Stinson Morrison Hecker

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014
3.4

Mark S. Foster

Good company with good core group of people

I have been working at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

Good company to work for, they treat their employees well. Salaries aren't great.

Cons

Too many individuals that don't have enough to do.

Cut back on those positions that aren't needed to keep costs down.

Its a great company if you don't want advancement

Current Employee - Legal Secretary
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary

I have been working at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

small raises every year; free monthly Staff lunches

Cons

No work life balance or paid maternity leave unless you're an Attorney

Let the HR Department do their jobs, they are there for a reason; and, stop letting the Partners make all the decisions...care more about your Staff

Excellent regional firm with national reach.

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

Work with skilled lawyers servicing sophisticated clients.

Cons

Multiple offices can make it difficult to have a steady flow of work within your practice area.

Too many issues being ignored

Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time

Pros

1. The staff and attorneys in general are all very nice. I worked at Stinson for more than 10 years and built some great friendships.

2. Some departments, like Accounting, were good at encouraging staff development and training.

3. The IT department provides great in-house training for staff and attorneys. I learned a lot from them over the years.

4. Nice environment.The interior spaces are being renovated even though they were nice as-is.

5. Attorneys and staff seem to really care about client success. Attorneys typically work well in a team environment.

Cons

1. My former boss was very caring in wanted her staff to succeed, grow, etc. My latest boss was more concerned with making himself look good and lost sight of the need for professional growth among our team. He encouraged professional development, but he didn't give you time to do it. Plus, he actually asked a staff person why she was even bothering with getting her MBA because he wasn't going to promote her. Very rude and demeaning.

2. We also had issues with some team members not having clear-cut job descriptions. This meant that some of us were doing the majority of work, while others were spending time traveling to meetings and creating more work for others. Of course, the planning/meeting people were paid about twice what the workers bees are paid. So that doesn't help the situation.

3. People were not replaced if they quit. It could take months to years to hire a new replacement that was perfect enough for the hiring manager. Sometimes, they didn't replace a staff member at all. They would just want the other team members to pick up the slack. I know this isn't abnormal, but it's very frustrating when it occurs so frequently.

4. Bonuses were given to attorneys and some staff, but not all. My department never gave out bonuses even though I felt like we deserved them. My boss told people that our department was OK, but no one went above and beyond their duties to get a bonus. Maybe that's because we were all so bogged down in work that we didn't have time to take on extra projects. Again, staff your department better so that they don't burn out.

The overall firm management is fine. I had no issues with them. My problem was with our hiring managers and some C-Suite execs. There were certain execs that only worked a few days a week while their small staff handled the majority of their work. Those staff eventually burned out and left. Even some of the new staff hires have recently left after figuring out what's going on. Firm Management needs to stop this from happening or certain departments will never be able to retain good staff because of their poor leadership.

Well Managed Law Firm

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management has strong leadership, has grown out of previously centralization, and has added a middle management layer that cuts across geographic boundaries and adds a horizontal management layer. Steady leadership avoided debt and managed the firm through the recession. Some genuine talent in financial transactions, commercial litigation, and energy.

Cons

Not every practice group has genuine depth; management was still growing into and maturing its new structure, and slow progress toward firm's strategic goals.

Accelerate your plans -- too slow to implement, make changes, and go in the direction you have selected. There will always be critics and negative opinions, but your direction has been selected, and you need to get there faster. Besides, it's a solid, reliable direction to go.

Micromanagement issues among both technology and legal staff led to disappointment and general dissatisfaction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stinson Morrison Hecker

Pros

Location is terrific, parking is good, generally professional environment. Many attorneys are great with people, and highly ethical in the handling of their cases. Some attorneys attempt to make staff feel included and a valued part of the business process. The firm is generous with time and financing provided to various charity organizations, and it provides entertaining diversions for staff from time to time. Paralegals and practice support staff seem to have greater job satisfaction when compared with secretaries and technology staff.

Cons

Some attorneys have very negative attitudes and people skills, which tends to demoralize the overall environment. These often receive little or no discipline, with HR consistently siding with attorneys rather than a willingness to remain unbiased. Technology department is focused on fire fighting rather than taking a proactive approach. This contributes toward poor project planning and the tendency to focus on finding blame and pointing fingers at staff when things go wrong, rather than accepting accountability squarely where it belongs - with the people who manage them. Be aware before accepting any position that all staff are monitored in the form of email surveillance, website tracking and even audio/video surveillance, some of which are located in sensitive areas. While I personally see no issue with workplace surveillance (particularly in a law firm), the conflict has more to do with lack of transparency and disclosure to potential staff members in this regard. This leads to the feeling that management may be willing to make compromises that cost much more than they ultimately gain for the firm. All members of the firm were officially told in memo form that no review on job sites such as this one should be made by anyone. Unbalanced workloads among support staff leads to what becomes a reward system for mediocre job performance. High performers receive extremely high workloads, while those who cannot - or who are unwilling to - perform get less to do and more time for play. Associates have very high hour requirements (typical of any large firm), and it is very difficult for them to make advancement, leading the majority to seek alternate employment within a few years rather than stick it out until an offer of partnership finally comes.

Cultivate greater transparency to staff. Full disclosure on surveillance methods should be made at the outset of employment. Implement a more balanced approach to HR issues that ensures less bias. Create a clearer system for making advancement and provide a better and more balanced system of checks and rewards concerning job performance. Involve the staff who will actually be utilizing software and hardware technology more interactively during the decision-making process.