StoneMor

StoneMor Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Lawrence Miller

Wow Really!

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Charleston, WV

ProsVery good pay scale for earnings off commission if you are at a decent park.

ConsVery unmotivating conference calls two or three times a week. Trying to motivate by telling you that they will replace you just doesnt work. This company installs vaults in their cemeteries before the family needs it, the problem with this is that the vaults probably wont be any good by the time the family needs it, secondly there wont be any money in trust to replace it if under new ownership. The upper management expects you to turn around a cemetery in a matter of weeks that has been struggling for years. Just bad business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to the changes taking place in the marketplace, open the doors to cremation products. Offer packages for cremation and promote it. If not just continue to rape and pillage your files and keep your eyes shut to what really is going on. And I was just replaced after 6 weeks, the first month we struggled but were over pace for the month and I had written more than half the budget personally. so you made a huge mistake by replacing me with a former manager that was getting ready to be fired at another cemetery outside the company for not selling. But I guess he was friends with the regional boss. So I will tell you that I will make sure that the very few excellent counselors that here in this market stay far away from any stonemor properties.

Lies, betrayal, evil, greed, clueless, thieves. Pretty much sums up the upper management.

Grounds Crew (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work outdoors.

ConsThey lie to you from the start. Never trust them! The pre-installs are a joke. Once you see one opened up you'll understand. They will give you any excuse they can to not give you a pay raise and they'll raise your insurance. If your in sales they'll give you 3 chances to make your quota. If you don't then you're gone. Oh and no overtime pay. Even though they charge the families. They put making money in front of servicing the families. Most management would not be considered for part time seasonal workers in my book. If the share holders knew what current and former employees knew they would drop their stock ASAP.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your company. You couldn't make it as Loewen group and now you're doing pre-installs that are illegal. Well, maybe their legal in some states but I bet the state leaders have never seen one done. Learn how to treat your employees with respect and dignity. Quit thinking you're Gods.

Discriminatory, Unfair, and they don't care about you or the families

Family Service Counselor (Former Employee)

Prosabsolutely none. The atmosphere was predatory, there are little chance of making money because if you don't make quota one week, you are sent outside to greet customers for the next week ( punishment) Discrimination is not handled at all. Old timers get all the leads and they get the numbers. Unprofessional management with no education at all. Who can survive on $200.00 a week and they don't want you there anyway. Its all preneed and in my cemetery, graves were $23,000. In this economy? So overpriced it is insane. NO training. You cannot be an empathetic human and work here.

ConsAll of the above because there are no positives . If you are nice- stay away. All they want are numbers and they prey on the elderly to the point of harrassment. It was a hellacious experience working with monsters.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what you are doing and who you are hiring. Maybe these are the kind of people you want. If so, then you will retain the reputation that cemetery people are snakes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

eye opening

Family Service Counselor (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

Prosevery week you get paid either minium pay or commision which ever is the greatest.

Consmanagers that aren't fair, steal leads, you can only turn in 40 hours a week even though you work more like 50-60 7 days a week, if you turn in more than 40 you will be written up. constant threats of losing your job, if you dont produce 16000. a month, every month. this company pays the lowest commisions of any in this area, and there are quite a few. bad behavior is from managers are praised and promoted with this company.

Advice to Senior Managementplease are the conference calls that degrade you really needed.

Steer clear empty promises

Employee (Current Employee)
    South Bend, IN

ProsCan write your own paycheck is you can keep your manager or other sales rep. from stealing your customers from underneath you.
    It is true the best sales people do not necessitate being the best managers.

ConsUse of threats as motivation coming from VP down to local level management.
    Team work is non-existent. Encourage pushy sales and praying on the grief of the families, use of guilt and shame are common techniques. If you are willing to put aside integrity and ethics it would be a great place to work. New acquisitions only concern, not supporting staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn management techniques. Remember that people have lives away from work, its not about working 7 days a week,
    Advise to board of directors: reinvest in what you already have, the administrative staff, grounds staff, grounds maintenance, fairer commissions.

Horrible place to work

Sales Counselor (Former Employee)
    Osceola, IN

ProsIt is great being able to help those through the grieving process. Most of the staff is pleasant to work with.

ConsImpossible making sales when the manager doesn't rotate the sales in a fair manner. They were not upfront about the expectations, in which, those seem to change from day to day. There is no "open door" policy, as others who have complained about this cemetary have been fired. There is so much discourse and mania in this office it makes it impossible to fulfill planned tasks.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to hire more competant management

My experience so far at StoneMor has been frustrating, sometimes horrific, and not at all what I thought it would be.

"Family Service Counselor" AKA Sales (Current Employee)

ProsThere is some flexibility to this job, as long as the numbers are met, and at the very least has been interesting on many levels.

ConsThe company is less about the families we are servicing and more about meeting numbers. Issues needing to be resolved are put on the back burner as selling pre-need is "more important" - according to management. There are Counselors who are family oriented and genuinely care about helping those who are grieving to make wise decisions, however most of them quit or are terminated for not being aggressive pre-need sales people. A Family Service Counselor wage is minimum wage OR commission - whichever is higher (and in most cases it's minimum wage).

Advice to Senior ManagementThough I understand StoneMor is a business and money needs to be made, the first priority should always be the families you serve. Numbers are important, but at what sacrifice. I have heard more complaints from families than praise, and you are losing the good counselors...

A company where people are posted in high level jobs for which they donot possess the right background or qualifications

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
    Levittown, PA

ProsGrowth Potential in the company

ConsA very depressing industry overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct aptitude tests and place the RIGHT people at the RIGHT place

Sales and dipping into trust funds are the only focus

ProsI enjoy working at the cemetery where I am. I feel it is a really important and meaningful job to take care of families and their loved ones. I just don't respect the corporation that manages it.

Good health insurance for full time employees

ConsThe corporation only cares about their stock holders. No raises for field employees for 2014. Even costs of living raises were not given for 2014 even though the company was profitable in 2013.

Improvement requests for our cemetery are ignored. We have to beg for any major improvements that must be done. Those requests are usually not acknowledged.

Grounds crews are only paid a bit above minimum wage for their caring and hard work.

No sick or bereavement pay for sales reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional Sales Managers need to be more motivational not threatienng.
    Corp needs to improve the properties and not just strip them of their assets.
    Let Family Service Advisers have Sundays off to spend time with their families.

High Pressure Sales Tactics

Sales Counselor (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsGet to meet people and sometimes help people

ConsHigh pressure sales, like selling a time share.
    Telemarketing on the phone lying to people (many seniors) to pressure them to buy overpriced products.
    Minimal Wage / Unfair commission structure
    Work every day

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and stop selling like a carney side show

Worked for StoneMor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at StoneMor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for StoneMor CEO Lawrence Miller. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by StoneMor employees.