Steven Madden Reviews

91 reviews filtered by
3.2
Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld
Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun activities and great discount and free shoes (in 11 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• sales associates can only work part time (in 6 reviews)

1. Not what you expected

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts at any Steve madden store and employee family discounts , 2 free shoes a year, fun environment, flexible with schedule, wearing the shoe during work hours is requires

Cons

Not enough hours for part-timers, hours are based on amount of shoes sold in $, lack of communication

2. Interesting Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Steven Madden

Pros

Obviously working at Steve Madden as a young girl, was very exciting. Being surrounded by beautiful shoes and not too mention, the 50% discount didn't hurt either. I learned a lot during my time here about management and how a business should be run.

Cons

The management at the particular store I worked at, was lacking and seriously incompetent. The work was distributed unevenly. I often had to work after I was clocked out to restock because no one else would. They took advantage of me being recently hired and exploited that.

Make sure new employees feel valued and are able to learn. Do not take advantage of their willingness to work hard.

3. Summer Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

All depends on the department you end up interning for and who your "mentor" is. I was the only intern in my department so I got to work with different employees and learn a lot! Other interns were not so lucky...

Cons

DO NOT DRIVE TO WORK! There is no where to park!

Don't place too many interns in the same department!

5. Good atmosphere, bad work delegation.

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Steven Madden

Pros

This store has great vibes usually, everyone for the most part works very hard. Free shoes happen often, and they have flexible scheduling.

Cons

Delegation of responsibilities are unorganized at best, chaotic during holiday season. Errors are made in the stock room due to this poor delegation and having one or two guys try and get 5 tasks done at one time. It is possible though, but not worth how much they pay an hour.

Delegate work much better, promote leadership and actually solidify leadership in the stock room. If there isn't any lead roles you can trust then you must either find someone who can take care of that for you or take care of it yourself.

6. Great for retail sales experience

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Managers encourage learning sales techniques and are very willing to teach
    Hours are reasonable and schedules are usually made 2 weeks in advance
    Communication is good and rarely are there any conflicts
    Good training for new sales associates
    Get a free pair of shoes every season
    Great employee and family discount

Cons

Pay is minimum wage and commission is 2%
    Sales goals can be high during slow periods and there is a chance of being written up if you do not make your monthly goal.

7. poor management, felt like high school

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Steven Madden

Pros

- flexible scheduling
    - room for growth

Cons

- managers play favorites
    - managers gossiping with employees about other employees

8. It could have been better.

Former Employee - Cost Accounting Assistant in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Cost Accounting Assistant in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and Cake days. Breakfast on Fridays is pretty good. And benefits are pretty good. $40% off at retail stores and insurance benefits are pretty good.

Cons

There is no room to grow in the department and the salary is really low. Even moving within the company is difficult and the department lacks proper vision and direction.

9. Sales Associate

I worked at Steven Madden

Pros

Great sense of team, everyone is a family. The product is fun and affordable. Discount is great.

Cons

Limited hours but commission pay evens it out.

10. Has its ups and downs but definitely an energic aura streams through the product, just as much as through the employees

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the enthusiam and energy of the company, its very positive, youthful, and upbeat. This makes working for the company very easy and enjoyable. You will not be mad about heading to work in mornings.

Cons

With every company, there is always aspects that need improvement. When it comes to Steve Madden, organizational skills needs to be restuctured as a company. Rules and regulations vary depending on the situations when in my opinion, should be always black and white. Rules are rules and should always be followed. This prevents confusion and favoritism.

Stay humble! You guys are awesome but make sure rules are kept within the departments and standards are followed. It would make our jobs way easier :-)

11. Cejon Division- Design Department

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-SM Product Discount
    -Relaxed/causal office
    -Reasonable, hardworking coworkers
    -Good work life balance- you leave on time time most days, closings for inclement weather.
    -Opportunity to work on multiple brands
    -Steve Madden Corporate provides good benefits like tuition reimbursement, community outreach, 401k, and health insurance.
    -Great place to work if you keep your head down and don't stir the pot.
    -You don't actually need to know how to do your job to get hired

Cons

-Leadership of the division is checked out and that has trickled down to the rest of the company. Upper Management is frustrated and stagnant as well because of this attitude. Most Upper Management has been there for years and has not worked anywhere else or taken classes in design or leadership, so changes happen at a glacial speed. Design is stuck doing sales and production functions.
    -There is no structure to grow- Assistants are reporting to VP's and raises are low.
    -No design calendar. There is no accountability for any department from within or to work together. People just do whatever they need to, when they need to to make markets happen. Everything is rushed, last minute, and quality of work suffers.
    -The design team hierarchy is almost non existent, with each designer taking on their own category as a silo. There are no formal design meetings, concept boarding, or trend services. Not sure how the management know's what the team is work on.
    -Despite the company being a big player in scarves and cold weather knits, not one person on the design team can make CAD rendering or create/edit prints. This is a huge source of grief for both sales and design depts and makes me wonder what people are getting paid for if they can't actually design...
    -design department is severely understaffed, partly because the upper management are control freaks and does everything themselves, then complains about how much work they have to do.
    -Culture and values are not clearly defined. Many employees described the company as a 'family', but I do not think of this as a pro because this seems to have dissolved the boundaries of professionalism, so people who are not qualified for their roles stay employed as a result of favoritism and changes don't happen for fear of damaging friendships.
    -Offices are in need of a decor update and are very cluttered. Layout does not make sense.
    -Not the design driven company it should be- creative projects are sparse for anyone who isn't a manager.

Steve Madden corporate needs to wake up and step into to clean this division up. This division is bleeding money because of poor management and no leadership. The potential for their business to double is there, but not if they don't make some high level management changes fast. Gone are they days where companies could rely on production managers and sales reps. to keep their product fresh- bolster your design ranks, they are your companies future when properly supported. Update the equipment for designers, provide trend services, go digital to save on time and money. Create a chain of command in the design team and get the whole division on a design calendar ASAP!