Stevens Transport Reviews

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014

2.2

Steven L. Aaron

Safety oriented, nearly illegal pay for new drivers

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Stevens Transport as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

This school has one of the best training programs out there. If you wanna be one of the safest drivers on the road, this is it. Then leave.

Cons

Werner has the same training program, and they pay...period. With Stevens, I was unable to pay the bills at home, let alone support myself while I was training. Thankfully I had a GREAT OTR trainer. He didn't let me go hungry, he got me showers, and bought some new clothes for me. If it wasn't for him, I'd be broke, hungry, very stinky, and under clothed. Be prepared. You will not see you're family for up to four months. Their promises are hollow words, and don't hold any water. Stevens Driver mgrs. are very rude and don't give a damn about. All you are is a warm body for a cold driver seat.

Clean house. Hire retired drivers, and active drivers for in office work. They will care for their drivers.

The good and the bad.

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

They do have their own school and they stress safety in all of their drivers, from the beginner up to the veterans.

Cons

Trying to get home is almost like pulling teeth. The night/weekend dispatchers are only concerned with getting the loads moving, and don't recognize the fact that a drivers' home time is coming up. In one year of driving, I have always been late for my scheduled time off, and usually a week to two weeks late.

Use former drivers as dispatchers and driver managers. Non drivers have no idea what drivers go through.

Great school, but pay sucks.

Former Employee - Student Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

The school is good. You can get the same training at any decent school.

Cons

Pay is $0 for 5 weeks, $300 a week for 8 weeks, $.26 cpm after. I couldn't live on that.

I know you have plenty of people coming in through your school and for two years you think you can hold it over them, but hometime is very important.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How deep does your wallet go...?

Former Employee - Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Yes you will get your C.D.L. Yes you will drive a truck.

Cons

If you go to school in Colorado you will have a really great time studying non-stop, with 4-6 room mates, 10 feet from a train track that runs every 20 minutes. But you don't need sleep. Another benefit is that there is no pay. So watch your pennies. After you survive the school driving trucks that are held together by years of mud and tape. They have a well planned Greyhound tour for you to get to Texas. Where you will be staying at one of there many lavish roach motels. During the week that follows you must endure the medical and forms and countless managers that pop up during class and orientation. Now your hope builds you signed up. Got your photo ID and your one of the grunts. Wait now.. you can be there for a week or more waiting for a trainer. They might even send you out for one. Reason why trainers do not go to the yard. Is they don't want to get stuck at the yard. So after flying out or busing it to your trainer. You may now meet the guy who really doesn't want you on the truck in the first place. sure you will have your fun moments. after 6 weeks of training and attempting to do video modules. while pretending to get enough rest. Looking back you have realized that you only make at most 350.00 a week. Hmm.. time invested for that past few months working 24/7 averages you have been working for around .10 cents per hour. How much have you sent home to help the family. Nothing. Hope is here you have made it back to graduate and get your own truck. Assuming you made it with only one trainer the time. Now they don't say you can go home first before grad class cause then the bill is on them. So they push you to class. Lets get him a load to make money. Wait. Now you have to be cleared. Another medical appointment, check that blood pressure. IF you pass congrats only 16 more departments to check off. Now go inspect your truck. Needs repair its old and expected. Might be a week. Oh did i tell you once you grad your a driver. So you don't get paid anymore. That's a week without pay. Sorry. You also have already accumulated a massive bill. 4500 est for school. 65 for books and pulp thermometer. You actually need to pay 2 dollars a week to use a free program "Transflo" to get paid. And now that you have the truck and your ready to go home say to the east coast. First they need to send you to California. And if your lucky within a month you may get to go home. But remember. You can only park your truck at an approved location even if it is 300 miles away from your house. Other then that seems peachy. Sign me up. Oh wait I did. OOPs..

Yes it was a rant from a former employee. However. IF your student planner did his job. And actually cared about the students. And the counselors where there for the students. Which by the way my counselor said absolutely nothing when I complained and she never returned a single call. Well IF this letter helps stop any new driver from signing up I did my job. My advice is if Stevens is a family minded employer. They should start caring about the drivers and there families more then how much they can nickle and dime the dreamers and future drivers. We are professionals, We are business partners, We are adults, And We make the freight move.

Stevens did me good when I first started trucking.

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stevens is a great place to get into trucking. Good equipment and good training.

Cons

Management said they were open door but it took forever to get in to see anyone.

Driver Manager aka Repower Specialist

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

I got a paycheck and gave 55 hours a week of my life to Stevens. "Casual" day on Fridays for some of the office folks.

Cons

If you enjoy micromanagement and being treated that of nothing more than a slave this joint is for you! The training here was a joke in itself, you had too many eyes watching your every move at very moment. When you get a fleet you know half of what you need to know and then get thrown under to bus cause you don't know what you're doing. If you ask for help you're chewed out or even belittled. Their safety and management style is backwards compared to any other company you will come across. If something happens at night that you have no control over be prepared to go to an upper managers office and be crucified or an email for one of the Nazi's upstairs who owns the company. Fear and embarrassment is routine here from drivers to management. Gotta love the daily morning meetings with some of the classic lines such as: "we can fire you when we want", " be lucky you have a job", or my favorite " who the hell trained you people to do your jobs". I was personally written up for a doctors appointment with a note from the doctor, really are you people that shallow? Also, look under everyone's desk there is a cardboard box I kid you not. That is how much fear people live in here. I got lucky after 2 years and escaped, but HR likes to bad mouth former office employees and give negative references even if you give your notice.

Clean house from top to bottom, get rid of micromanagement it doesn't work, hire people who have expeirence not some college kid who is clueless to trucking, use positive reinforcement in morning meetings, and stop using fear tactics on employees!

companies personnel endangerment policies and actions

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

you get a parcial paycheck

Cons

dispatchers call companies to remove trucks from employees stating that the employee abandoned the equipment while the employee is there with the equipment.

some employees make sure to have proof against the said action against them and will report the company to the proper authorities to investigate falsified acquisitions' made by the company against there personnel and/or its employees.

Fast pace and new challenges everyday

Current Employee - Training Counselor  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Training Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

working with dedicated people everyday. Very safety oriented and willing to do anything to keep the fleet productive and safe

Cons

high turnover due to lack of positive energy by the supervisors. Very poor communication and direction given by supervisors. Low pay scale

Find someone to increase retention.

TERRIBLE

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Job out of school and decent training.

Cons

Where should I start... Stevens put me in a motel that I was ashamed to tell my family about. I have heard the changed this due to the complaints. My trainer kicked me out of the truck because I wanted to do things by the book. When I finished training they kept me from getting home and tried to get me to park 90 miles from my home. They told me this wouldn't happen if " you just sign a lease" DO NOT SIGN A LEASE. you will inevitably have to train to make money. OH and lastly they have stolen about 500$ from me through, what they say are " invalid lumper receipts" I am now leaving that company. I am to good of a driver to work there. GET SIX MONTHS EXPERIENCE AND LEAVE THEM......trust me, I am college educated,. Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.1 GPA P.S. Oh I forgot to mention they are currently not honoring the medical bills for my child. and I pay 98 dollars a week. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW FOR ME!!!!

There are to many good companies out there for the culture at Stevens to be this crude. Get over yourselves.

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO CALL "HOME"

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to get your training and start your career.

Cons

Bad equipment. The alliance program sucks. Low pay and hardly any home time. Horrible driving managers. Maintenance is very slow and yard time is very long.

Communicate more with your drivers and be more concern of their needs.

Worked for Stevens Transport? Contribute to the Community!