Stevens Transport Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
2.0
Steven L. Aaron

Pros
  • Great Training Program takes about 6 months start to finish (in 6 reviews)

• Good equipment and good training (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and hardly any home time (in 5 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of respect or courtesy for the drivers and students, low pay rate for students compared to other companies (in 4 reviews)

1. Company functions well, but at the cost of the employees. Good place to start if you're interested in trucking.

Former Contractor - Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The do a good job of getting you on your feet and in a truck. Training is paid (somewhat) and you get about 2 months of experience before going at the job, alone.

Cons

They will cheat you out of money, every chance they get. It seems like the company only works well if you bother them enough to do so. If left to their own devices, you'd get minimal pay from them for numerous reasons.

Pay more attention to your drivers. They are the reason you have a job. Quite relying on your employee turnover rate and focus on keeping the good people around.

A Good Start

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver (Lease Operator) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver (Lease Operator) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport (more than a year)

Pros

Potential to make over 65k if you plan to become a trainer or an owner operator. These positions are not easy though, and usually require months of experience before you are ready to take the next step.

Company has a good safety record. Equipment is usually in good shape. I got a DOT inspection about once every year.

Cons

Strict company, many people leave the company within a year, many people also get fired, safety department does not treat drivers well, constant fear of getting fired mainly by safety department, low pay compared to other companies.

They have been very good to me.

Current Employee - Grad Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Grad Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

They gave me an opportunity to change my life. As a sixty years old woman, the reality is that most employers no longer look @ you as an asset to developed, Stevens does and they give you a marketable skill. They Don't pay much and you end up owing a lot of money to them. But they take a huge risk , taking Newbies in and putting us in very expensive equipment. Trusting us to take care of it and get safely from one place to another.I have certainly had issues, but when I have taken them to management , they were quickly resolved.Almost everyone in management has been kind and helpful. I'm not saying that a lot of the negative reviews aren't, accurate, I'm just saying there are two ways to look at things , there are many positives to this company. Bennett Aaron is a member of the owner's family and is a very caring person who helps us New people if we can't get resolution.

Cons

Not much money starting out. 19% interest on loan. The food they feed trainees is swill. The shuttles they transport you in are haphazardly scheduled. You can wait for hours .

Fix the phones! Sometimes waiting on hold 20 min isn't an option. Teach the detail team how to clean a truck like it's their job. Better food for trainees. It made me sick.

5. Horrible executive management and extremely oppressive environment - stay away.

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers and the location was convenient

Cons

The way the owner and family treated employees was horrible - possibly illegal and definitely immoral. Several lawsuits brought against them by employees.

Treat your employees better and do the right thing - money isn't what matters most - it's how you treated people.

6. Terrible

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

The company offers good training

Cons

Everything else and the trainers are a piece of work

Pay more

7. This company runs a lean business, but it is not keeping with the times in terms of providing any work-life balance.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time

Pros

They are stable, and if you are good, you have job security. If you like fast paced, high pressure environments that make you react quickly to stay ahead, this is your place. Heads up, the drivers are all brand new and don't do a good job of making on time delivery.

Cons

You need tough skin to survive, and be able to work quickly under pressure. They do not tolerate failure to perform. They also do not do a good job of recognizing and rewarding performance. There is little to no bonus/ performance pay system for anyone that is not upper-management/executive. Overall, this is a great place to learn, but if you want to get paid enough to have a decent lifestyle, you'll be leaving here quickly for a better paying job.

Salary is great, but you need to put in a system (besides your christmas party) that recognizes employees for the effort they are putting in, and for the employees who excel and are talented. I felt invisible, undervalued, and underpaid. Mostly underpaid.

Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to stay!

Current Employee - Leasing Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Leasing Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

Training is intense and covers a lot. Its good for very new drivers, IF IF! If you get lucky and get a good driving trainer. DONT go through their cdl school! Find your own. Its an OK place to get a year exp in before moving on.

Cons

Lack of pay! Low pay. Training drivers are NOT screened in any way to show they'd be a good trainer. I had a good trainer, my co driver not so lucky! He's had his life threatened, trainer refuses to let him sleep on the bottom bunk while team driving. Expects trainee to be a money farm and drive 11 hrs after 4 hrs fitful rest in the jump seat. Trainer has broken multiple laws with no reprisal after trainee reported him. They constantly pressure you to lease, but you only make a small amount more than fleet and that's due to no longer having medical insurance and only pays if you NEVER go home! Medical insurance is expensive and yet very few doctors accept it! Leasing only seems to pay if you become a trainer, which they push! Or like me, you go teams. I hope we do anyway. Very poor communication between days and nights/weekends. Between planners and DMS. The cdl school is a PUPPY MILL!! That you will have to pay off out of your already meager paycheck. Find your own cdl school!

Better communication, DMS that have been drivers and KNOW the problems. Better pay, more concrete recognition of skilled/talented/hard working drivers! Home time follow through!! Don't tell me I earn a day home for a week driven to a max 7 days, then tell me I can't stay past 5???

