Stetson University

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.7

Wendy B. Libby

Enjoyable place to study and relax.

I have been working at Stetson University

Pros

Beautiful campus to walk around.

Cons

Parking spots need to be increased.

update parking.

Mediocre at Best

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Deland, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Deland, FL

I worked at Stetson University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

beautiful, historic campus in quaint and thriving small town

Cons

Salary is very low. After having discussed privately with other current and former employees - and having personally worked for various higher education institutions - I can attest that Stetson's salary is much lower than other schools.

The next concern is benefits. I could not afford the university's benefits package. When I went mentioned to the HR director that I felt the monthly and yearly fees were too high, I was surprised when he told me that most people (including himself!) go with the ACA (Obamacare) instead!

As for work environment, it is a very "good ol' boys" network. Many employees are alumni. That is usually a good sign, but not at Stetson. If you are not an alumni, you are viewed as sub-par, and are treated as such.

In the end, there is nothing inherently "wrong" with Stetson. It is just behind the eight ball in many aspects. From HR, marketing, technology, research, and classroom instruction, the institution is still stubbornly doing things the way they were done 10 years ago. It is not wise to ignore industry standards and innovations, especially in higher education.

pay employees a living or at least comparable wage and there won't be such high turnover, stop giving preferential treatment to alumni employees, adhere to industry standards and open eyes to what other institutions are doing

Nice to work with people who are truly dedicated to their work, the students, and the institution.

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

I have been working at Stetson University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stetson has done the hard work of identifying where it needed to improve and taking steps to make those improvements. In so doing it has become clear that the people who work here want to be the best and are willing to do what it takes, even with tight resources, to continue to strive toward some pretty lofty goals.

Cons

Resources are tight. Things like university policies and procedures are outdated and the employees who have been around for a long time are struggling to see why they need to be updated - but they do!

Look at some of the skills of people who are locked into positions and find ways to use those skills that people would like to contribute, before hiring someone else who has no history with the institution.

Look beyond the idyllic campus view

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deland, FL

I have been working at Stetson University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you love helping students, Stetson is a good place to work. If you like a beautiful campus, Stetson may work for you.

Cons

No opportunities for personal growth, recognition or advancement. Loyal, competent and hardworking employees are all but exploited until burnout or until competitive infighting takes over their priority. Competitive infighting comes down from the top, and middle management is the most oppressive. Small town, job scarcity and fear-based incentive to continue working in a toxic environment.

Improve technology so that employees can actually do their jobs. Take time to investigate the source of a problem; don't dismiss capable and loyal employees based on reviews of incompetent management. Seriously consider training for all levels, especially management, on how to create a positive work environment and how to recognize and report harassment. Value your employees and stop the infighting at all levels.

Two classes of employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deland, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deland, FL

I worked at Stetson University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Educational atmosphere and environment; not as fast paced as a commercial job.

Cons

Those who are not "academic" (ie: faculty) are second class employees. Stetson is struggling with revenues and retention. Raises are poor and do not keep up with the cost of living much less provide any merit increases. Facilities and equipment needs suffer. There is an unhealthy obsession with sports, and since dogs are permitted on campus, there is a flea problem in the common areas. Very little opportunity for growth and promotion.

Value your employees who, while not possessing an advanced degree, have real-world experience in doing their jobs. Share the wealth; it is not fair for someone to be earning 5 or 6 hundred thousand a year while others can barely afford to live based on the meager salaries. Drop the obsession with sports and focus on what the business is there for in the first place: Education.,

Great work-life balance, friendly work environment and College is striving for further success.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Academic Success and Bar Preparation Services in Gulfport, FL

I have been working at Stetson University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hire solid individuals; thus, it is a joy to go to work each day and work among a friendly, intellectual and hard-working group. The College of Law strives to get better each year; therefore, they challenge each department on campus to reach a high bar. I work closely with a team of four other people in my department who are dedicated to the students and bringing value to the College of Law. Opportunity to build great relationships with students who are very appreciative of your assistance with their academics and passing the bar exam. Work-life balance is easily achieved as it is generally a 8:30-5pm job which generally brings little stress.

Cons

The salary is $16,000 less than the average pay for this type of position and the College of Law is currently not in a position to increase our salaries due to decreased enrollment and such. The work isn't very challenging...once you learn how to perform this job (which takes only a couple of months) it gets a bit redundant. I am an attorney and thus I wouldn't mind more intellectual stimulation throughout the day.

Great experience

I worked at Stetson University

Pros

Great atmosphere and compensations and office culture

Cons

No real Cons about Stetson

Great place for an internship

Former Intern - Graduate Assistant in De Land, FL
    Former Intern - Graduate Assistant in De Land, FL

I worked at Stetson University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was provided autonomy to develop skills I wished to and had great support from my supervisor. I learned quite a bit and would have loved to stay on but the opportunity was not available. By far, my best internship experience.

Cons

Could have easily been a full time position but was capped at 20 hours/week. Not much opportunity for being hired on after graduation, most to all positions are already taken.

Amazing colleagues and fun atmosphere!

Current Intern - Intern in Deland, FL
    Current Intern - Intern in Deland, FL

I have been working at Stetson University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Stetson University revolves around its values and the highly qualified staff/faculty who work there truly buy into it! There are always many collaborative projects and the University is a complete community with many caring individuals

Cons

The University is private which means some resources are limited but this experience is very much worth it! This would be the only draw back because it limits what you can do with the students.

Keep growing and being collaborative! Many universities are harshly segmented by department but by collaborating and working together Stetson has a unique foothold in higher education!

Great co-workers and supervisors.

I have been working at Stetson University

Pros

I have developed a lot as an employee.
    Very understanding. Will accommodate schedule changes when things come up in school or family life.

Cons

Underpaid, student's make more hourly than I do and I have a degree from Stetson.
    Work more hours than contract specifies.