Steve and Kate's Camp Reviews

1. K-Camp Counselor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This position was a great full-time summer gig. I loved the staff, and the organization of the camp was flawless. I felt that the camp was extremely engaging and high end for the children that participated. I would have loved to have attended as a camper!

Cons

The camp became monotonous as time passed, and the payment did not necessarily match the amount of time, energy, and patience that went into it. Also, the corporate side pushed each branch too thin, so that there were far too many kids per counselor.

Community Director

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community of coworkers who are very welcoming and friendly. Loads of freedom to create your own path to the ultimate end goals of running camp.

Cons

Lack of organization when it comes to information, how it is presented and how it is accessed is sometime extremely confusing.

Advice to Management

Take a step back on expansion and focus on retention of current locations to establish a firm foundation to grow upon.

I will Survive....I think

Current Employee - Camp Cook in Eagle River, AK
    Current Employee - Camp Cook in Eagle River, AK

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp

Pros

If I were a kid, I would love to come here! It is great for the kids and well thought out.

Cons

Staffing is skeletal. I am the only cook for 150-200 people and my job really ought to be done by two people. The pay is a joke. I don't have sufficient equipment and have to beg borrow and bring stuff from home. The only way I can survive is to cut corners on being strict with the safety guidelines, and as a chef that is uncomfortable for me.

Advice to Management

Schedule in a regular assistant to help the cook a couple of hours a day.

5. Excellent and worth-while organization

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp

Pros

The staff is hyper organized and they have a strong commitment to the overall mission and goals of this company with regards to youth education and development

Cons

Requires a lot of remote work because the home office is located in a different state. There is a lot of digital communication verses in person staff support.

6. Awesome

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp

Pros

Such a great company to work for! I've only been working for a few months but it's evident how much this company cares about their employees and genuinely wants to see their employee's grow.

Cons

Can't think of any cons for the company yet but if I do see any I can go back in and edit later.

Fun if you allow it to be (:

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to work with kids in an environment where youre not bossing them around Fun, doesnt feel like working Time goes by fast

Cons

Not enough employees in one site

Advice to Management

There should be a couple floaters in each site for support. I dont think its a good idea to spread your employees out too thin.

8. Hard work, worth it if you love kids

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time

Pros

The camp is unlike any I have ever seen. Attracts some pretty cool kids and families. My day to day was half office/paperwork/emails/phone calls, half hanging out and interacting with kids and families and staff, making sure everyone was happy and having a good time. Good pay for a summer job. I had the ability to use my own ideas and creativity to add to the camp programming and fun. Your imagination is your limitation. Laid back environment.

Cons

Director was on his way out and I had to pick up his slack with little to no recognition for my work and efforts. Little support from him. I was definitely working overtime and wish my pay had reflected that just a little more, but I was on salary, so that was expected. Staff numbers were too low, and I was often stuck in a studio instead of doing my job when staff members had to miss a day.

Advice to Management

Recognize those who are working above and beyond. Maybe more site visits would help this. Keep on keepin' on with the awesome camp programs!

9. Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Staff in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Office Staff in San Jose, CA

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun environment, lots of activity, most kids are pretty fun and smart when you get to know them

Cons

I worked a lot of overtime that I didn't get paid for, because of the 55 hour rule they use

Advice to Management

Most employees aren't working overtime, if you have the office manager there all day, just pay them for the extra hours

Fast paced, unconventional company that encourages employees to take initiative and ownership over their camps

I have been working at Steve and Kate's Camp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, creative and incredibly helpful. Each camp provides great resources to its campers and the company's heart is in the right place and moving forward in terms of access, equity and social justice. They do an incredible job of building a very intentional team of people.

Cons

National companies can run into struggles with mail, philosophy and standardizing experiences across all sites.

Camp Director

Former Employee - Assistant Director in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Steve and Kate's Camp

Pros

Great kids!! Wonderful activities and the company keeps trying to keep things new and fresh for returning campers!

Cons

As a seasonal camp director, I was salary, however if I missed a day my pay was 'adjusted' so essentially I was paid a set amount of $3300 a month and they broke it down by work days to figure out a days salary. However some days I worked 14+ hours. I never worked less then 10 hours each day. It was frustrating for them to not acknowledge my work ethic and of not having to adhere to labor laws because I was not an hourly employee.

RSS Feed </> Embed