Steward Health Care System

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ralph de la Torre

Pros
  • hours allow for work/life balance(in 2 reviews)

• There are some really good people trying to make a positive impact(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is terrible and does not even acknowledge that you exist(in 6 reviews)

• very low employee moral, extremely bad management, leadership has no idea about home care and it's all about the money(in 3 reviews)

Poor support

Office Manager (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsThey are willing to offer autonomy to anyone willing to work harder than their job description requires.

ConsNo support with expectations far greater than compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany should empower and support it's employees.

Incompetent senior management

Corporate (Current Employee) Westwood, MA

ProsIF the mission they talk about were real, at least I could say it was a good cause

ConsAs a woman, advancement is based on looks (or worse, if you know what I mean). No communication from the top. We have no idea what the heck is going on

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine a path, tell us about it, and stick to it. And stop treating women like crap

Worst Ever

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Westwood, MA

ProsLarge corporation experience, and some great people.

ConsWhere do I begin? Awful communication -really awful. There was so much to do, and such little direction. Severe arrogance, back stabbing. Everyone was terrified of the other shoe dropping and further reductions. Frequent reorganizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize staff and patients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate employee for almost 2 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat experience going while acquiring numerous hospitals in a really short amount of time.

ConsNo process in place for anything when I worked there. Management gave no direction to their direct reports because the company was taking on too much at once and not hiring the help it needed to keep up with the workflow.

Some great people to work with that are being betrayed by senior management.

IS Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThere are some really good people trying to make a positive impact. The ones who are good try to create informal teams to try to stay effective (but you have to keep it a secret.)
    The economy is improving so there are better opportunities to leave.

ConsSenior management is running the company into the ground, lot's of lay offs. Company can't even pay its bills so projects languish and systems deteriorate. You can't discuss legitimate concerns without the very real probability of getting fired.
    A Steward resume can be a liability if you are not careful.
    Ralph was never remotely qualified to take the CEO role and his hires and results show it.

When is Cerberus, the real owners, going to wake up and fire him and the rest of his cabal of incompetents? They have to know by now no one will even buy this system because it so bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves first. You are the ones who created the mess.

Terrible place to work

Physician Assistant (Current Employee) Stoughton, MA

ProsThere are none to acknowledge

ConsDisrespectful toward staff. Poor care for patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a management course

Company could be great if it could overcome its senior management

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Personally I am granted a lot of autonomy

ConsSteward gets a lot of crap for being a for-profit which is unfounded. However, it does have some very serious management issues which inevitably trickle downward and result in across-the-board low employee morale, a sense that employees are not appreciated, and a huge disconnect between the work at the hospitals and corporate. Changes in policy are not well communicated, and senior management seems to operate without a long-term plan, meaning changes are frequent and arbitrary. There are some really interesting ideas here about how to change health care but unfortunately Steward seems to think it can implement its ideas by being a bully both to its own employees and to external parties with whom it should be developing relationships.

There is also a serious lack of work-personal life boundaries here which begins with our CEO and again trickles down through senior management. Non-urgent manners are expected to take your immediate attention on weekends and evenings and no vacation is safe from calls from the boss. It's a very male-dominated, impulsive leadership environment which can be exhausting for anyone wanting a life outside the office or able to think long-term about business.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like an adult. Make long-term plans and stick with them (or at least give it more than half a second before changing your mind). When you make changes communicate the reasons why to employees. Realize your employees have lives outside of work and respect that. Improve communication between corporate and hospital sites. Remove anyone who throws a temper tantrum in response to the slightest hiccup out of the C-suite (cough Ralph de la Torre cough).

Thanks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe pay was great and the benefits were too.

ConsThe promote only yes mean and women. A cancerous place where it was terrible to get on the wrong side of senior leadership.

Good experience. Challenging tech.

Prosgood work place; great people; decent cafeteria

Consfrequent managment changes led to confusion of priorities

Definitely "For Profit" and Not for Patients or Employees!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Fall River, MA

ProsI got a calendar for Christmas! There's a paycheck every two weeks, but check for errors!

ConsIt's astounding how much work nurses are expected to do on their own time; average is about 3 hours worth after each shift. Calls to doctors, patients & family members, supply orders, admission paperwork, patient scheduling, picking up supplies, dropping off lab specimens, etc, etc. Nurses work also as Case Managers, a neat trick which allows corporate to pay one salary for two jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply The Golden Rule....How would It be if You were the nickel-and-dimed patient or overworked and unappreciated employee? Would You want to work 15 hours overtime every week for free? Would You want the cheapest supplies used for your medical care?

Worked for Steward Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!