Steve and Kate's Camp

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
3.6

Steve & Kate Susskind

A unique organization with great people

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time

Pros

-Unique business/model, the job is not comparable to many other's out there. I get to be involved in marketing, HR, operations, customer experience and more.
    -The company is stocked full of amazing people
    -I am given a lot of responsibility, independence and autonomy

Cons

-The company has grown really quickly (which is a good thing) but it seems the growth is too fast and resources aren't always allocated the right way in order to support long term goals and employee retention.
    -Your summers will never be the same - you may have to miss out on special family gatherings, weddings, or vacations as it is nearly impossible to take time off during the summer, but that's the nature of the business we're in (summer camp).

I never want to leave this company

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I came into this company as a seasonal employee and have been able to find a home as a year-round employee. Though I'd worked at summer camps before, I was initially drawn to this because it stood out as being really different - both in educational philosophy and their approach. And it continues to be one of the most unique and rewarding experiences of my day to day life.

I love the people I work with. They are passionate, funny, intelligent, and all working towards a common purpose. I'd hang out with any of these folks outside of work. And I do, regularly. But even while at work, they challenge me and help me to do my own job better.

The company is still growing. Both in terms of physical/operational growth but also in terms of defining how we want to interact with each other. The best part? I get to be a part of defining what it is that we do with that on a day to day basis. A lot of companies talk about wanting to hear from employees - this one lives up to it. Do they always act on every idea or suggestion I give? Nope. But I almost always know why something happened one way vs. another.

Cons

Things are always changing. And sometimes that's hard. But I'll take this any day over letting things be stale or stagnant.

Things are definitely still being ironed out in lots of places. There's been so much growth so quickly that playing catch-up is rough sometimes. So sometimes things are inefficient. But usually those get changed relatively quickly (within a year or so).

You work so closely with the families who use the program that it's hard not to have things feel really personal. When stuff goes wrong, you are much more likely to be hard on yourself than someone else will be (which is a good thing!) but it also means that you definitely take some of that emotion home with you. For me, at least, the lines between the work and home life definitely blur.

Keep looking forward. I love being a part of a company that is challenging how things are done.

Dec 18, 2014People Ops

Thank you so much for your feedback! We feel lucky to have people on our team who are so positive and enthusiastic about what we are doing, even when things are changing. We appreciate you putting so ... More

A company with a great mission but flawed organization.

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time

Pros

A lot of the people are friendly. I get 3 months off each year. The campers make it worth it.

Cons

Hypocrisy. They say there is no hierarchy but that is a lie. If you are not an owner or in one of the top five positions at the main office in the Bay Area you are probably overworked and underpaid. There are two classes of employees at S&K's.

Try to treat everyone the same and practice what you preach. Open and honest communication only works if you are actually open and honest.

Oct 9, 2014Director of People Ops

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your experience and advice for how we can approve as an organization. We agree that the campers make all the work worthwhile! As you know, this year we ... More

Summer Help Only

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly team members
    Fun Onboarding Process, Liked the training

Cons

Lots of Do-It-Yourself mentality
    Lots of Kids, Hard to manage

Room for growth beyond summer help, Less Politics

Dec 18, 2014People Ops

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the job requires a lot of hard work and self-direction and we strive to balance that with resources, support and coaching from your director.

It
    ... More

Great camp experience

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the staff members (Regional directors, camp directors, fellow counselors) at Steve and Kate's Camp were incredibly kind, fun-loving, and easy to work with. I worked as a counselor in a Bay area camp location and enjoyed it immensely. The camp directors allow the counselors to have a lot of freedom in running certain studios and camp activities. I loved the laid-back atmosphere of this camp. If you have not had any camp experience or experienced working with kids, do not worry. The layout and design of this particular camp make it so that every new comer is welcome and supported.

Cons

I felt as though the hourly pay was much too low for the amount of work that the counselors do. Tasks range from building/moving hundreds of pounds of equipment to cleaning after all the campers. I did not enjoy the amount of manual labor and we were often understaffed. If the pay compensated for the physical labor and demands of this position, it would be much more agreeable.

Increase the hourly wage for the counselors.

Dec 18, 2014People Ops

It is great to hear about your positive experience and how well you connected with our team and our philosophy. We try and keep our wages as competitive as possible with similar positions and ... More

Unpredictable management

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Depending on where you work, usually attracts nice kids. It's a decent summer job.

Cons

Managers are seemingly hired simply because they are older, often in the middle of a career change, and generally very inexperienced. There is no way to reward good behavior in employees and therefore no incentive to be a good worker- you'll get paid the same as the guy who spends all of his time on his phone and somehow never gets fired.

Find a way to adapt the pay scale, at least so that returning workers get a raise, in order to have the highest quality workers.

Your experience varies with what location you're placed at.

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked here several years now.
    Many different locations available (I've worked several).
    Amazing philosophy.
    Every day experience is different.
    Chances are your co-workers will be great.
    Creativity!!

Cons

No room for promotion, though they imply one every year I go back.
    Company is expanding too fast, and they're growing careless with some areas.
    Little attention paid to their newer sites in comparison to their bigger sites with +200 campers.

Recreational Counselor

Former Employee - Recreation Counselor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Recreation Counselor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management really cares about the company & its vision. Rewarding to work with little kids.

Cons

Breaks were hard to take. Working with kids is exhausting.

Be prepared to be creative. You'll be exhausted, but you'll have fun!

Former Employee - Specialist in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Novato, CA

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Spending time with kids! They get really attached to you, and before you know it, they're implementing things you teach them in their interactions with the other campers.

Cons

You have to wear the same shirt every day.

Great People, Great philosophy.

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work on the year-round team at Steve & Kate's are amazing. Everyone is beyond nice, helpful, fun and excited to be a part of the company. They run their business much like they run their camp: it conforms to the employees - Not the other way around.

Cons

Depending on your position and experience level you might be slightly underpaid because it runs like a start up. However, you'll be compensated through their GREAT benefits and the amazing experiences they provide you. It's well worth it.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Steve and Kate's Camp Photos

We're in the business of FUN
Our custom designed animation station and stop-motion animation app

+ Add Photo