Stevens & Tate

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.2

Dan Gartlan

Valuable internship experience at a friendly medium-sized agency.

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Stevens & Tate

Pros

I interned at Stevens & Tate in the fall semester. I found the company to be very friendly, most of the staff was pretty outgoing and made effort to make me feel welcome while I was there. The internship was focused on one department, but they allowed me to take on tasks from others. They made an effort to ensure that the internship was matched to my skill set and not busy work or fetching coffee. I was also allowed some freedom in shaping the assignments to my skills and had a surprising degree of control over my projects. I’m glad to have an agency on my resume now and also some new work for my portfolio.

Cons

Not a big, flashy agency, but on the plus side I knew everyone's name by the time I left.

New and exciting challenges everyday

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Stevens & Tate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good location if you want to work in the western burbs. Typical agency set-up in a colorful office environment. Lots of great and knowledgeable people who do great work—among the smartest, most strategic and collaborative I've ever worked with. Team really cares about creating the best work for clients. There is always something new happening and what you are doing today will be completely different from what you were doing a year ago. There is a constant effort to evolve processes and how business is done to ensure the agency stays on the cutting edge of the industry and relevant in a changing landscape.

Cons

The hours can be long and the work can be demanding, depending on the projects or clients you work on and the seasonality of the business. I've never heard anything different about a small advertising agency but it is not for everyone. Long commute if you live in the city. Close to highways but not really close to Metra.

Fun, young environment with lots of opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Stevens & Tate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'd have to say the best pros for working here has been the hands-on learning experience. I started working at S&T right out of college and immediately began working closely with my manager to learn the ins and outs of agency-life. I started to work on actual Client work and nothing felt better than having my work sent into the Client's hands.

My favorite part about S&T are the people I work with. After being here for over 2 years I have made lifelong friendships and have fun coming into work every single day.

Cons

Like most advertising agencies, I do have to work late to complete some time-sensitive tasks. The upside is I enjoy the people I work with so "after-work" time does not feel like a chore.

I would suggest to upper-management to encourage newer employees to ask a bunch of questions. Sometimes newer employees may feel intimidated but no question is a bad question.

The Advertising Industry Can Be Rewarding But Isn't For Everybody

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• Fantastic co-workers, the employees are welcoming and helpful

• Continue your growth and development, you are exposed to do work for real clients

• Great team environment that continues to push everyone to perform their best

Cons

• Be prepared to work hard, it's rewarding work and you get what you put into it

• You don't receive Black Friday off by default

The employees they hire know what they're doing. They are all friendly, open, interesting people who love to talk about their work. The number one complaint that I heard amongst the staff is the hours. You can stay late occasionally based on the complexity of your assigned projects.

Nice employees, but didn't learn a whole lot.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I liked my supervisors. They were very nice and always answered questions that I had. The office was also a nice environment.

Cons

A lot of "busy" work, do not hire interns, a lot of drama with management.

Be more involved with your employees and interns and try to keep your personal drama with one another to a minimum (at least in the workplace).

Demeaning management, under-appreciated, toxic environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Stevens & Tate full-time

Pros

Good advertising experience for entry level

Cons

Management will never value their employees, even if you work your butt off
    Toxic environment
    Can turn a very positive person into a very negative and sad person
    No raises (your not worth it) they avoid it like the plague
    Only hire people out of college so they can pay them less
    No training, expectations are unrealistic
    Work life balance- extremely poor- can't leave for doctors appointment (have to use vacation) even if you work overtime quite frequently
    6 days for holidays a year..... that's it.

Appreciate your workers, doesn't have to be through monetary ways, but just a verbal great job once.. ever.. would be appreciated.

Overall a neat small marketing firm to start your career with.

I have been working at Stevens & Tate

Pros

People are generally nice and the working environment is pretty neat. A lot of interns to work with so the overall working atmosphere is young and energetic.

Cons

The location is not very convenient, not many place to rent for an apt nearby unless you have a house there. A lot of traffic from Chicago to Lombard everyday.

Isolated and Poorly Trained

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Has a knack for hiring talented and interesting people

Cons

Does not look out for employee well-being

Analyze your turnover rate and take action to correct it immediately

Save your energy (and happiness), so corrupt it will make you sick.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I worked at Stevens & Tate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good location.. that's about it.

Cons

Under paid, over worked.. harassing. No recognition. Don't waste your time. Seriously, you'll only last a few months because you'll be so miserable.

I could go on and on about how management needs to respect their employees, but what's the point? You can't give them advice. They won't listen.

Exceptional employees working for a corrupt company.

I worked at Stevens & Tate

Pros

There are incredibly talented individuals that work here but usually only last a year or so due to unrealistic expectations and a demeaning work envoirnment.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate. Management puts high pressure on employees to work crazy hours with no recognition and it is essentially a sweatshop. It is well known that there is one way to the top (lets just say it helps if you are a woman).

Treat your top performers with respect and try to create an enviornment of teaching, not fear. Do not burn all former employee bridges.

Stevens & Tate Photos