Stockamp & Associates Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Stockamp & Associates CEO of Huron Consulting Group Inc. and Huron Consulting Services LLC James H. Roth
James H. Roth

Stockamp is a great place for career growth with the best corporate culture you could ask for.

Current Employee - Products Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Products Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

Stockamp is one of the best places for IT career growth. You learn about every aspect from server installation, software development, software deployment, to managing customer accounts. They do not hold anyone back from learning and advancing as fast as you can go. The corporate culture here is incredible. Everyone is very open and friendly. They are always wiilling to answer any questions and make sure you have a sound understating of what is going on before leaving you to finish. I would considering pretty much everyone I work with as good friends. The training that we receive to learn about the healthcare environment is very thorough. It is basically a 1 month crash course in healthcare and our tools that prepares you for your career very well. Management is very considerate of new ideas and tries to foster an environment to promote those ideas, even if you are a new hire fresh out of college. This has helped to give us a great work/life balance, making sure to go to the point of booting people out of the office if they are staying too late, too often.

Cons

Portland is an expensive place and it rains a lot.

Advice to Management

I would want Senior Management to continue to foster our open environment and keep reworking our compensation and benefits to stay on par with the rest of the country.

2. Stockamp - Field Consulting

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

The people at Stockamp are intelligent and ambitious. The young employees (analysts and new associates particularly) love the culture and generally have a lot of "fun" with their project teams.

Cons

Stockamp staffs its projects based on a "pyramid" model that is very Analyst-heavy (the average age of any given project team is 24-25 years old). Stockamp's internal focus is on developing team members under you, which is GREAT for Analysts but makes running a project very difficult because lack of experience at all levels hinders the actual implementation. On my current project we have so little experience that the managers spend all of their time developing the Associates' project management and coaching skills so they, in turn, can develop the Analysts. Also, Stockamp promotes individuals based on "time in grade", meaning an Analyst who has 3 years with the company almost always gets promoted to the next level, even if he/she lacks the fundamental competencies required to perform as an Associate.

Advice to Management

Promote individuals when they are ready to perform at the next level!

3. Great place to work in honesty is not your first priority

Former Employee - Product Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Product Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

They take you straight out of college and put a LOT of effort into training you on both technical skills and the healthcare industry. Healthcare is a great industry to be in. Stockamp's benefits were incredible and the pay was very competitive. They actively recruit top-notch people and it really shows, you will work with some VERY SMART people. Based on the skills and experience I gained at Stockamp and got a much better job.

Cons

I saw many instances of dishonesty from supervisors and associates. The top management seems pretty honest but the middle to lower managers can get away with murder as top brass will always believe them over a lowly employee. I was persecuted for 3 months before they finally fired me. Their reason for firing me was that there was insufficient work, which was a lie. I didn't have the energy to pursue a wrongful dismissal lawsuit, but I had grounds for one. As far as I can tell the only thing I did wrong was not suck up to supervisor or manager on a regular basis. Once you are labeled as a "problem" or "underperforming" employee, start looking for a new job. I was berated for working too little (40-45 hours per week) and then berated again for working too much (50-55 hours per week. I discovered that employees on my team regularly underreported their billable hours to avoid the wrath of our manager. I know that this behavior was not found in all teams, but it sure was a problem on mine. If you're going to work for these guys, make sure you get in VERY good with your supervisor and manager or you may find yourself out of a job. Oh and lie if necessary (something I couldn't bring myself to do, so they fired me).

Advice to Management

Manage your managers and supervising associates. Guess what? Everyone underreports their billable time so as to stay in your good graces... and they fire people who are "too honest". Your HR department was a joke during my performance review, I had to go find them. Even when I did speak with them they seemed afraid of me. Make managers provide a real reason for firing someone, you just smiled and nodded when I was railroaded out the door by my manager and supervising associate.

5. Conservative Clique

Current Employee - Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

The new hire training program is intense. Not only do they give you a crash course in hospital administration and the healthcare industry, but they also develop your consulting and professional skills. By the time you join a project team and begin interacting with clients, you walk and talk as if you've been doing this for years.

Cons

Stockamp recruiters claim that their consultants come from a wide range of backgrounds, implying that the company has a diverse workforce. From what I've seen, I have doubts. There is only one female MD, and the highest ranking African-American is an Associate. The company culture is also very conservative. Consultants rigidly adhere to methodology and risk-taking is frowned up. Project roles appear to be arbitrarily assigned, with little consideration for the employee's preferences or career progression. The promotion process is not very transparent.

Advice to Management

There's a feeling that project management withholds information unnecessarily. Be open and honest about things like role assignments, career progression, company updates, and industry developments.

Great place to get your feet wet.

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

Stockamp is a great place to learn about the business of healthcare. Their initial training is very informative, but it can be a little repetitive and dumb downed for those who came in with a graduate degree or with outside training in the healthcare arena. The teams which are created tend to have really dedicated staff. There is great comradery amongst the associates on the team, who really drive the project results. They do try to have yearly conferences within the company, which is very nice, but it is very hard to go to any professional conferences and develop in other areas within the industry.

