Stewart Title Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

Stewart Title President and CEO Stewart Morris Jr.
Stewart Morris Jr.

Pros
  • Great co workers, good work life balance, work from home days, pay for training and conferences (in 4 reviews)

• Good work life balance, rarely working after 5pm (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management uses a manage by fear method to intimidate the staff to get the work done (in 4 reviews)

• They need to be investigated from the board to the management team and heads need to role (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience working to help home owners keep their homes.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gratification when helping home owners keep their homes.

Cons

When after working so hatd to help a customer to keep their home, but in the end financially was impossible for them to do so.

Keep up the good work!

Fear

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Overtime, Easy once trained, Great Co-workers

Cons

Management, Lay offs, Clash of classes between employees. Realizing some who have no education of job qualifications are getting paid more than you.

IT Department

Former Employee - Service Desk Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Service Desk Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job itself was not bad. Answering phone calls, fixing affiliates and non affiliates computer or program issues, etc. Company pays well with decent benefits.

Cons

There was a huge lack of communication within management while I was there. My immediate boss would ask me to do one thing, and then her boss would tell me I was not doing my job. The department head at the time was very intimidating and quite honestly, made me want to cry every time I spoke to him. I would never work for that department again.

Coach your management to be more respectful to those working under you. There is a better way to help coach your staff and train them properly without being condescending. Also, communicate between yourselves before bringing an employee in and discussing advancement opportunities and/or a pay raise. It is very awkward to be in the middle of your conversation.

Huge company that's stuck in its old ways.

Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. It's an easy enough gig. That's about it.

Cons

The San Antonio branches have an EXTREMELY high turn around rate. Processors and Officers. It's a shame, since there are a few people that have been there FOREVER and really know the ropes- would be great to learn under. However, the management is just not worth it. They take no interest in their employees whether it's making sure that they're all correctly trained, or disciplining in general. This company is well known for being the "big dogs" in this industry, but they're also known for being the company to "get your foot in the door" and paying the lowest. Normally, they won't offer you a raise/assistant/whatever correct or thing you are asking for until you are putting in your 2 weeks notice. As I said- if your looking to get into the title industry this is a good (and easy) place to get into. But put your time, and get out. Those who have stuck around for the 15+ years all seem to have the same bitter attitude.

Treat your employee's better. Get your managers some training on how to treat their employees, or replace them all together. Come up with some real solutions besides just saying you'll do something about the problems. You guys are NOTORIOUS for saying you'll do something and not follow up on it for months or not at all.

Oh, and the "STAAR Awards"? When you give the manager the award for employee of the year (which this should always be given to an officer/examiner/processor), it brings moral really far down.

Bottom line, treat your employee's like their people and fix management. You have a lot of work to do.

Very consistent negatives

Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Modesto, CA

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of one single pro

Cons

I was hired in Modesto branch through the temp angency, I was told I would be trained by another power hungry employee whom wasn't doing her job and I was never given that much. 3 weeks later a friend of the upper management, was hired, she didn't have to go through agency, her training started same day, I was fired day after, according to them it was due to overstaffing, even though they had brought the friend in 2 weeks after me, I was the one let go,and we were both hired for the same position, they had no idea how or if she was even going to work out, this had been their plan all along, I was hired an escrow assistant, but really I they only wanted someone to answer phones until the friend could start, I feel this as very unfair and obvious, that tells me they are a company with no Morales or confidence,they don't care if they have hard workers or playmates. I had been rd this company runs in the red for years at a time, I can now believe it and can see why. There is a lot of feelings that hinder them in making good, unbiased decisions, such as jealousy and a thirst for power. I had been recommended to Stewart Title by a very reliable, well known and admired in the industry,employees they are very fortunate to have. She was a previous supervisor of mine for several years at a different company that has since,unfortnately closed. She was very familiar with my skills and work ethics. I have excellent work history, and I am a very hard worker when given the opportunity.

Learn management skills, show some professionalism, run a brush through your hair and wear clothes that fit. Being a friend is not a job qualification. Try following through with what you promise people, very shady practices., Real estate is a very competitive industry, it is hard enough for people to build an honest and valued reputation, in my opinion companies such as this make it near impossible. Try establishing some pride instead of negative popularity, an area you have become very good at. There you are, I found a pro!

Ruh roh!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very great colleagues, some of the brightest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Since atleast 2009, non Bank of America loans, like NationStar, have been transmitted via a system called AVU to Bank of America twice a day.

Management promotes within each other or cronyism, not necessarily those with the talent.

Because of some greater "One Stewart" initiative, Salary employees are treated more like Hourly employees.

Stop wasting food and oxygen please.

Horrible

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great colleagues , hardworking employees ready to work over time and making sure jobs are done correctly

Cons

difficult management , discrimination, you can never move forward, no job security , very rude management

you want a career then this is not for you. lots of inconsistencies, management is so very unprofessional .

Very challenging and interesting.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with lots of divisions to work in.

Cons

The level of knowledge of Senior Management is not very impressive, poor morale builders and some processes they set in place are just counter-productive. Company has lots of turnaround and is a very stressful work environment. There is blatant favoritism and this creates an even more uncomfortable work atmosphere.

Involve the line level employees that actually do the work that you all commit to the clients. This will give you hands on experience which all of you need to truly know what limitations we have and what can be realistically delivered to our clients instead of unrealistic expectations that set us up for failure. Improve your compensation to be competitive with other companies-merit increases aren't the way to go in today's industry. Loosen up and actually follow the your motto about work/life balance.

Working here is fun great and exciting

Current Employee - Escrow Processor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Escrow Processor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stewart Title full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team Environmentis the main goal

Cons

Nothing, except pay ( shhhhhh)

Keep doing what you are doing !!!

Terrible

Former Employee - Loss Mittigation in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Loss Mittigation in Houston, TX

I worked at Stewart Title as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay and easy wrk

Cons

Everything else! Bad management, horrible environment, and too many Lay-offs

Serious change is needed