Stevens Transport

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.2

Steven L. Aaron

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO CALL "HOME"

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to get your training and start your career.

Cons

Bad equipment. The alliance program sucks. Low pay and hardly any home time. Horrible driving managers. Maintenance is very slow and yard time is very long.

Communicate more with your drivers and be more concern of their needs.

good training great foundation to start

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

good training, and foundation to start

Cons

pay, refer wating load and unload

Seems like all student driver companies are the same

Former Employee - Student Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Outstanding training; teaching students how to be safe on the road and protect the motoring public. Good training procedures with two 4 day classes and two times out on the road, once with a driver trainer and once with another student driver.

Cons

Poor management, lack of respect or courtesy for the drivers and students, low pay rate for students compared to other companies. The new drivers don't make as much money because the drivers with seniority or in the Alliance lease program will get the best loads.

Admit when you make mistakes and don't be so hard nosed on your students.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stevens School Comes First, Trucking and Drivers Come Second...

Former Employee - Company Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Training Program takes about 6 months start to finish. They will pay for your Passport card and your Hazmat endorsement, and tell you you will get more miles, sure it's more miles but you will sit for hours without a load. " I am not mad or disgruntled with Stevens, I am telling you this so if you go to work for them you will go in with eyes wide open. Do not loose your home, spouse, and family because you are uninformed, I had to watch this happen to one to many drivers in my year there.

Cons

Nothing is what it seems. After being there a year I learned the trucking side of Stevens is nothing more than a write off for the school side that they are making millions on. Students usually quit within the first year and still have to payback the loan. I was not a student nor had a loan with them. I stayed a company driver and never fell prey to their Alliance program, no new driver should go with this program til you have One year solo with them and can be a Trainer to keep the truck moving to make the payments. As a company driver I could run 600 to 650 miles per day, but had a lot of waiting on loads and never seemed to keep you rolling as promised. Pay was horrible compared to other companies out there but then they do not care they have plenty of students to take your place. A lot of out of route miles you do not get paid for , they pay zip code to zip code. Lucky if you get 1500 miles a week.

It's really to bad this could be a really nice company if upper management did their job, listened to their drivers and really cared about them as they said, instead they just put in their time degrade people and just collect their fat paycheck every week.. Wish Mr. Aaron Stevens was really in tune to what is happening to his company if I could sit down one on one with him I am positive that the wool that's pulled over his eyes would be uncovered and all H___ would break loose.

Okay experience

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time

Pros

You work with some good people, and they're trying to make positive changes. They're also really strong within their industry. Pay tends to be low.

Cons

Management is very oldschool still. Minimal holidays, very limited vacation time, long hours, no wireless internet outside of the drivers lounge.

Loosen up a little on employees, maybe expand vacation time. Pay can be low. Better coffee and wireless internet in the office would help some as well.

A Good Place To Start

Current Employee - Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training program is by far one of the BEST! Home Time is not a problem but for me it's because I live where freight goes to and the Prima Donas Drivers don't want to drive into(NYC). Actually getting anywhere is not a problem if you work it correctly. Best equipment by far. For the current drivers not happy-go somewhere else. You will find it's the same at another company just painted in a different color. Especially once the Honeymoon is over. Communicating with different departments for ME is not an issue but then again it's ALL on how you conduct yourself while on the phone. Give attitude expect some back!! If you are looking to start into the industry it's a great place to start however if you're looking to make BIG BUCKS instantly try somewhere else.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the Leasing Program. Seems like you get more recognition on the Alliance side. Really don't care to hear about all the completions,bonus,etc over the Qualcom. Otherwise not a bad place to work

Wish there was a better method of getting through on the weekends. Staffing is too light for the amount of drivers out here.

Big Mistake

Former Employee - Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best, and only reason to work at Stevens is their driver training. It is by far the best in the industry.

Cons

The pay is horrible. New drivers are started at $0.26/mile, and unfortunately, the new drivers (and many of the older drivers) are not getting enough miles to make any money. Communication with driver managers is sporadic at best. When runs are assigned, they are usually with incorrect information for pickup times and delivery, and they are assigned with no chance of making the delivery on time, therefore stranding drivers who have to wait at least one day or two to make their deliveries. Drivers are unable to get runs strung together, and can be stranded at truck stops for up to 3 days, with no pay. Office conditions are deplorable. The company is run by several micro managers, who have beaten down their employees. I have never been in a company before where everyone walks with their head down, not making eye contact. It reminded me of Budapest shortly after the USSR left. In addition, drivers are told they will be home every three weeks, when in fact it is usually three or four months before they get runs that will bring them home, therefore work/life balance is non-existent

Quit micromanaging your employees, and improve conditions. Hire more driver managers, and find a better way to coordinate runs so that drivers can make a decent living.

All I got from Stevens were lies.

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't think of one reason to go to Stevens.

Cons

Everything the recruiter told me was a lie.

Even the management lied to me when I got there. Waste of time and money.

Driver, trainer, alliance trainer, alliance fleet manager

Current Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

best equipment in the industry ,

Cons

you must wait to make money - think smart

I like the way they manage the operation system, pre-plans are the best way to inform drivers how to plan their trips

Good company

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training with room to grow. There are alot of options avaible to a driver, company leasing, o/o, trainer, teams even having drivers work under you. The staff has always been helpful and polite. They work at your success. Safety and compliance are a high priorty with them. I have never had problems getting repairs done or been asked to violate an HOS rule. If you are ever not comfortable with the driving conditions find a safe place to park and let them know. When it comes to safety, there saftety department will always have your back.
       If you decide to work for them you must remember a couple things 1st they are a training company so there is more micro managment from them. It gets better as you gain experience tho. 2nd is they are a big company and you need to stay in communication with your d/m to help him get you the miles you want to drive. You also have to want to drive. If you are going to any trucking company thinking that you are going to work 9 to 5 or drive 400 miles a day and make a living OTR is not the job for you.
      There equipment is great after you get to there regular fleet Peterbuilts and Kenworths are the main stay trucks. Going thru the training part it is servicable but worn and tired which I think would be expected since you are in training.
      From the time I started with them I always understood they wanted 6 wks out i have talked to several other drivers that didnt understand that or were lied to by there recruiter acording to them. I learned a long time ago recreuiters/salesmen twist the truth you just have to know how to look thru it.

Cons

Long training program 8/9 weeks pay could be better thru this. Not any real cons I can think of. The things i had/have problems with are indicitive of big companies and I have work most of my life for small companies so I have needed to learn how to adjust.

Worked for Stevens Transport? Contribute to the Community!