Steward Health Care System

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014
1.8

Ralph de la Torre

Pros
  • There are some really good people trying to make a positive impact (in 3 reviews)

• good work place; great people; decent cafeteria (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is running the company into the ground, lot's of lay offs (in 7 reviews)

• No one cares about how the employee feels they only care about making the money (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great hospice team ti work with, but no support or interest from management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful hospice RNs, SWs, chaplains, and aides. Very good health insurance, salary a little better than most.

Cons

Absolutely no support from management. During my time there we were without a Clinical Director for over 6 months, and without an Executive Director for a month or more. Nurses had no one but other RNs & the medical director to consult with over difficult and sometimes critical medical decisions. Senior management showed very little interest in what was happening in the hospice division and seemed to be more interested in the bottom line than in patient welfare.

Either get out of the hospice business or start paying attention and supporting a team of hard-working, compassionate professionals. Improve communications with field personnel. Find a way to drive more traffic to hospice division. I was down to 6 patients when I left, and should have had at least 20.

Incompetent senior management

Current Employee - Corporate in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IF the mission they talk about were real, at least I could say it was a good cause

Cons

As a woman, advancement is based on looks (or worse, if you know what I mean). No communication from the top. We have no idea what the heck is going on

Define a path, tell us about it, and stick to it. And stop treating women like crap

Worst Ever

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large corporation experience, and some great people.

Cons

Where do I begin? Awful communication -really awful. There was so much to do, and such little direction. Severe arrogance, back stabbing. Everyone was terrified of the other shoe dropping and further reductions. Frequent reorganizations.

Prioritize staff and patients.

The Titanic--like Titanic, poor choices are made by those in charge to save money, resulting in disaster.

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like putting in 10 to 20 hrs on your own time above your 40 hrs this is for you. If you like being told you have to use only the branded health care services or nothing is covered, this is for you.

Cons

Management views everyone as expendable. There were about 100 people who left my small division in 2 yrs and 30 who left the same role I had in 2 years, many lasting less than 6 months.
    No raise in 2 years.
    Good people let go, worthless people promoted. New managers constantly brought in who have no regard for the experience of those working under them.
    The workload tripled in 2 years and constantly asked to do even more.

Stop letting good people go. Stick with the strong employees. Listen to what they say. Stop wasting money training new people and appreciate the good ones you have. Get rid of the top heaviness of the management structure. Distribute their inflated salaries to the people who work their butts off for you. The solution to a problem is never "hire more managers" or "create a new management tier".
    Realize that patients are not objects and employees are not chess pieces on a board.

Life Altering Experience

Former Employee - Information Technology in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

An opportunity to contribute to health care. Great company if you like working over a 100 hours a week and being rewarded with a 1% raise.

Cons

This company has no values. Very cut throat senior management within IT. Incompetent male dominated leadership staff within IT and a glorified boy's club that cannot manage a budget much less people. Unrealistic deadlines set by abusive vice presidents. Blatant rewards given to males and not females. No growth opportunity.

Go home!

Money over Pt Care/Safety/Quality

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Steward Health Care System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health insurance, At least you get paid on time

Cons

Health insurance (must go to a Steward MD for the cheapest plans), Poorly managed, Informs staff of "nationwide standards" which are not true, Places quantity of work over quality, doesn not care about employees. Makes site transfers without much advance notice. Salary is much less than competition.

Research trends before telling employees what is and is not the "nationwide standard"

No value placed on their staff or families!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Westwood, MA

I worked at Steward Health Care System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck but they don't compensate their nurses what they should!

Cons

They don't want you spending time with the patients.. They give you orientation for 2 weeks and then throw you out there to the wolves ... By yourself.. If you make a mistake.. 4 months later they take you in an office behind closed doors and write you up or fire you! It's all about the money and no emphasis on quality, patient care.. The management have No idea how to manage their team and most of the team is looking for a new job or they're are going to be fired and not see it coming like 3 of us were in a week!

You have a serious management problem in your Homecare division! I have family who work at BMC and Jordan and the word in healthcare is Steward is not a healthy, quality place for emplyees especially nurses.. It's just goin to get worse and I predict you are going under eventually.