Stevens Transport

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
2.1

Steven L. Aaron

Fast pace and new challenges everyday

Current Employee - Training Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Training Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

working with dedicated people everyday. Very safety oriented and willing to do anything to keep the fleet productive and safe

Cons

high turnover due to lack of positive energy by the supervisors. Very poor communication and direction given by supervisors. Low pay scale

Find someone to increase retention.

TERRIBLE

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job out of school and decent training.

Cons

Where should I start... Stevens put me in a motel that I was ashamed to tell my family about. I have heard the changed this due to the complaints. My trainer kicked me out of the truck because I wanted to do things by the book. When I finished training they kept me from getting home and tried to get me to park 90 miles from my home. They told me this wouldn't happen if " you just sign a lease" DO NOT SIGN A LEASE. you will inevitably have to train to make money. OH and lastly they have stolen about 500$ from me through, what they say are " invalid lumper receipts" I am now leaving that company. I am to good of a driver to work there. GET SIX MONTHS EXPERIENCE AND LEAVE THEM......trust me, I am college educated,. Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.1 GPA P.S. Oh I forgot to mention they are currently not honoring the medical bills for my child. and I pay 98 dollars a week. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW FOR ME!!!!

There are to many good companies out there for the culture at Stevens to be this crude. Get over yourselves.

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO CALL "HOME"

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to get your training and start your career.

Cons

Bad equipment. The alliance program sucks. Low pay and hardly any home time. Horrible driving managers. Maintenance is very slow and yard time is very long.

Communicate more with your drivers and be more concern of their needs.

Seems like all student driver companies are the same

Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding training; teaching students how to be safe on the road and protect the motoring public. Good training procedures with two 4 day classes and two times out on the road, once with a driver trainer and once with another student driver.

Cons

Poor management, lack of respect or courtesy for the drivers and students, low pay rate for students compared to other companies. The new drivers don't make as much money because the drivers with seniority or in the Alliance lease program will get the best loads.

Admit when you make mistakes and don't be so hard nosed on your students.

good training great foundation to start

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

good training, and foundation to start

Cons

pay, refer wating load and unload

Stevens School Comes First, Trucking and Drivers Come Second...

Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Training Program takes about 6 months start to finish. They will pay for your Passport card and your Hazmat endorsement, and tell you you will get more miles, sure it's more miles but you will sit for hours without a load. " I am not mad or disgruntled with Stevens, I am telling you this so if you go to work for them you will go in with eyes wide open. Do not loose your home, spouse, and family because you are uninformed, I had to watch this happen to one to many drivers in my year there.

Cons

Nothing is what it seems. After being there a year I learned the trucking side of Stevens is nothing more than a write off for the school side that they are making millions on. Students usually quit within the first year and still have to payback the loan. I was not a student nor had a loan with them. I stayed a company driver and never fell prey to their Alliance program, no new driver should go with this program til you have One year solo with them and can be a Trainer to keep the truck moving to make the payments. As a company driver I could run 600 to 650 miles per day, but had a lot of waiting on loads and never seemed to keep you rolling as promised. Pay was horrible compared to other companies out there but then they do not care they have plenty of students to take your place. A lot of out of route miles you do not get paid for , they pay zip code to zip code. Lucky if you get 1500 miles a week.

It's really to bad this could be a really nice company if upper management did their job, listened to their drivers and really cared about them as they said, instead they just put in their time degrade people and just collect their fat paycheck every week.. Wish Mr. Aaron Stevens was really in tune to what is happening to his company if I could sit down one on one with him I am positive that the wool that's pulled over his eyes would be uncovered and all H___ would break loose.

Okay experience

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time

Pros

You work with some good people, and they're trying to make positive changes. They're also really strong within their industry. Pay tends to be low.

Cons

Management is very oldschool still. Minimal holidays, very limited vacation time, long hours, no wireless internet outside of the drivers lounge.

Loosen up a little on employees, maybe expand vacation time. Pay can be low. Better coffee and wireless internet in the office would help some as well.

A Good Place To Start

Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training program is by far one of the BEST! Home Time is not a problem but for me it's because I live where freight goes to and the Prima Donas Drivers don't want to drive into(NYC). Actually getting anywhere is not a problem if you work it correctly. Best equipment by far. For the current drivers not happy-go somewhere else. You will find it's the same at another company just painted in a different color. Especially once the Honeymoon is over. Communicating with different departments for ME is not an issue but then again it's ALL on how you conduct yourself while on the phone. Give attitude expect some back!! If you are looking to start into the industry it's a great place to start however if you're looking to make BIG BUCKS instantly try somewhere else.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the Leasing Program. Seems like you get more recognition on the Alliance side. Really don't care to hear about all the completions,bonus,etc over the Qualcom. Otherwise not a bad place to work

Wish there was a better method of getting through on the weekends. Staffing is too light for the amount of drivers out here.

Big Mistake

Former Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best, and only reason to work at Stevens is their driver training. It is by far the best in the industry.

Cons

The pay is horrible. New drivers are started at $0.26/mile, and unfortunately, the new drivers (and many of the older drivers) are not getting enough miles to make any money. Communication with driver managers is sporadic at best. When runs are assigned, they are usually with incorrect information for pickup times and delivery, and they are assigned with no chance of making the delivery on time, therefore stranding drivers who have to wait at least one day or two to make their deliveries. Drivers are unable to get runs strung together, and can be stranded at truck stops for up to 3 days, with no pay. Office conditions are deplorable. The company is run by several micro managers, who have beaten down their employees. I have never been in a company before where everyone walks with their head down, not making eye contact. It reminded me of Budapest shortly after the USSR left. In addition, drivers are told they will be home every three weeks, when in fact it is usually three or four months before they get runs that will bring them home, therefore work/life balance is non-existent

Quit micromanaging your employees, and improve conditions. Hire more driver managers, and find a better way to coordinate runs so that drivers can make a decent living.

All I got from Stevens were lies.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of one reason to go to Stevens.

Cons

Everything the recruiter told me was a lie.

Even the management lied to me when I got there. Waste of time and money.