Sterling-Rice

Sterling-Rice Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Buddy Ketchner

Privilege to work here

Account Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the industries brightest. They care passionately about employees, are very open with company strategy, financial goals. They encourage advancement and have a great review process. Fun company outings. They've never had layoffs. Excellent profit sharing plan.

ConsLong-term retention has pros/cons. Change is slow, slow to evolve with the changing digital world, old school mentality. Top heavy with Partners and Directors. They are open to hearing new ideas but shy from trying things out.

Going Downhill Fast!

I have been working at Sterling-Rice

ProsLocation. Fascinating work. Flexible work schedule and comfortable environment. Strong consulting groups.

ConsVery poor executive leadership. Compensation far below market value for area and type of work (think 20 - 30% less). No attempt to keep high performing employees. Talent flight has been rampant for the past several years with no sign of a slow down.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop investing in the 4th tier advertising agency at the expense of the high profile, high performing consulting business. Remove the current president and his failing ideas before it is too late.

Great place to work; company well positioned for growth into 2014-2018.

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIntegrated model founded in the strategy/innovation space offering access to blue chip clients in food & beverage space. Expansion of office space and renovations have contributed to growing energy within company. Strong company-wide focus on importance of having a good work/life balance. Profit-sharing.

ConsSmall creative department; workload/output/needs can be unpredictable at times. Unfortunately, the office remains open during the holidays, from December 26th to December 30th, so vacation time must be saved to ensure the time off, which is especially hard when family is out of state.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recruit the best junior & mid-level talent across creative, digital, dev-ux & innovation. Consider closing office between Christmas and New Years.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There's a solid base of management, and a lot of lost souls

Integrated Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time for more than a year

Pros- Excellent presence in the community
- Culinary background is exceptional
- Good culture for those in the Boulder community
- HR is top-notch
- Strategy team is solid
- Decent perks

ConsThe creative side of this agency is rudderless. They will not commit or support new ways of thinking. When bringing in new concepts (digital - 5 years too late) the old guard blocks the new way of thinking. Account managers make promises the digital project managers can't support, and the project manager takes the hit.

Creativity is a bit of a stretch as an adjective for the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to become a real player in digital advertising you need to trust AND support those you bring in. The turnover in this area shows your failure.

Fantastic People and Place to Work

Media Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time for more than a year

ProsIndependent agency with fantastic working culture, people and environment. People are passionate about the work that they do and are happy to help guide new employees. Overall this company sets the bar high and the only reason I left was because of relocation preferences. Sterling-Rice Group is truly a gem in my heart and I would recommend it to anyone. Smart, innovative & effective ad agency indeed.

ConsBecause it's an independent agency, promotions can take a bit longer than desired to go through due to budgetary restraints

Successful at research and branding, not advertising.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time for more than a year

Pros-You work in beautiful BOULDER!

-They excel at research, branding and product positioning, especially in the culinary market.

-The company is successful in some fields and still growing after nearly 30 years.

Cons-Calling themselves an advertising agency is ridiculous. They're still a Marketing and research firm despite their efforts.

-Very "boys club" management that is too arrogant to fire their "buddies" and actually improve departmental leadership and the quality of their work.

-Their "Creative" department is a joke despite having some talented mid-level creatives.

-Account teams don't fight for creative + Creative Directors don't fight for creative = Bad Creative.

-One of the few places I've seen where women can feel very uncomfortable despite being in an office predominately employing women. id est–the male management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit or fire each other and let HR (lovely people) attempt to clean up your mess.

Great place to work, with great people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people! Fast paced, fun culture.

ConsYou won't always get to work with big, flashy clients that some of the bigger shops work with or the budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your people.

Fantastic people in a great environment

Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

ProsSmart, creative, and driven people

ConsHeavy work loads at times

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Sterling-Rice

ProsGreat employee benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401K, profit sharing, life, etc), work/life balance, innovative and creative work. SRG treats their employees well. Offering free parking, several offsite company-wide meetings a year, rewards and recongnition, great leadership. SRG is an amazing contributor to the Boulder Comminuty. Great place to work. Located in downtown Boulder, and a great view of the flatirons. We work hard and play hard

ConsThe company has grown significantly in the past year, making sure not you are not just another face in the crowd is important.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with individual employees, learn about their goals, expectations and ideas. Everyone has good ideas, not just the management team.

Pros and Cons of SRG

I have been working at Sterling-Rice

ProsGood people, great work atmosphere and office, flexible work schedule, big name Fortune 500 clients, interesting and innovative work, great charitable culture and belief

ConsLong long hours and mediocre pay; Variety of difficult work styles to work with; Expectations for everyone to be a work-a-holic involuntarily

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay structure for lower and mid level employees; Follow through better on work life balance promise

Worked for Sterling-Rice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sterling-Rice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sterling-Rice CEO Buddy Ketchner . All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Sterling-Rice employees.