Stewart Enterprises

Stewart Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stewart Enterprises Chairman Frank B. Stewart Jr.

Frank B. Stewart Jr.

Stewart Enterprises merger with Service Corporation Inc

Instructional Designer (Current Employee)
    Jefferson, LA

ProsSCI has a good rating and the merger statement from them states most operational employees will be kept

ConsStewart was sold to SCI so employment at Stewart now is probably not a good idea. Wait to apply with SCI at the funeral homes and cemeteries.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give SCI as much information about the performance of Stewart employees so that SCI can determine which employees to keep.

The best thing about my job is I enjoy the people I work with

Family Service Counselor (Current Employee)
    New Orleans, LA

ProsCaring Team of people that make work enjoyable

ConsThinks Change to much as soon as you learn something they change it

Advice to Senior ManagementSeem to care and want to help with your problems

illegal business tactics

Pre Planning Specialist IV (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

Prostheir is nothing good to say about this company. They cut the pay to minimum wage and expect the same performance and hours as when I was making a 100,000 a year

Consno family life or personal life, illegal business tactics,scams the innocent, harrases the customer, covers up illegal activities, hostile work environment, lies to government agencies, breaks all the rules of humane treatment of employees, manages by intimidation and threats

Advice to Senior Managementthey break all the hr laws. they make you fake your time card so not to show your real working hours, ridicule employees in front of other employees, lie to customers for a sale, management does nothing except harass ,intimidate and do not support their staff

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Caring for people, making a difference. BIG JOKE!

Family Sales Counselor (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsCurrently none. This company shows little or no appreciation for loyal workers.

ConsCut the pay of the people who make the CEO rich. Tremendous responsibilities and minimum compensation. "Caring for people, making a difference" is nothing but lip-service. They do not care, and they make very little difference. They expect sales to sky rocket, and instead sales are taking a nose dive. Go figure....better pay at Burger King!

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to the people who actually DO make the difference. You have left employees no choice but to seek other employment. People do not expect to make less than 4 years before the new pay "structuring".

Job Leaves Me Fighting to Stay Alive

Supervisor - Horticulturist (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

Prosthere are no good things that I can say about this corporation- they are morally and ethically corrupt

ConsContracted Lyme Disease while at work -they are fighting me in court over Workers Comp Claim

Advice to Senior ManagementStop encouraging management cover-ups through lies - Corporate money cannot always buy you the "Win" in court

Monumental reduction in pay for the sales team

Family Sales Counselor (Current Employee)
    Mission Hills, CA

ProsFlexible schedule and my co-workers

ConsPay, focus on sales, not customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've lost many top producers due to the change to 1% commission and unachievable incentive goals. It makes management look very foolish endorsing an incentive plan that takes a $50k sales job and turns it into a $23k job. De-motivating and causing resentment, employees are looking to other options... Management actually said they are prepared for many employees to leave. What company says that?!?!?,

Company motto is "Caring for People, Making a Difference," yet they just cut their employees' pay by 50% nationwide.

Family Sales Counselor (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThis job is personally rewarding in that you are helping people get through a very stressful time in their life when a death occurs in a family. The work schedule offers more flexibility than most jobs.

ConsThis company does not value their employees. Recently they rolled out a new structure that has totally upended this business nationwide. Employees who last year earned 75,000-100,000 are now making $9 an hour and a bonus incentive that can amount to $35,000.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart realizing that your employees are your best asset. Treat them well and compensate them accordingly and they will work hard to grow your business. Right now your employees really don't care if you fail and completely go down in flames.

Funeral Home

Florist (Current Employee)
    Lincoln, NE

ProsDecent vacation time and holiday time. The work is very important.

ConsLow wages, low motivation, high turn over, stupid management decisions that encompass a whole region instead of locally, pressure to sell instead of helping families at their time of death.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not always about money. Instead of high pressure selling, try compassion and watch the money come in.

Exhausting and discouraging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThe best part of this job is that your knowledge can help people during a very difficult time in their life. It is very rewarding and happens almost daily.

You have the ability to plan your schedule around your life.

ConsThe management within this company is very poor. Many are "old school" sales people that are no longer dealing with the families. Because they are so far removed they believe everything is the same as it was in the early days. It is 2012 not 1979

The turnover is due to the lack of support once you have gone through training. Once you have completed your training you are left to fend for yourself. Management doesn't seem to have the time (nor the inclination to find it) so it falls on the shoulders of the "veteran" employees. The veteran employees don't make overrides and make the same commissions as the new employee.

Advice to Senior Management1.Quit asking for anonymous surveys with anonymous managers being rated.
    2. Quit partying with your subordinates. The favoritism is seen by all.

Company is stuck in the "good old days" mentality.

Cemetery Sales Director (Former Employee)
    Fountain Inn, SC

ProsHelping families through a tough time
    Flexibility

Cons100% commission
    no overtime pay
    high turnover with sales staff
    The sales strategy is to sell people with the premise that prices are going to increase every 10 years by 100%. In order to hold that true, they have created their number one problem in this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your sales staff above the 100% commission, this is why the turnover is so high. The job requires time to learn and understand. At 100% commission, most people can't afford to stick around after the 5 weeks of training pay.

Worked for Stewart Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stewart Enterprises reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stewart Enterprises CEO Frank B. Stewart Jr. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Stewart Enterprises employees.