No work life balance is possible with this company. Stevens Transport has a cut-throat attitude towards new recruits.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy the trucking lifestyle, complete with poor access to food and basic necessities of life, this may be a way for you to GIVE your first year of experience at an extreme DISCOUNT, to Stevens Transport.

Cons

No transparency in the recruiting, driving, time-off, pay system, dispatch system, or anywhere else in this company.

The only thing good about the Stevens Transport empire, is the new driver training; however, Stevens Transport is profiting off of the misfortune that awaits every student who becomes an employee following this schooling.

Understanding my experience might be an exception...but it isn't.

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about liars.

Cons

Everything. I have nothing good to say about this company. No other driver ever seems to, either.
    In a nutshell, every cost is analyzed and a strategy developed to screw the driver and explain it away, no matter what the issue becomes. They will assign loads for which they are charging $3 to $4 per mile and get the truck to do 2,800 to 3,000 per week. That means Stevens will collect $9,000 to $12,000 for the service and pay the driver less than 10% and often less than 5%.

Calculate the cost of fuel, equipment, overhead and everything else and you'll have a hard time getting to 50% of the freight charged to a customer, which means they make a profit of $5,000 to $7,000 per truck per week.

You the driver are a dime a dozen and they do not give a rip if you leave, there's another sucker right behind you.

You'll make about $30,000 your first year as a company driver, if you survive the intense pressure to sign a lease - which you should NOT, no matter WHAT - while they make a PROFIT of $70-80,000 from your work, AFTER ALL EXPENSES.

If you leave, they will file a nasty, fraudulent item on a DAC report in retaliation and all of their competitors, all doing the same thing, will avoid you because you will be flagged as a non-sucker who can't be lied to and abused.

Congratulations on your wealth, not many companies get so good at screwing employees dry so well and survive.

Traveling America had always been a dream of mine; in which, Stevens Transport managed to turn into a nightmare.

Current Employee - Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Truck Driver

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

To be fair:
    •Good looking equipment
    •"SOME" nice people in dispatch and offices
    •Pretty good school to attend (scam when it's all done and said) but to be fair you do learn
    •6 weeks w/ a trainer to learn more before you head out on your own

Cons

No exaggeration to any extent:
    •Pay
    •Home time
    •This business lacks professionalism
    •Everything is sporadic
    •Unorganized
    • Vice President, CEO and Safety officials are a joke

This company will not appreciate you standing up or defending yourself at anytime during employment. If you are a strong willed, an intelligent individual, who stands up for your beliefs and for what is right, then pony up and get ready to have unpleasant, degrading and unprofessional meetings with the Vice President, CEO and top Safety officials who try to use their power and job titles as scare tactics. If you are not willing to ask tough questions, defend yourself and stand up for what is right, than have it in your mind that you will always be wrong and at fault. Continue to fall, get ran over and kneel to their transgressions and you will go far with this company. Safety is their pride and joy, for that's their security blanket, their cloak they hide behind and their crutch to fully pass blame onto the driver in the midst of their own knowledgeable negligence. This company has no integrity as you have been lied to several times to be swayed into their world of scams. This company has no place in America and should relocate to China, Russia or any other country that have no problem violating human rights and engaging in sweatshop practices. You will work your hardest, longest and most tiring weeks ever and be rewarded with a $23 check. I guarantee with 100% certainty, you find yourself working 75-80 hour weeks minimum without a restart and be handed a "0" dollar paycheck, and that's on the company side! Now, the alliance side you will hopefully become a MPG Master, because your trying to do everything you can to succeed at this new "business" and opportunity you think you've been granted; in which, unfortunately being a MPG Master means ababsolutely nothing due to the fact Stevens Transport fights you every step of the way by litigating and micromanging your business to their benefit and in the end you will not get the miles you need to sustain a healthy financially stable way of life. You will get $-377, $-257, and $-400 paychecks after working 70+ hour weeks and that's a guarantee, no matter how hard you try. Grievously, when you maintain your MPGs and buy your fuel with a business frame of mind, Stevens Transport will not work with you and get you the miles you need and want; although, you will always, and I reiterate the word "always", get the miles you need to pay them your loan payment for their school you went through, your fuel you purchase and your weekly truck payment leaving you high and dry. Stevens Transport dictates and micromanages your business so much that you are constrained to living off of your cash advances; in which, inevitably engulfs your next already lean paycheck keeping you in the negative and living more off of your future cash advances. This company lives and thrives having your life in their hands to minupulate for their personal gain. However there are a very, and I mean very few drivers here at Stevens Transport who love Stevens Transport, but the majority of the drivers here are struggling, hurting and barely keeping their heads above water. Please and I desperately plead with you to please think twice before joining the corrupt ranks of Stevens Transport. This is not the place for you or anyone. Stevens Transport is nafarious, fraudulent and criminal.

CEO and Vice president should definitely rethink their values, principals, and morals. Learn what integrity is and put it to use. This company sabotages more people's lives than it helps.