Sterling-Rice Reviews

3.4
Buddy Ketchner

1. Big Boulder Agency

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Pros

Great views of the flatirons. National accounts. Nice people.

Cons

Not so accessible. Too disjointed--left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Or if there is a left hand. Parking is an issue unless you ride your bike to work.

Advice to Management

Lots of local talent going unnoticed who'd love to add to this shop.

2. Fun, energizing, smart

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good client roster with a variety of projects, unique balance of innovation and advertising within the agency, respect their employees and treat them really well - through benefits, vacation, flexible hours and atmosphere, work events,etc. Very open environment for feedback

Cons

Left during a time where there were changes in leadership that were affecting the growth of the company. Not a unique situation to SRG and something any growing agency has to go through.

Advice to Management

Continue to be diligent about mentorship programs and listening to junior employees. Made it an awesome place to work and grow in your career!

3. Great talent, but lacking direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart, hard-working people at SRG. The culture is welcoming, and almost everyone one is pleasant to work with. If variety of accounts is your cup of tea, this is a great place.

Cons

SRG is an extremely top heavy company. Sometimes it feels like there are the same amount of senior leadership members as people who do the work, and manage the day to day.

Advice to Management

Invest in more workers -- not more senior leaders.

5. Account Management Intern

Pros

Great people, great office space

Cons

There aren't really any cons about SRG, its a great place to work.

6. A braintrust the likes of which I've never experienced. I learned a ton in the one year that I spent here.

Former Employee - Senior Digital Planner in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Planner in Boulder, CO

Pros

Incredibly smart people, great clients and killer offices.

Cons

Surprisingly conservative and corporate feel to the environment. I decided to grow a beard while I was working here (2009) and it became a big topic of conversation and something that was mentioned to me all the time. Individuality not a widely valued personality attribute.

Advice to Management

You don't need my advice. You're the best in the business. Keep it up.

7. Good job, good company

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

The company provides great benefits and a nice location. Most people are friendly and nice. Varied and diverse clients, projects, work. Very generous sick leave and vacation policies.

Cons

Little too much of senior management playing favorites, so not giving as many or as good opportunities to other employees that might be interested.

8. Comfortable job, if you're ok with status quo.

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance for the industry. Excellent health benefits, etc. that add up to real value on your post-tax paycheck. Great office location, centrally located in downtown Boulder.

Cons

Management is overly top-heavy and unaligned. No clear directive or point of view. Creative suffers as a result. New business wins and solid clients hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Don't worry so much about like-ability. It can back-fire.

Fortunate to have found SRG.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SRG is very vocal about it's core values, and they do their very best to live them every day. I really do believe that they take feedback and criticism to heart, and do their best to do right by the company, their employees, and the community as a whole. They understand that it is their people that make them great, and while it is acknowledged that the business that we are in is a demanding one, SRG emphasizes work/life balance and having fun. SRG has high expectations of its people, but it will not leave you on your own. Mentors abound at SRG, and they are more than willing to have a cup of coffee and give guidance along the way. I have found this company to be a great place to learn and grow, and while a small percentage of folks might not be happy, there are a plethora of people who have been here for years (or who go and come back) who understand that this is a truly special place not to be taken for granted. SRG also takes its commitment to the community (both locally and globally) extremely seriously. At the end of the day, you truly feel as though you yourself are making a difference, and that your company is making a difference.

Cons

Some members of senior leadership don't always set the example when it comes to work/life balance, which can leave you feeling a little guilty when going home to your family at 5 o'clock.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to try something new. Sometimes it's the people at the bottom with the best ideas.

Truly Amazing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After a few years here I still feel good about my decision to join SRG. We've had a tough year and the leadership team is doing what they need to do to get us back on track. This can include the toughest decisions ever. But it is done here from the heart. And while I may not always understand all decisions I trust that they were made with business needs in mind and good intentions.

Cons

I'm not sure there's anything that leaders aren't aware of. No need to share publicly because I see things being addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep your heart in the game, be fiscally conservative, and move swiftly.

Company culture feels forced and disingenuous

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

The main pro is that the local community in Boulder has a positive impression of this organization.

Cons

Very limited growth and professional development opportunities. Good benefits, however compensation is below industry averages so it evens out. Much is said about work/life balance, but employees are too busy to take vacation time without being viewed as not being a team player. Weak leadership by President and CFO. Poor internal communication and lack of transparency. Organization does not live up to the values it declares.

Advice to Management

Shake things up. Too much dead weight, especially at the top. Staying enthusiastic and motivated to work here is becoming harder and harder.

RSS Feed </> Embed