Stewart's Shops

Gary C. Dake

great

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsThey are really nice. flexible hours and friendly environment.

Consa bit of sexism goes on in my particular area and it is a bit offensive. if you are trying to work your way up as a woman, i would hope that you are in good shape and fit because those are the only ones being promoted sadly enough.

Advice to Senior Managementdeal with the con i just mentioned.

If you live for work, instead of working to live....this job is for you.

Shop Manager (Former Employee)
    Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsThe Stewarts ESOP....employee stock options plan...retirement. plan. Best around...equal to 1 yr pay for every 5 worked...100% company funded...private company , not stock market traded.

ConsExpect lower than average pay at lower level jobs....management pay is good....shops are open 365 days a year so expect to work all holidays and weekends. Employees are expected to attend meetings on their days off!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the experienced shop managers.....make changes to benefit your employees and their families....not just to chase another dollar profit.

Great people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou'll learn to think on your feet, develop people skills, work flexible hours, and work in a great atmosphere with great partners!

ConsI never had much of an issue with anyone and anything. If you're a hard worker and are willing to adapt to a dynamic environment, you'll be fine.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

crew

Crew (Former Employee)
    Amsterdam, NY

Prosenjoyed the staff and the job

Consthe manager fired me because i was pregnant

Advice to Senior Managementreview your managers monthly and make sure they stay up to date with how they treat employees and run the stores.

Great on Paper

Shop Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits were great, mostly. Retirement is the best around. Loved my staff and had the freedom to grow them as I saw fit. Was able to write my own schedule and be in control of most the daily operations. Great products like milk, coffee, and ice cream coming from local sources and produced locally.

ConsThey have become a company that is less concerned about people and more concerned about the end result. No longer take into consideration if how they get there makes sense or is fair. Constant scrutiny with little recognition for positive results. Three weeks vacation after ten years is it. No sick, personal, or holidays period for managers or partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your black book premise pages and go back to what made the company a great success. Culture should not be something you need to talk about, or teach, it should just exist. Retirement benefits are great, but look into giving more time off during the calendar year and maybe a bit less for retirement for a better balance.

Long hours, decent pay, no home life.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEsop, great pay, 50 percent discount

ConsNo work life balance, crippling payroll.

Hard to make subs, icecream, keep up on gas and make the customers happy when your by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the payroll bar to reflect store needs. Switching to a lot of part timers ruins the stewarts experience,

Good pay, great career experience, very hard job.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsIf you can do this job to the level expected, you can do anything in life.

ConsWay to much to do. Overbearing responsibilities.

Assistant Manager in Training

Assistant Manager In Training (Former Employee)

ProsTheir ESOP retirement program is a seriously awesome program, if you intend to invest the time with them. Great team atmosphere, and company culture.

ConsLost of pressure on the Manager and there budget, constantly cutting hours or working with minimum support. I would like to note that this is common with many small businesses such as gas stations and other comparable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep goals realistic remember if a person is alone on a shift, there should be a third the amount of customers to expect even half the amount of upkeep on the store to be completed. Layover your employees schedules to prevent boredom and stimulate an optimistic energy. Allow music in the store customers and employees both with love it and emulate the energy from it into the store.

Loved the customers, learned a lot, benefits decent, but the district manager made the experience horrible.

Partner (Former Employee)
    Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsThe compensation is decent, there is lots of room for moving up and getting raises. The regular customers make the job worth doing. Learned a lot about running a business.

ConsThe district manager reaps all the benefits but does nothing to help support the staff of his stores. Spent too much of my time there devoting myself to store and coworkers. No breaks, no lunch, no time for hardly anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should learn to treat their employees with more respect. This particular district manager talked down to us, never gave us credit when it was due, always saw "error" even when we were improving. Positive reinforcement works best when managing PEOPLE and respect goes a long way. They would retain so many more of their employees if they knew how to do this, as well as increase the profits of their stores because a happy worker equals a happy business!

Losing their Edge

Partner (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible, great health benefits and amazing retirement

ConsCulture change, the company that once took pride in their bottom up management style has gone the complete opposite way. The company that uses reasons vs. rules is more about rules than ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to your roots, take care of the bottom and the bottom will take care of you.

Worked for Stewart's Shops? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stewart's Shops reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stewart's Shops CEO Gary C. Dake. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Stewart's Shops employees.