Steve and Kate's Camp Reviews

Reset
4.0
Steve & Kate Susskind

1. Awesome

Pros

Such a great company to work for! I've only been working for a few months but it's evident how much this company cares about their employees and genuinely wants to see their employee's grow.

Cons

Can't think of any cons for the company yet but if I do see any I can go back in and edit later.

K-Camp Counselor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This position was a great full-time summer gig. I loved the staff, and the organization of the camp was flawless. I felt that the camp was extremely engaging and high end for the children that participated. I would have loved to have attended as a camper!

Cons

The camp became monotonous as time passed, and the payment did not necessarily match the amount of time, energy, and patience that went into it. Also, the corporate side pushed each branch too thin, so that there were far too many kids per counselor.

Community Director

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community of coworkers who are very welcoming and friendly. Loads of freedom to create your own path to the ultimate end goals of running camp.

Cons

Lack of organization when it comes to information, how it is presented and how it is accessed is sometime extremely confusing.

Advice to Management

Take a step back on expansion and focus on retention of current locations to establish a firm foundation to grow upon.

5. Excellent and worth-while organization

Pros

The staff is hyper organized and they have a strong commitment to the overall mission and goals of this company with regards to youth education and development

Cons

Requires a lot of remote work because the home office is located in a different state. There is a lot of digital communication verses in person staff support.

Fun if you allow it to be (:

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to work with kids in an environment where youre not bossing them around Fun, doesnt feel like working Time goes by fast

Cons

Not enough employees in one site

Advice to Management

There should be a couple floaters in each site for support. I dont think its a good idea to spread your employees out too thin.

7. Hard work, worth it if you love kids

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time

Pros

The camp is unlike any I have ever seen. Attracts some pretty cool kids and families. My day to day was half office/paperwork/emails/phone calls, half hanging out and interacting with kids and families and staff, making sure everyone was happy and having a good time. Good pay for a summer job. I had the ability to use my own ideas and creativity to add to the camp programming and fun. Your imagination is your limitation. Laid back environment.

Cons

Director was on his way out and I had to pick up his slack with little to no recognition for my work and efforts. Little support from him. I was definitely working overtime and wish my pay had reflected that just a little more, but I was on salary, so that was expected. Staff numbers were too low, and I was often stuck in a studio instead of doing my job when staff members had to miss a day.

Advice to Management

Recognize those who are working above and beyond. Maybe more site visits would help this. Keep on keepin' on with the awesome camp programs!

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Staff in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Office Staff in San Jose, CA

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun environment, lots of activity, most kids are pretty fun and smart when you get to know them

Cons

I worked a lot of overtime that I didn't get paid for, because of the 55 hour rule they use

Advice to Management

Most employees aren't working overtime, if you have the office manager there all day, just pay them for the extra hours

Fast paced, unconventional company that encourages employees to take initiative and ownership over their camps

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, creative and incredibly helpful. Each camp provides great resources to its campers and the company's heart is in the right place and moving forward in terms of access, equity and social justice. They do an incredible job of building a very intentional team of people.

Cons

National companies can run into struggles with mail, philosophy and standardizing experiences across all sites.

Camp Director

Former Employee - Assistant Director in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great kids!! Wonderful activities and the company keeps trying to keep things new and fresh for returning campers!

Cons

As a seasonal camp director, I was salary, however if I missed a day my pay was 'adjusted' so essentially I was paid a set amount of $3300 a month and they broke it down by work days to figure out a days salary. However some days I worked 14+ hours. I never worked less then 10 hours each day. It was frustrating for them to not acknowledge my work ethic and of not having to adhere to labor laws because I was not an hourly employee.

I never want to leave this company

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came into this company as a seasonal employee and have been able to find a home as a year-round employee. Though I'd worked at summer camps before, I was initially drawn to this because it stood out as being really different - both in educational philosophy and their approach. And it continues to be one of the most unique and rewarding experiences of my day to day life. I love the people I work with. They are passionate, funny, intelligent, and all working towards a common purpose. I'd hang out with any of these folks outside of work. And I do, regularly. But even while at work, they challenge me and help me to do my own job better. The company is still growing. Both in terms of physical/operational growth but also in terms of defining how we want to interact with each other. The best part? I get to be a part of defining what it is that we do with that on a day to day basis. A lot of companies talk about wanting to hear from employees - this one lives up to it. Do they always act on every idea or suggestion I give? Nope. But I almost always know why something happened one way vs. another.

Cons

Things are always changing. And sometimes that's hard. But I'll take this any day over letting things be stale or stagnant. Things are definitely still being ironed out in lots of places. There's been so much growth so quickly that playing catch-up is rough sometimes. So sometimes things are inefficient. But usually those get changed relatively quickly (within a year or so). You work so closely with the families who use the program that it's hard not to have things feel really personal. When stuff goes wrong, you are much more likely to be hard on yourself than someone else will be (which is a good thing!) but it also means that you definitely take some of that emotion home with you. For me, at least, the lines between the work and home life definitely blur.

Advice to Management

Keep looking forward. I love being a part of a company that is challenging how things are done.

Steve and Kate's Camp Response

Dec 18, 2014 – People Ops

Thank you so much for your feedback! We feel lucky to have people on our team who are so positive and enthusiastic about what we are doing, even when things are changing. We appreciate you putting so ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed