Stevens Transport

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.1

Steven L. Aaron

Had a great time working here!

Former Employee - Driver in Stockdale, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Stockdale, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice trucks,
    Nice equipment,
    Friendly management, very easy to reach your 70 hours a week, I loved that the disposal sites were catered with steaks, fajitas, hamburgers chips sodas Gatorade.

Cons

dispatch can be a pain, and sucks that no one can have sat and sun off, sadly that is why I had to find another job, which only took about a day.

Only pro is you get your cdl and training but other than that a horrible horrible place of employment.

Current Employee - Alliance Otr Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Alliance Otr Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

You learn to protect the motoring public and drive a heavy truck safely. But thats is pretty much it after that is all down hill.

Cons

Nothing i say here is an exaggeration. This company prefers familyless, homeless, non intelligence types, or people whoms parents made then get jobs. Very Low pay so Money should not be the reason you work for this company.

They demand 4-5 weeks on the road minimum as a driver. Up to 3 months for people that do not complain. And only 3 to 4 days home after that. On the 4th day they will be calling you to get back in the truck. You will have to go thru all chains of command to get home when you request. Personell actually tell you " if you need to be home on the 15th tell you driver mgr you need to be home on the 5th. And you may get in by the 15th."

Being that you get paid by the mile, if you moniter your milage you will notice they skim or remove miles that you should have been paid for. When attempting to get reimbursed for these miles noone will cooperate with you. It like trying to find a needle in a haystack thats in the middle of an active circus with the circus tent on fire during an earthquake.

Everyone in the main office is over worked, over managed, under paid and bitter. One lady worked there for 10 yrs and barely made above minimum wage. Her fault ...yes but as a company with a ten year employee they should be ashamed. The staff does mean to take their anger and bitterness out on the students and drivers but the do. You cannot believe ANYTHING you are told by office staff. Incorrect information is given to to satisfy the person asking the question. And when that is proven wrong everyone says the says the same the...who told you that... they were wrong.

Everything that happens to there truck is your fault. If you are legally parked and in a shower and your truck is damaged.... you should not have parked there..... you need to pay..... The truck breaks down you should have caught it in you daily inspection.

If/When you leave, this company will sue you for the student loan payment before you can even setup a payment plan with them. Just not a good place to work. And no matter where you go.. any city any state there will always be an ex stevens driver that will come up to you and say the same thing. I know what your going through. I drove for stevens its one of the worst companys out here! Leave as soon as you can.

Every thing I have said here is true... even the part about the circus fire.

The system of the working poor keeps you rich so you can continue to drive the multiple $100k+ vehicles and live in the big fancy houses. while your employees walk, ride buses, or carpool and struggle to make ends meet. You company will continue to fail because there are so may drivers that you have done wrong that are spreading the word to your current drivers that not all trucking companys are as horrible as you try to brain wash everyone to think that are in the classrooms. If this message could magically end up in the right persons hands I would say to them. Improve your relationship with your drivers. Thats all.

Not Happy with them

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None at this time. See no future.

Cons

Not enough home time. They dont think enough about family issues.

Forced dispatch

Not as sweet as they said it was

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You do learn how to be a safe semi driver, , see a lot of this country, mostly highways and St Rd

Cons

You dont see any sites unless thr road takes right buy it, and you surely don't make any money, they hope your desperate, and they hit you for anthing to keep you in there debt.

Do half of what you say, and you keep a lot more driver's around.

Excellent Training Program

Former Employee - Solo Grad/OTR Refer Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Solo Grad/OTR Refer Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Knowledge used as primary tool for Employee Confidence Established

Cons

Only Con is scheduling any family time / 5 weeks on 3 days off is an overwhelming commitment...But clearly for an individual that rolls with complete freedom this would be perfect.

Work-Life balance would have been fabulous...Great company and position Time off was impossible when management was approached.

Nightmare!!!

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

Decent training with a few instructors who do actually care... You can learn a lot if you can filter out all the negative vibes from good instructors who are burned out from long hours and large classes.

Cons

Training classes are very large and there not enough instructors or equipment to go around. Instructors are very tired and overworked. I was very lucky and had an awsome trainer when I finished my schooling, thankful because I would've starved otherwise because i had to send some money home to the family. I finally got finished with all my training and your thrown to the wolves, and criticized for questions or seeking help, driver manager was totally clueless and acted like it was my fault I didn't know. I transflo all my paper work and still had to wait for pay. Almost 2 weeks at one point, I actually went 3 days without eating at one point. They constantly were not paying saying they didn't receive my paperwork, yet when I gave them the transflo confirmation number they were like oh there it is.... Got tired of all the lies so I know work for a smaller company better money that I actually receive and I home a couple times a week. My experience with Stevens was very poor and took a big toll on my family. Wouldn't recommend putting the future of your family in the hands of Stevens Transport. ..

