Stoel Rives Reviews

16 reviews filtered by
4.0
Robert D. Van Broklin

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Stoel Rives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, a good work environment, free soda/coffee, sometimes a raffle for Moda Center box seats, most people have been in their positions 5+ years some 30+, really a great place.

Cons

Limited raises make it hard not to look for greener pastures. While I haven't found any greener ones they are definitely getting fertilized elsewhere.

2. Innovative marketing and business development professionals - look elsewhere

I worked at Stoel Rives

Pros

Stoel provided the opportunity to take on projects that weren't in the job description. If something interested you and it could benefit the law firm, it was supported.

Cons

One major downfall is the lack of confidence and innovation from attorneys. Although a "staff member" was able to explore new ideas, etc. it was very unlikely that an attorney would engage in this information.

To all attorneys. If you are going to continue to have business development and marketing department, its best to listen to their advice - particularly because they are the experts in the field.

Rules of Engagement Apply

I have been working at Stoel Rives

Pros

The majority of the lawyers are truly fine people and brilliant lawyers. I feel fortunate to work with such an intelligent and hardworking group. The firm is small, which is nice. You get to work with a lot of different people. The clients are absolutely amazing and make coming to work every day worthwhile.

Cons

Ten people (or so) make all of the money. All management decisions revolve around this dependency and are aligned with it. This alignment sometimes because misaligned especially when it comes to decisions regarding the administrative staff. The staff are often paid lip-service or left hanging when important decisions need to be made. If the decisions involve staff and money, it can be like pulling teeth to push something forward. It can be very frustrating.

Listen to your staff. We are here to help you and make your jobs easier, as well as make the clients happier and more satisfied.

5. Wonderful place to work

I have been working at Stoel Rives

Pros

Great benefits. People who get it.

Cons

There is a low ceiling in some departments

6. Robust Benefits; Poor Food Chain

Former Employee - Administration in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Administration in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Stoel Rives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit package is really great, and for an LLP they offer a great administrative structure. Although sometimes weak, frequent attempts are made by leaders to motivate and engage the staff. There is a lot of opportunity in some positions, others are likely "for life." This is great for people who want to do the same job for years and years but if you want to move up in the ranks, go to law school. The talent is amazing, and the associates and partners are the best of the best. With that comes high standards, and that means you work hard.

Cons

Like most law firms, it is about the attorneys, as it should be. But without those 2 letters behind your name, there won't be much respect given. I think this is a common attitude in law firms, but if you're not billing hours, you're not really that important.

Be more open with the staff of what is happening and handle abrupt policy changes with more finesse.

7. Excellent training for junior attorneys.

Current Employee - Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Stoel Rives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, flexibility, training, diverse client base of small and large companies, excellent regional reputation.

Cons

Top heavy management, limited collaboration across offices, high turnover in professional staff tasked with attorney development.

Toxic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Stoel Rives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money, free bus ride, view.

Cons

It is a very exclusive, toxic work environment. Attorneys and management looking for any way to buy their beach house. Department meetings are nothing but a forum for the partners to stretch their egos. If their clients knew what went on, they would take their business elsewhere. Absolutely no chance to succeed.

Hold your partners to the same standards as your staff, i.e. Member of the human race.

Good People

I have been working at Stoel Rives full-time

Pros

Quality colleagues and interesting work

Cons

Leadership is not very transparent

Okay Place to Work

I worked at Stoel Rives

Pros

Bright who care about the environment.

Cons

The business model of the partnership needs more thoughtful consideration when making decisions that affect the firm.

Be more honest.

Great people, great challenges, freedom to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Stoel Rives full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work. Management has afforded me the opportunity to make my own path. I work with intelligent people who have the same drive and direction as me.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Upper management does a great job looking out for the individual. They work hard to make sure each person is treated with respect. The work/life balance is fantastic.