Sterling-Rice

3.3

Buddy Ketchner

Good job, good company

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

The company provides great benefits and a nice location. Most people are friendly and nice. Varied and diverse clients, projects, work. Very generous sick leave and vacation policies.

Cons

Little too much of senior management playing favorites, so not giving as many or as good opportunities to other employees that might be interested.

Comfortable job, if you're ok with status quo.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance for the industry. Excellent health benefits, etc. that add up to real value on your post-tax paycheck. Great office location, centrally located in downtown Boulder.

Cons

Management is overly top-heavy and unaligned. No clear directive or point of view. Creative suffers as a result. New business wins and solid clients hard to come by.

Don't worry so much about like-ability. It can back-fire.

Fortunate to have found SRG.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SRG is very vocal about it's core values, and they do their very best to live them every day. I really do believe that they take feedback and criticism to heart, and do their best to do right by the company, their employees, and the community as a whole. They understand that it is their people that make them great, and while it is acknowledged that the business that we are in is a demanding one, SRG emphasizes work/life balance and having fun.

SRG has high expectations of its people, but it will not leave you on your own. Mentors abound at SRG, and they are more than willing to have a cup of coffee and give guidance along the way. I have found this company to be a great place to learn and grow, and while a small percentage of folks might not be happy, there are a plethora of people who have been here for years (or who go and come back) who understand that this is a truly special place not to be taken for granted.

SRG also takes its commitment to the community (both locally and globally) extremely seriously. At the end of the day, you truly feel as though you yourself are making a difference, and that your company is making a difference.

Cons

Some members of senior leadership don't always set the example when it comes to work/life balance, which can leave you feeling a little guilty when going home to your family at 5 o'clock.

Don't be afraid to try something new. Sometimes it's the people at the bottom with the best ideas.

Truly Amazing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After a few years here I still feel good about my decision to join SRG. We've had a tough year and the leadership team is doing what they need to do to get us back on track. This can include the toughest decisions ever. But it is done here from the heart. And while I may not always understand all decisions I trust that they were made with business needs in mind and good intentions.

Cons

I'm not sure there's anything that leaders aren't aware of. No need to share publicly because I see things being addressed.

Keep your heart in the game, be fiscally conservative, and move swiftly.

Company culture feels forced and disingenuous

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

The main pro is that the local community in Boulder has a positive impression of this organization.

Cons

Very limited growth and professional development opportunities. Good benefits, however compensation is below industry averages so it evens out. Much is said about work/life balance, but employees are too busy to take vacation time without being viewed as not being a team player. Weak leadership by President and CFO. Poor internal communication and lack of transparency. Organization does not live up to the values it declares.

Shake things up. Too much dead weight, especially at the top. Staying enthusiastic and motivated to work here is becoming harder and harder.

Something has to change.

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

SRG has amazing benefits. After 5 years you get 4 weeks vacation, and 5 after ten. The health benefits for employees is almost fully paid.

Cons

SRG is seriously disorganized and lacks leadership in many key areas. Not to mention very top heavy. They seem to have a hard time retaining there best talent because they aren't willing to pay more competitive wages.

Take the blinders off and make some of the changes that have been suggested over the past 4 satisfaction surveys. Please make a leadership change. We need a business savvy leader not a cheerleader.

Outstanding, world-class company. Work here if you get the opportunity to.

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The smartest people I know are within the walls of SRG. Not only are they smart... but they're also the kindest and most fun group of people you'll meet. SRG has an integrated model that is truly, truly unique. If you're lucky enough to work for SRG, you'll wear many different hats, no two days will be the same, and you'll love the people you work with. Managers are also extremely conscientious of their employee's career goals, seeking out growth opportunities for them left and right. I felt consistently challenged and happy at Sterling-Rice Group and I learned something new every single day. I always left work feeling inspired. What more could you ask for than that?

I honestly could not give higher praise to Sterling-Rice Group as a company. They are outstanding.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about SRG. They're smart, buttoned-up, professional, strategic, froward-thinking, innovative and fun. I hope to find another company like SRG in my new city.

So, to that point, the only down-side is that SRG has one office in Boulder. If my wish came true, they'd expand offices to other cities and share their talent with companies on the West and East cost.

I had the utmost trust and confidence in the Sr. Leadership team. I always felt that the decisions they made were best not only for the company, but more importantly for SRG's employees and for our culture. Keep doing what you're doing!

Great company, but a little old fashioned

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

Good culture for the most part

Cons

Old fashioned structure prevents good creative

Be less rigid and interact with employees on all levels.

Stay far away from SRG

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good location. Good vacation and health benefits. Great people

Cons

Terrible executive leadership; the current president is completely incompetent. Decisions are made based on his personal opinions and biases (note - he adores advertising account management and digital advertising, despite the fact SRG has little presence in either), as opposed to what actually makes business and financial sense. Leadership is incredibly dishonest at this point, despite the company claiming honesty as a fundamental belief.

Low salary and no real process surrounding how compensation is decided upon.

Fire the president and focus on consulting. Advertising is not happening anymore. SRG was a great place to work, but mismanagement, dishonesty and poor treatment of several employees has tainted it to the point that it's nearly embarrassing to say I worked here.

Lacking a real president...

Current Employee - Creative in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Creative in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have great vacation and health benefits. When you have worked at SRG for more then five years you receive 4 weeks vacation. Definitely a great perk.

Cons

SRG needs a president, not a used car salesmen. The leadership is beyond lacking and therefore has caused a large lack of direction. He is more worried about his personal interests vs if it actually makes sense for the greater good of the company.

Take a look at the Creative department. They have had a new leader every two years over the last 8. The culture has gone downhill and the lack of respect for employees is appalling. 10 years of trying to build a digital department with it still not being up and running says it all.

Get a new leader! Everyone has said it for years in the satisfaction survey, yet they won't make a change. That would fix a majority of the problems because people can see through the fake personality. Sometimes you have to own up that you made a mistake. There is no shame in that because you will end up saving the jobs of many people vs. running into the iceberg.

Figure out what you're really good at and own it vs trying a little bit of everything when you produce average work. People can see right through it...