Need driver managers and dispatchers who have actually driven before, need big help in driver retention and the school needs more instructors one on one instruction was non existing and instructors were wore out... oh and everything is not always the drivers fault, sometimes it's lazy driver managers and dispatchers looking for an easy way out. .. talk to your drivers don't just take the word of the DM's and dispatchers.

Safety oriented, nearly illegal pay for new drivers

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Stevens Transport as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This school has one of the best training programs out there. If you wanna be one of the safest drivers on the road, this is it. Then leave.

Cons

Werner has the same training program, and they pay...period. With Stevens, I was unable to pay the bills at home, let alone support myself while I was training. Thankfully I had a GREAT OTR trainer. He didn't let me go hungry, he got me showers, and bought some new clothes for me. If it wasn't for him, I'd be broke, hungry, very stinky, and under clothed. Be prepared. You will not see you're family for up to four months. Their promises are hollow words, and don't hold any water. Stevens Driver mgrs. are very rude and don't give a damn about. All you are is a warm body for a cold driver seat.

Clean house. Hire retired drivers, and active drivers for in office work. They will care for their drivers.

The good and the bad.

I have been working at Stevens Transport

Pros

They do have their own school and they stress safety in all of their drivers, from the beginner up to the veterans.

Cons

Trying to get home is almost like pulling teeth. The night/weekend dispatchers are only concerned with getting the loads moving, and don't recognize the fact that a drivers' home time is coming up. In one year of driving, I have always been late for my scheduled time off, and usually a week to two weeks late.

Use former drivers as dispatchers and driver managers. Non drivers have no idea what drivers go through.

How deep does your wallet go...?

Former Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Yes you will get your C.D.L. Yes you will drive a truck.

Cons

If you go to school in Colorado you will have a really great time studying non-stop, with 4-6 room mates, 10 feet from a train track that runs every 20 minutes. But you don't need sleep. Another benefit is that there is no pay. So watch your pennies. After you survive the school driving trucks that are held together by years of mud and tape. They have a well planned Greyhound tour for you to get to Texas. Where you will be staying at one of there many lavish roach motels. During the week that follows you must endure the medical and forms and countless managers that pop up during class and orientation. Now your hope builds you signed up. Got your photo ID and your one of the grunts. Wait now.. you can be there for a week or more waiting for a trainer. They might even send you out for one. Reason why trainers do not go to the yard. Is they don't want to get stuck at the yard. So after flying out or busing it to your trainer. You may now meet the guy who really doesn't want you on the truck in the first place. sure you will have your fun moments. after 6 weeks of training and attempting to do video modules. while pretending to get enough rest. Looking back you have realized that you only make at most 350.00 a week. Hmm.. time invested for that past few months working 24/7 averages you have been working for around .10 cents per hour. How much have you sent home to help the family. Nothing. Hope is here you have made it back to graduate and get your own truck. Assuming you made it with only one trainer the time. Now they don't say you can go home first before grad class cause then the bill is on them. So they push you to class. Lets get him a load to make money. Wait. Now you have to be cleared. Another medical appointment, check that blood pressure. IF you pass congrats only 16 more departments to check off. Now go inspect your truck. Needs repair its old and expected. Might be a week. Oh did i tell you once you grad your a driver. So you don't get paid anymore. That's a week without pay. Sorry. You also have already accumulated a massive bill. 4500 est for school. 65 for books and pulp thermometer. You actually need to pay 2 dollars a week to use a free program "Transflo" to get paid. And now that you have the truck and your ready to go home say to the east coast. First they need to send you to California. And if your lucky within a month you may get to go home. But remember. You can only park your truck at an approved location even if it is 300 miles away from your house. Other then that seems peachy. Sign me up. Oh wait I did. OOPs..

Yes it was a rant from a former employee. However. IF your student planner did his job. And actually cared about the students. And the counselors where there for the students. Which by the way my counselor said absolutely nothing when I complained and she never returned a single call. Well IF this letter helps stop any new driver from signing up I did my job. My advice is if Stevens is a family minded employer. They should start caring about the drivers and there families more then how much they can nickle and dime the dreamers and future drivers. We are professionals, We are business partners, We are adults, And We make the freight move.

Great school, but pay sucks.

Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The school is good. You can get the same training at any decent school.

Cons

Pay is $0 for 5 weeks, $300 a week for 8 weeks, $.26 cpm after. I couldn't live on that.

I know you have plenty of people coming in through your school and for two years you think you can hold it over them, but hometime is very important.