Steven Madden Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld
Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun, great associates, great discount, free shoes, store contests, (in 11 reviews)

• Fun activities and great discount and free shoes (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Sales associates get minimum wage for the most part (in 6 reviews)

1. I loved this job

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Saint-Louis (Reunion)
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Saint-Louis (Reunion)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a 50% off basically all Shoes. I have tons of shoes from Steve Madden. I had a great manager/mentor. She taught a lot of sales techniques to sales to all demographics. I have a lot of retail clothes experience I never had to sales the clothes, they sale themselves. Shoes or heals on the other hand was different .

Cons

The sales where up and down. I only made 3% commission being a sales supervisor, and only 1% when I was a sales associate. My assistant manager had the worst attitude. She was bitter about not getting the store manager position, I was put in the middle of silly and childish situations between her and the store manager which is why I relocated to another job. But all in all I did love this job.

Advice to Management

Please keep work professional

2. HR Assistant

Pros

Laid back environment, great location and breakfast every Friday morning. HR team was well rounded and efficient.

Cons

Seemed as though there was limited growth potential and salaries were not always consistent with market rate.

3. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount Fashionable shoes Good music Free shoes Benefits Vacation time Small company so you can get to know other managers

Cons

District manager Payroll matrix does not allow enough hours for even the management staff Corporate is unorganized and very poor communication No room for growth

Advice to Management

This is a very unorganized company. Corporate is a mess and has no clue what they are doing. There are no regional managers so if you have an issue with your Dm you have to contact the vp or director of stores who the store managers have absolutely no relationship with at all. When corporate employees come to visit stores they do not talk to anyone but your Dm. If you do something wrong you will hear about it later when you get yelled at and feel small by your Dm. District manager is horrible. Plays favorites and gives them whatever they want, and talks down the rest of us and does nothing but cause stress and anxiety. When Dm does visit stores she will stay in the back the entire time and then give you the store visit report as she is leaving the store. There is no coaching or training what so ever, just yelling and scolding is what it feels like. I would develop your district managers more or hire regional managers to help develop your district managers so the higher ups can be made aware of what's going on. Create a better training program so everyone is on the same page. Have better communication within corporate so when it gets to the store level everyone understands and knows what's going on.

5. Steve Madden

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Steven Madden (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, laid back management, fun & young environment, hard work is noticed, up to trend with the latest fashions and opportunity to meet new people and make connections everyday.

Cons

Being on your feet for 8 - 10 hours a shift,lack of training, too repetitive,rude customers, upper management, & working holidays/weekends, hard work doesn't match up to pay

Advice to Management

Focus on training your management and don't just hire just to hire. The stores have so much more potential if you actually take the time to look and hire the right people.

6. Unfair

Pros

You get a discount on shoes

Cons

Managers played favorites with shifts and who got to sell on the floor vs who had to back stock. Since it was mainly commission based, it was very unfair. Managers also had sales goals to meet so they (along with other employees) would steal sales from the associates. Also, most of the "top performers" spent majority of their shift in the back eating or taking selfies with each other.

Advice to Management

Implement a fair way to distribute shifts and time spent on the sales floor.

7. Horrible company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% discount, nice heels and cool co-workers

Cons

Cheap pay, horrible management and bad location

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees

8. Sales Coordinator

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Sunnyside, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Sunnyside, NY

I have been working at Steven Madden (More than a year)

Pros

great work culture. fun enviroment

Cons

do not have any cons

9. Steve Madden

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Steven Madden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discounts and you get a free pair of shoes each season!

Cons

The culture of the store is completely dependent on management and those you work with. When I started, there was a great store manager and everyone was like family. Work was fun and exciting. Unfortunately, corporate did not respond appropriately, going through 3 different store managers in just a few months.

Advice to Management

Team meeting are essential to keep everyone on the same page.

10. awful and miserable

Pros

the benefits are the only acceptable thing in the company

Cons

Unless you are a department head. you are overworked and underpaid. There is no respect or appreciation from upper management. With tons of complaints against specific management, nothing is done to improve the situation. There is no training program and you are belittled if you don't know something that you were never taught. There are no opportunities for growth, regardless of what you are told, unless you know a department head.

Advice to Management

Train your employees and learn to treat them with respect. There is a reason that the corporate office is a revolving door. Also, HR needs to learn to address and resolve issues instead of pushing them under the rug.

11. Loved It

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Steven Madden part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, 50% discount, flexible scheduling

Cons

when times were slow nobody but the supervisors would get more than 5 hours

RSS Feed </> Embed