Steven Winter Associates Reviews

Steven Winter, FAIA

1. A great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Sustainability Consultant in South Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Sustainability Consultant in South Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Steven Winter Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaboration among colleagues is great. Management is pretty relaxed and allows us freedom to manage our projects. Everyone is friendly and fun to be around.

Cons

Projects take us pretty far so the traveling can get difficult.

2. Great Team

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Steven Winter Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Perfect environment for self motivated individuals who don't need to be micro-managed.You set the boundaries to what you want to learn and accomplish. The breadth of knowledge about energy efficiency across all sectors of the building industry is unsurpassed. More smart people in this firm than I have met my whole life.

Cons

Various passing fads in the energy field mean that what you were inundated with yesterday may not be what you will be working on tomorrow. The ability to learn new skills is often necessary. For those who don't mind change this is no big deal, but if you want to work on the same efficiency program for the rest of your life, that is not a likely scenario here.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering education for those who want to learn new skills. It keeps us interested and motivated.

Full-time fulfillment

I have been working at Steven Winter Associates full-time

Pros

SWA values professional development and pushes all its employees to learn as much as possible and become experts in their fields. SWA also values work/life sustainability and accessibility to happiness.

Cons

Don't work here if you don't want to be constantly surrounded by driven people who love a challenge and appreciate making real positive impacts.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate and engage employees to make them feel like an essential part of the success of the company.

Found a career, not just a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Steven Winter Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Firm is well-known in the industry; opportunity to work on exciting projects that actually improve building performance; colleagues are experts in the field, passionate about their work and friends outside of work; great work-life balance.

Cons

As a smaller firm, some of the systems/benefits in place in big corporations are missing or in development.

6. Sustainability Consultant

I have been working at Steven Winter Associates

Pros

Excellent work-life balance and fun after work activities

Cons

Shift towards more corporate attitude of profits over developing good relationships

7. Interesting work with talented, like-minded colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Steven Winter Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial and fun-loving culture; variety of projects; very smart and fun colleagues; energy/green/accessibility work aligns with ideals about improving our environment. Steve Winter himself is an inspiration to the employees.

Cons

Loose management and corporate structure is both a blessing and a curse. Some aspects of the business resemble a much smaller firm, and may need to change to accommodate a 100+ person reality.

Advice to Management

Invest in core services (HR, Admin), and promote managers who truly want to manage rather than those with technical expertise and seniority.

8. Nice, friendly company, interesting work

Former Employee - Energy Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Energy Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Steven Winter Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere; young co-workers; nice work environment; ease of scheduling and telecommuting

Cons

Co-workers lacking technical background; no real engineering design work; not many senior architects or engineers on staff

Advice to Management

salary is too low; senior staff should have more technical knowledge

9. Very little guidance and support from management

I worked at Steven Winter Associates full-time

Pros

Semi- flexible hours young people will hire people straight out of college lunch and learns

Cons

I applied for a Sustainability Consultant position and was offered the position of Energy Analyst about 3 weeks later. There was no second interview which should have been the 1st red flag, the 2nd red flag was that the position they offered me was different than the one I applied for. I had doubts because I got negative vibes from the person who was going to supervise me during the interview and that turned out to be the case once I was in the company. The supervisor was very unfriendly, constantly giving me attitude and talking down to me, and provided very little guidance and training. I had to report this supervisor to HR several times while I was there. Although the job posting states that they provide training once on the job there is no formal training and you have to fend for yourself. The company adopts a sink or swim strategy and the turnover is very high. They are constantly hiring new people, it seems like most people stick around for 2-3 years and then leave.

Advice to Management

They need to provide younger and inexperienced supervisors with extensive management and communication training before allowing them to take on more responsibility. A person may be very good at their job and have a certain technical expertise but that doesn't mean that they have the skills nor the maturity to effectively supervise or train new hires.

good place to work

Former Employee - Energy Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Energy Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Steven Winter Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good corporate culture and hard working people around

Cons

management structure and lack of vertical improvement

Very unhappy with the senior Management

I worked at Steven Winter Associates

Pros

Good Work life, and cultural values

Cons

No proper direction, no projects in the pipeline.

RSS Feed </> Embed