Stone Belt Reviews

1 Rating

Great place to work

Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Stone Belt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stone Belt does a fantastic job caring for its consumers -- the individuals that you'll work with are spectacular and there are many, many dedicated employees. It's a terrific organization, and the clinical team is second to none.

Cons

Just like any not-for-profit, there are budget constraints, and you'll work with amazing folks and people who are there for a paycheck. But compared to most residential providers, Stone Belt has their act together.

A great mission, but too many punitive actions!

Current Employee - Food Management and Purchasing Specialist in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Food Management and Purchasing Specialist in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Stone Belt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LOVED working with the developmental disability community. I personally liked most of my peers and supervisors.

Cons

I felt that management was too much in the mindset of "punishing" staff. We were taught to "make a teachable moment" when working with consumers, but every staff mistake was met with a punitive action.

BE more proactive with staff help them learn how to do their job better rather than tell them how bad they are when they make a mistake.

A snapshot of Stone Belt

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Stone Belt full-time

Pros

There are lots of good people at the ground level who really care about doing their jobs well.

Rewarding work.

Cons

Direct Support Professionals are treated by management as unintelligent and replaceable.

Direct care is a stressful job that not everyone is cut out for.

Low wages.

Also, paperwork.

Stop being so obsessed with quantity and indifferent to quality of programming.

DSPs don't need to be told what to teach; they need training on how to teach.

Don't invest so much in new hires; put that money into those who have stayed with the company--train them better, and pay them better.

Enriching. Good people everywhere.

I worked at Stone Belt full-time

Pros

Every day I find myself thinking of someone I used to work with. They were all co-people to me.

Cons

Can be overwhelming in the moment on a certain day. But hey, at least it's not every day.