Stewart's Shops

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

Gary C. Dake

Pros
  • One of the major factors that sets Stewart's apart from other corporations is its employee profit-sharing program (in 8 reviews)

• Great products like milk, coffee, and ice cream coming from local sources and produced locally (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary not equal to the amount of work demanded of the employees (in 4 reviews)

• Responsible for drive offs, shortages in drawers, doing daily audits, orders and so much more (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, a lot of work.

Current Employee - Partner in Plattsburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Partner in Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company with competitive pay
    Fun work environment
    Chance for advancement

Cons

Very fast-paced
    A lot of work

Too much inconsistency to keep me around!

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ESOP Program is hard to beat if you're willing to stick around for a few years.

If your manager likes you, there is sometimes a monthly bonus. (The bonus is based on a percentage of your shop's overall growth and the manager decides what percentage each partner receives).

I have never had an issue with receiving time off.

Most of my customers have been a joy getting to know over the years.

It was easy to receive benefit time.

Cons

I didn't have any major issues with the company until recently. In my shop specifically, we have had several new managers since I've first started working there in 2011. This creates a lot of change all of the time which makes it very difficult to grow as a partner. Past managers have offered me leadership roles while our new manager is not interested in allowing this. For the past three years I have worked there, there has been little to no consistency.

In the shop, you have a considerable amount of responsibility. You are responsible for taking care of customers, stocking the entire store, watching the pumps for drive offs, and managing the money while you are on shift. If any of these things are not perfect when you leave, you will be held responsible.

There pay is not equal to the amount of work you do. The company recently bumped starting pay to $9.50, however, those who were at $9.50 did not receive a bigger raise. Even though I have worked for the company for three years, our six new partners make only $.25 less then I do. I have many more responsibilities then new partners and I should be compensated as such.

There have been many nights where I was unable to take a break. Particularly in the summer when we have customers coming in non-stop. When I've brought this up to our district manager, he simply says "you need to make time". Just yesterday I came in to find my manager and a new partner working. The new partner told me he had felt ill all day. I asked if he had taken a break and he told me he hadn't but he was leaving within the hour. The manager makes people feel uncomfortable when they ask if they can take a break because she has to stop what she's doing to allow this.

New managers lack the ability to train new people. Instead of taking the time to show new partners how things are done, our manager quickly describes what they need to do (without showing them) and then becomes frustrated when they complete the task incorrectly. Senior partners then have to take the time to demonstrate what they are supposed to do.

Please please take the time to see what actually goes on in your shops. From my perspective, partner's concerns are not appreciated which makes speaking out much more difficult.

Watch your managers and really see what they are doing to your best partners. If the shop moral is low, there is a reason. People get fed up when they feel that they're not being heard. Take the time to talk to partners. Hear their concerns, and try to do something to improve the work environment.

my horrible experience

I worked at Stewart's Shops

Pros

commision were alright i guess

Cons

SUCKS horrible place horrrible horrible horrrible

awful

Former Employee - Shop Partner in Ilion, NY
    Former Employee - Shop Partner in Ilion, NY

I worked at Stewart's Shops part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Commission on weekly sales gives you a monthly bonus, can eventually move up in company if you have been brainwashed enough

Cons

Management was awful, company micromanages everything, worst experience of my life

No respect for "partners".

Stuck in the Stone Age

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time

Pros

Most beneficial for low level long tenured jobs, good people working in factory and warehouse

Cons

Frustrating using ancient technology, working 15 years in the past, poor leadership afraid of change

Don't resist change

Great Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The profit sharing program is second to none. Professional personnel to work with.

Cons

Retail business. So open 365 days a year. Vacation time is 1 week after a year working to 3 weeks at 10 years.

Better pay for junior people and less top heavy.

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - President in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - President in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stewart's is vertically integrated and financially strong. Employees work hard, but are rewarded accordingly. If you fit the company, there's probably a job that fits you and your schedule.

Cons

The small teams involved means everyone works hard and must be able to be candid with one another - and receive candor. There are few specialists and if you can't handle multiple activities at once you will struggle.

It was decent

Current Employee - Store Manager in Wappingers Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wappingers Falls, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops full-time (more than a year)

Pros

was very informative with supports to keep the the business strong and how they order their products and have it delivered in a sufficient time zone two serve the community. The importance of treating the community with a welcoming environment is important so there is a valued feedback.

Cons

can be difficult if you don't have recent information. the job can long hours and can have cut backs if the store is doing lead than what they can make . This adds too the consistency of treating the customers happy and wanting to come back for another welcoming and friendly environment.

it was decent

Dont get stuck at this job.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Stewart's Shops part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ESOP, Incentive, good company to work for as a part time job.

Cons

Constantly busy, Never enough people to work because of the managers constantly cutting payroll. If you do well you will get a "lateral promotion" which means much more work for the same amount of pay. work constantly for 12+ hour shifts and am told i cant take a break.

treat you employes the way you would like to be treated. LET PEOPLE TAKE BREAKS!

Not worth it if you are military.

Former Employee - Everything in Lake Katrine, NY
    Former Employee - Everything in Lake Katrine, NY

I worked at Stewart's Shops part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are always busy. Always have something to do the pay is ok. Friendly customers. Great discounts if you shop there a lot

Cons

Discrimination against military and veterans. No breaks. Under staffed. Screw you over on hours

Stewart's Shops Photos