Cons

This is not a place where growing is done easily. There is a lack of trust in some levels of employees. Although a lot of the associates are coming right out of college and may need some finessing in creating consultant powerhouses, some of us do have work experience and higher levels of education and don't need the hand holding that was automatically given. Work life balance didn't really happen at all levels or times, which is disheartening. For those who are younger in the workforce, I think a work hard, play hard attitude can be embraced, but only if the play hard portion is allowed.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing employees and letting them take on "stretch" assignments

7. Best Healthcare Consulting Company for New Graduates

I have been working at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

Great place to get consulting experience straight out of college. A lot of focus is placed on developing new employees. The people in the company are smart, ambitious, and fun. There is a very strong company culture.

Cons

Career progression is very time in grade focused. There is some flexibility with this; however it doesn't vary too much from the company line of 2-3 years before promotion at each level.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain high standards in hiring and employee retention policies. After the aquisition by Huron, a lot of Huron employees were transitioned into Stockamp seemingly bypassing the typical rigorous hiring process.

8. Good place for a first job

I have been working at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

Client Interaction from day 1 Good compensation

Cons

Travel - 100% Worn out quickly from long hours paired with travel

Advice to Management

More transparency on how jobs are staffed

Overall a good place to start

I have been working at Stockamp & Associates

Pros

(1) Career Progression - If you're lucky enough to work with the right people, you have the opportunity to self-direct your career. Personally, I have had the honor of working with some very talented management that went above and beyond with mentoring and providing me with opportunities for career progression to put me on the trajectory that I wanted. To maintain a steep trajectory and continue to challenge myself with "stretch roles", I would say that most of the managers in the company would support me in continuing along that vein. Some managers are definitely better at development and others. Also the skillset that consultants have the opportunity to develop is very broad in breadth. It definitely translates well to other fields and positions. There is a culture on most project teams of deliberately focusing on development and providing frequent feedback--mostly downward, but upwards as well if you're working with the right folks. (2) Coworkers - There are very few people I have not enjoyed working with at Stockamp. When it comes down to the day to day grind, there are very smart, interesting, and humble people that have made this job pleasant and worth the weekly travel. I have definitely been able to make and maintain connections and friendships that I will carry with me throughout life. (3) Company Culture - Humility is a very important characteristic Stockamp looks for in recruiting. It has made for both very positive client relationships and great project team dynamics. At the lower levels, we usually position team organizational structure so that people are not competing directly with each other and incentives for collaboration are aligned. There is also an emphatic and sincere culture of giving and charitable acts. (4) Intellectually Engaging - There are opportunities from a brand new analyst on upward to get involved with both practical and abstract problem solving both on a team wide and a company wide level. Stockamp has a pretty dynamic internal organization structure for honing its methodology in particular. It has consistent processes in place to ensure that it continues to evolve with best practice and continues to be #1 in Revenue Cycle consulting as it incorporates both experience and the newest innovations into its practices.

Cons

(1) Pay - While the benefits are quite good, the pay is not as competitive as with other consulting firms or with other healthcare firms. In fact, I would say it is definitely on the lower end of the type of work we do. As you get successively higher to manager and above, that different begins to flatten out, however the pay is low where the workload is heaviest. (2) Variation in Management - As with any job, some managers are not as good as others. Because we have a project-based work cycle, you can end up working with managers who will still get the job done, but may not perform as well or as highly as others in the company. There's not a whole lot of room to do anything but deal with this and if its a long project, you have to deal for a longer period of time. (3) Drink the Koolaid - There is definitely a cult-like aspect to the company culture. For experienced hires, it can be very difficult to get acclimated to the tight-knit culture. Although Stockamp is now part of Huron, it still retains alot of the same cultural aspects of when it was a smaller, boutique consulting firm. If you are not willing to engage in the level of enthusiasm as those around you, and you don't like to socialize with your team members outside of work, you will likely end up feeling some degree of alienation. Also, the diversity in Stockamp's workforce is a little lacking--it has definitely improved recently, but is still far from what it needs to be (4) Hours - There are two aspects to managing workload #1 how you manage your workload and #2 how your manager expects you to manage it. Even if you achieve #1 to your own satisfaction, #2 can definitely mean the expectations are that you work many long hours. About 60% of the managers in the company will mostly just rely on #1 as long as outputs are excellent, while the other 40% care about seeing the people "work hard" (i.e. work long hours). They are the minority, but a couple of managers definitely like to "load up" analysts just to humble them and force them to learn to manage workload...even if the work is not necessarily the most value added. While this is a minority, it still occurs. (5) A whole lot of traveling. Between 80% and 100% depending on the point in the project cycle.

Advice to Management

(1) Increase pay to be more competitive (2) Institute more formal structure around 360 degree feedback (3) Company culture has evolved for the most part away from extremely long hours. It's definitely not worth the pay to work 70+ or 80+ hours per week so management must continue to focus on (1) avoiding such expectations and (2) ensuring the all projects are staffed appropriately so those hours don't become a necessity for project success

RSS Feed </> Embed