Stew Leonard's

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
2.3

Stew Leonard Jr.

Mixed emotions after a while

I have been working at Stew Leonard's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great comradery, Fair Management, Good recipies being put to use, friendly environment, workers operate like a family, Easy going work load

Cons

For what we do, and how long we've all worked; we are paid a rather low amount, and my yearly review was given to me by a coworker who's only true claim to any power was his seniority, not by an actual manager. One more thing I have to comment on is how understaffed production areas are, at a near constant basis.

Quality of food has gone down significantly.

Avoid if at all possible

Former Employee - Lot Attendant in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Lot Attendant in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Stew Leonard's part-time

Pros

Starting wage is decent for retail.

There is usually always a place to park.

Cons

The other reviews do a great job of mentioning the many problems at this store, namely the favoritism, completely inept team leaders, and the out of touch management. Though there are a few things that have yet to be brought up.

The environment at the store is very detrimental to the production of workers. Due to the lack of a union, team leaders can go around behaving in a very unprofessional manner toward the workers beneath them. I can speak from experience that this goes a long way toward weakening a workers' morale. Nobody wants to work while being treated like a dog.

To expand on my previous point about the detrimental environment of the store, the employees always seem to be setup to fail. The machines that would push carts to the front of the store would be broken 70% of the time, easily. And yes, we would still get scorned for not doing everything in a timely manner.

Step down.

Great for high school kids & college students

I have been working at Stew Leonard's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- They don't start you at minimum wage
    - Pretty flexible with regards to scheduling if you're in school
    - Form great friendships with coworkers (depending on your department)

Cons

Favoritism is at an all time high. The hours suck (they only give you 25 max), and if it's not busy enough, they'll send you home a half hour to an hour earlier than your shift ends. For example, if you're scheduled 9am-3pm and it's not busy enough, they'll send you home at 2, including your lunch and your 15. They try to intimidate you and make you feel small. Racism is definitely playing a role as to who moves up where. Communication is lacking terribly. Stew Leonard's is not the same place that it used to be. No benefits for partimers and the benefits that they do offer barely cover anything! Very negative atmosphere.

Learn to appreciate your workers more.

Stews has slowly degraded in quality of food, service and quality of job

Current Employee - Team Leader in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Stew Leonard's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture of the company is still very good with some managers. The company means right by it's employees as long as the managers believes in it's culture and follows stews standards

Cons

The highest management in the yonkers store has completely fell out of touch with what stews was all about. All the president cares about is his bottom line and big bonus. There are leaks all over the store when it rains. Broken floor tiles, broken equipment that takes weeks to be repaired. This makes our jobs so hard to do. There are team members who don't even know who the store president is because he's never on the sales floor. The morale amongst the store is very low that customers see it. They want to save money so they bring in cheap goods.

Don't let the store president bully anyone into doing things that contradict the companies goals and standards

Really a great place to work.

I have been working at Stew Leonard's part-time

Pros

They really know how to accommodate the team members and show that they truly care.

Cons

The job could pay more and get better equipment but other than that it's fine

Terrible Place to Work....

Former Employee - Grocery in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Grocery in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Stew Leonard's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just about nothing...
    The pay is decent I guess, but that is completely offset by the lack of a union anyway...

Cons

The supervisors or should I say "team leaders", are terrible. If they dislike you, then you are in for a rough time. Not only are they terrible, the co-workers are as well. They are complete suck-ups and will throw you under the bus at any opportunity they get. It was to the point that someone whom I never met before from a completely different department told my supervisor that I was doing my job poorly, even though I wasn't. The schedules are horrendous as well. They say that they'll fix you schedule to go along with school, but my meathead supervisor kept scheduling me on days that I had school. When I told him i couldn't come, he would just suck his teeth and say ok. Then he would call me the day I had school and harass me and ask me why I didn't go, even though I told him 10 times that I had school. The next week he would just schedule me the same day and the whole thing would repeat. The fact that there are no unions means they can treat you whichever way they want. Supervisors will treat the workers like garbage regardless of which department they work in. All in all this place is a horrible place to work at and should be avoided if possible...

Treat your workers better and don't expect them to do everything. Fire all the supervisors because the extreme amount of incompetence and favoritism is beyond ridiculous...

No longer a good place to work

I have been working at Stew Leonard's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay every week, good benefits if you are full time. Some managers are k. Good if you are in college or get support from family

Cons

Only 25 hrs or less if you are part time worker. Benefits are expensive and you can't get medicine at common pharmacies like CVS, Duane read.
    Low startibg pay. I waited a whole year for a review and they only gave me small increase because I'm part time. Very few opportunities to move up. They found small things to write you up but other people font get brought to the office for worst offenses.
    Building is old, ceiling is leaking in the cafeteria for workers, some rodents in areas and no one fixes broken machines

Listen to your employees, fix leaks and old machines. Managers should be nicer. President should say hi to employees

This is a wonderful place to work for to get back into the working force.

I have been working at Stew Leonard's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paid every week, they are concern about their employees, each year you get a raise,

Cons

They are only hiring part time no more then 25 hrs a week,

Think about giving new employee more then 25 hrs a week some people have families to care for.

They need a wake up check

Current Employee - Bakery in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Bakery in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Stew Leonard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

its a good place if your starting off or need something on the need be

Cons

The compensation is low and they find little things about your performance to use as an excuse to not give you a raise, you have to wait a year for a raise ....they treat people differently depending on their race .... No employee discount

Don't be so strict on little things such as minor uniform violations. Increase the benefits for part-time and seasonal employees ... tell the truth and watch the hours and don't write up good employees for silly reasons

Awful

Former Employee - Cashier in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Stew Leonard's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid every Friday, that is all I can think of. Lost weight because of all the walking. One of the supervisors was okay.

Cons

Hours, bad produce, and bad supervisors, bad uniforms, and also the sign fingerprint scanner did not always work. had to park far away so customers could park.

listen to your workers on their hours and keep bad produce from the shelves. Enclose the bottle machine so bees can not get in.