Stevens Transport Reviews in Dallas, TX

Updated July 27, 2014

2.2

Steven L. Aaron

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Driver, trainer, alliance trainer, alliance fleet manager

Current Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

best equipment in the industry ,

Cons

you must wait to make money - think smart

I like the way they manage the operation system, pre-plans are the best way to inform drivers how to plan their trips

Good company

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training with room to grow. There are alot of options avaible to a driver, company leasing, o/o, trainer, teams even having drivers work under you. The staff has always been helpful and polite. They work at your success. Safety and compliance are a high priorty with them. I have never had problems getting repairs done or been asked to violate an HOS rule. If you are ever not comfortable with the driving conditions find a safe place to park and let them know. When it comes to safety, there saftety department will always have your back.
       If you decide to work for them you must remember a couple things 1st they are a training company so there is more micro managment from them. It gets better as you gain experience tho. 2nd is they are a big company and you need to stay in communication with your d/m to help him get you the miles you want to drive. You also have to want to drive. If you are going to any trucking company thinking that you are going to work 9 to 5 or drive 400 miles a day and make a living OTR is not the job for you.
      There equipment is great after you get to there regular fleet Peterbuilts and Kenworths are the main stay trucks. Going thru the training part it is servicable but worn and tired which I think would be expected since you are in training.
      From the time I started with them I always understood they wanted 6 wks out i have talked to several other drivers that didnt understand that or were lied to by there recruiter acording to them. I learned a long time ago recreuiters/salesmen twist the truth you just have to know how to look thru it.

Cons

Long training program 8/9 weeks pay could be better thru this. Not any real cons I can think of. The things i had/have problems with are indicitive of big companies and I have work most of my life for small companies so I have needed to learn how to adjust.

it was terrible.

Former Employee - Driver Trainee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Driver Trainee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

the training that I received was great.

Cons

The company is very unorganized.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been a long ride with a company that always say one thing then does another...

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

They pay for your class if you don't have the money so that way you can become a company driver. You get a room during training. The on campus trainers are knowledgable and want you to succeed. The otr equipment is excellent.

Cons

Just need to more organized if they want to keep good associates.

Need to watch those people on the bottom better.

By far, the best in professional drivers training.

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

Stevens Transport will take the time and make the effort to help anyone that has the desire to become a true professional driver. Most of the office side of employees make you feel like you are person, not just another number.

Cons

Low miles. As a professional driver, we all know that we earn our money by turning our wheels. It's not always the fault of Stevens Transport (although it is sometimes), but I feel like some of the dispatched loads could be better time managed.

Stand up and take notice of the small accomplishments....as well as the biggies. Stevens Transport preaches...."Alliance...Alliance...Alliance"...but we have some pretty awsome company drivers too that deserve recognition.

Wonderful place to come and train to drive.

Current Employee - Driver, Contractor  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Driver, Contractor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

Good training program, wonderful CDL program, Great lanes, good freight.. good safety culture.
    Great Lease Program, good miles, wonderful HAZMAT Program. Great support, and teamwork on management and the DM team.

Cons

Long hours, out for weeks at a time, typical Long-haul issues, Not being 100% forward at the Recruitment level. lack of cellphone program

keep up the support, but most of the complaints I hear are of the doing of the complainer him/herself. keep up the great work.

Broke 99% of the time! No home time!

Current Employee - Company Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

Good equipment, good trainning to new driver's

Cons

They do not tell the truth to employees, DM'S lie to you about runs, Can't make enough money to live on the company side, best runs are given to allinance driver's! Do not get you home when they say they will. Company driver's sit to long waitting for a run even though your company states they don't. Not honest from the get-go try being truthful to your perspective driver's.

Be truthful to your employees and perspective employee's!!! Have your DM's work on runs to help company driver's better make a living at driving for your company if we can't make any money we can't continue to work for your company....

Good Company - needs some tweaking to get back to where it was when it was one of the leaders in this industry.

Current Employee - Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

Great Place to get your start in this industry. Possible advancement within the company. Long term has been a "good" company to work for because they will leave you alone for the most part.

Cons

The pay scale for drivers (don't even get me started on the pittance of a salary that the office personnel are making) doesn't keep pace with industry averages of other companies that are the same size. Company policies are never "set in stone" and can fluctuate from day to day (literally). Home time could be a little more frequent, it's very hard to withstand five weeks out if you are anything but a single driver.

Pay your drivers a more standard mileage rate (practical miles instead of HHG) at a wage that is more consistent with the rest of the industry. Quit micro-managing every single move that your drivers make. You have entrusted them with a $130,000 piece of equipment and a multi-thousand dollar load for a reason, have a little trust that they can do the right thing. And, quit treating ALL of you drivers like they just came out of a kindergarten graduating ceremony, we are grown adults and deserve to be treated as such.

REFORM TRUCKING INDUSTRY FOR FLEET MANAGERS

Former Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

Proximity to a Major City - Job security due to their stability.

Cons

The insane micro-management from having to sign in and out to take restroom breaks, the expectation that you should arrive early to work and stay late, working weekends w/o additional compensation, if you're ill they dock your pay...

Trust your employees and empower them to make good decisions. If you gave them better compensation and benefits to let them know you value them as opposed to showing off your tent where park your Jag and have it covered by the maintenance staff to avoid getting it dusty, you may actually be surprised that people would be more willing to be more productive if they really felt they were of value. The main reason your driver managers stay is because most of them are older and fear not being able to find employment elsewhere. Mostly, when one of your employees has a heart attack, i would recommend calling 911, not a taxi to get them to the hospital.

Worked for Stevens Transport? Contribute to the Community!