Stiles Machinery

Good learning environment

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Stiles Machinery

Pros

Team environment within all departments

Cons

Leadership tends to focus on sales and forgets all other department contributions

More involvement with all departments

Telemarketing was not for me

Former Employee - Sales Specialist Inside Sales in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist Inside Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Stiles Machinery full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Most of the people are very helpful but stretched real thin so you had to be very self motivated. Some departments there is a lot of teamwork but not in this one. Host good seminars for their employees. Lots of good on line education class. Their internal Education department is probably one of the best I have ever been involved with.

Cons

This position was oversold as a stepping stone that would lead to outside sales. This position is really just a telemarketing job. It was boring work. Most of the customers we called did not want to be called away from production to answer telemarketing calls. No real training system or growth plan in place. After the first couple of days you were thrown in the job. Management was never in the office so there was never a lot of direction but it was demanded to meet call quota.

Overselling a position will only lead to a dissatisfied employee. There needs to be a better hands on training program and more involved management system in place. Your online education is superior to any I have ever seen keep doing what your doing in that arena.

Talented employees that are Dedicated are the best asset this company has.

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stiles Machinery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best most talented people in the industry. Egos come along with the talent. If you thrive in a highly competitive environment and are willing to step on anyone to rise this place will work well for you. They didn't get the nickname The 1,000 pound Gorilla from not throwing their weight around.

Cons

Mangers think they are an elite group and work from a top down mentality. Silos with in most all departments. Minimal" true"customer focus. Mostly just focused on where they will get the next sale. Benefits are on the low end. No work life balance. Lack of a strong HR influence is prevalent in the company with little focus on development and retention.

Sincerity generally goes farther than lip service. If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk. Come of age with benefits. Develop your dedicated people instead of throwing big money at what appears to be the next best thing. Develop career next steps and goals for all levels of the company, even the janitor. Remove the puppet masters, with the hidden agendas that are not beneficial to the company. They are destroying the moral of the dedicated personnel with their bull in the china shop be thankful for your job mentality. Evaluate work loads and make everyone accountable for their productivity and goals, not just a random few.

Very stressful, and abandoned when there are situations or problems that need outside help.

Current Employee - Scheduling Coordinator in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Scheduling Coordinator in Irving, TX

I have been working at Stiles Machinery

Pros

On occasion there was kinmanship amongst co-workers when faced with adversity. We would make the best of adverse situations in our understaffed department.

Cons

Begging for help to the leaders in the company for specialized help in certain areas/departments and being laughed at openly when your technicians are in the field needing help!

Listening to your scheduling coordinators especially when they DO NOT have a service manager to run a region. Also not abandoning co-workers in the field by a laughing ego driven salesman and department head because they oversold a product they cannot live up to.

Great place to work, Great people, Great Company

I have been working at Stiles Machinery

Pros

I love Stiles machinery , i would do pretty much anything for anyone here , its a great place to work , we have been thru some rough times, and we are still shinning when others are still not even close to our team work and leadership in this industry

Cons

very understaffed at the moment, its hard to get everything completed in a timely manor , no raise in a few years , but understand why also , not so much a con, im glad and proud to work here , just times when we need additional people no one to help , people on vacation , people out sick this really puts a VERY heavy burden on the rest of the people .

Keep doing what your doing, we will come out of all this still on top , Thank you to you all , im proud and happy to be an employee here

Always interesting, never the same thing day to day.

Former Employee - Field Service Representative
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative

I worked at Stiles Machinery

Pros

If you don't live in a major city and like to travel, this is your job. They do their best to get you home over the weekend. If you need time off they understand and will do what they can to accomodate. You can use vacation or sick time in single day increments if you want. They supply most of the tools needed to do the job. Technical Support is top notch most of the time. Training is excellent when management actually sends you. Lots of overtime if you choose to pursue it.

Cons

If you have a family that you actually like to be with, or like to sleep in your own bed every night look elsewhere unless you live in a major city. If you're not flying, you're driving your own personal vehicle into the ground. Mountains of paperwork are a job requirement. Service and Sales not on the same page and rarely talk to each other on any level below management.

Follow through on your promises and commitments. When one of your FSRs wants training to become more useful to you, don't just promise it to them then lay them off.