Stevens Transport

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.1

Steven L. Aaron

Great school, but pay sucks.

Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The school is good. You can get the same training at any decent school.

Cons

Pay is $0 for 5 weeks, $300 a week for 8 weeks, $.26 cpm after. I couldn't live on that.

I know you have plenty of people coming in through your school and for two years you think you can hold it over them, but hometime is very important.

Stevens did me good when I first started trucking.

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stevens is a great place to get into trucking. Good equipment and good training.

Cons

Management said they were open door but it took forever to get in to see anyone.

Driver Manager aka Repower Specialist

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

I got a paycheck and gave 55 hours a week of my life to Stevens. "Casual" day on Fridays for some of the office folks.

Cons

If you enjoy micromanagement and being treated that of nothing more than a slave this joint is for you! The training here was a joke in itself, you had too many eyes watching your every move at very moment. When you get a fleet you know half of what you need to know and then get thrown under to bus cause you don't know what you're doing. If you ask for help you're chewed out or even belittled. Their safety and management style is backwards compared to any other company you will come across. If something happens at night that you have no control over be prepared to go to an upper managers office and be crucified or an email for one of the Nazi's upstairs who owns the company. Fear and embarrassment is routine here from drivers to management. Gotta love the daily morning meetings with some of the classic lines such as: "we can fire you when we want", " be lucky you have a job", or my favorite " who the hell trained you people to do your jobs". I was personally written up for a doctors appointment with a note from the doctor, really are you people that shallow? Also, look under everyone's desk there is a cardboard box I kid you not. That is how much fear people live in here. I got lucky after 2 years and escaped, but HR likes to bad mouth former office employees and give negative references even if you give your notice.

Clean house from top to bottom, get rid of micromanagement it doesn't work, hire people who have expeirence not some college kid who is clueless to trucking, use positive reinforcement in morning meetings, and stop using fear tactics on employees!

companies personnel endangerment policies and actions

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

you get a parcial paycheck

Cons

dispatchers call companies to remove trucks from employees stating that the employee abandoned the equipment while the employee is there with the equipment.

some employees make sure to have proof against the said action against them and will report the company to the proper authorities to investigate falsified acquisitions' made by the company against there personnel and/or its employees.

Fast pace and new challenges everyday

Current Employee - Training Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Training Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

working with dedicated people everyday. Very safety oriented and willing to do anything to keep the fleet productive and safe

Cons

high turnover due to lack of positive energy by the supervisors. Very poor communication and direction given by supervisors. Low pay scale

Find someone to increase retention.

TERRIBLE

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Stevens Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job out of school and decent training.

Cons

Where should I start... Stevens put me in a motel that I was ashamed to tell my family about. I have heard the changed this due to the complaints. My trainer kicked me out of the truck because I wanted to do things by the book. When I finished training they kept me from getting home and tried to get me to park 90 miles from my home. They told me this wouldn't happen if " you just sign a lease" DO NOT SIGN A LEASE. you will inevitably have to train to make money. OH and lastly they have stolen about 500$ from me through, what they say are " invalid lumper receipts" I am now leaving that company. I am to good of a driver to work there. GET SIX MONTHS EXPERIENCE AND LEAVE THEM......trust me, I am college educated,. Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.1 GPA P.S. Oh I forgot to mention they are currently not honoring the medical bills for my child. and I pay 98 dollars a week. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW FOR ME!!!!

There are to many good companies out there for the culture at Stevens to be this crude. Get over yourselves.

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO CALL "HOME"

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to get your training and start your career.

Cons

Bad equipment. The alliance program sucks. Low pay and hardly any home time. Horrible driving managers. Maintenance is very slow and yard time is very long.

Communicate more with your drivers and be more concern of their needs.

Seems like all student driver companies are the same

Former Employee - Student Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding training; teaching students how to be safe on the road and protect the motoring public. Good training procedures with two 4 day classes and two times out on the road, once with a driver trainer and once with another student driver.

Cons

Poor management, lack of respect or courtesy for the drivers and students, low pay rate for students compared to other companies. The new drivers don't make as much money because the drivers with seniority or in the Alliance lease program will get the best loads.

Admit when you make mistakes and don't be so hard nosed on your students.

good training great foundation to start

I worked at Stevens Transport

Pros

good training, and foundation to start

Cons

pay, refer wating load and unload

Stevens School Comes First, Trucking and Drivers Come Second...

Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stevens Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Training Program takes about 6 months start to finish. They will pay for your Passport card and your Hazmat endorsement, and tell you you will get more miles, sure it's more miles but you will sit for hours without a load. " I am not mad or disgruntled with Stevens, I am telling you this so if you go to work for them you will go in with eyes wide open. Do not loose your home, spouse, and family because you are uninformed, I had to watch this happen to one to many drivers in my year there.

Cons

Nothing is what it seems. After being there a year I learned the trucking side of Stevens is nothing more than a write off for the school side that they are making millions on. Students usually quit within the first year and still have to payback the loan. I was not a student nor had a loan with them. I stayed a company driver and never fell prey to their Alliance program, no new driver should go with this program til you have One year solo with them and can be a Trainer to keep the truck moving to make the payments. As a company driver I could run 600 to 650 miles per day, but had a lot of waiting on loads and never seemed to keep you rolling as promised. Pay was horrible compared to other companies out there but then they do not care they have plenty of students to take your place. A lot of out of route miles you do not get paid for , they pay zip code to zip code. Lucky if you get 1500 miles a week.

It's really to bad this could be a really nice company if upper management did their job, listened to their drivers and really cared about them as they said, instead they just put in their time degrade people and just collect their fat paycheck every week.. Wish Mr. Aaron Stevens was really in tune to what is happening to his company if I could sit down one on one with him I am positive that the wool that's pulled over his eyes would be uncovered and all H___ would break loose.