll system. Advertise some, as is there is no advertising, increase commission scale.

11. ....

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boise, ID

I worked at Sterling Life Insurance

Pros

Flex time, own schedule for work

Cons

Leadership at the Boise office did not have good training for new agents

Advice to Management

When I started I was told they would provide all my training, They did not provide any training

RSS Feed </> Embed