StoneMor
www.stonemor.com Levittown, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

StoneMor Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Lawrence Miller

30 years in the Cemetery Industry and by far the best corporation I've been a part of.

Area Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreatest ensemble of people/professionals. A true sales organization from top to bottom! Direct supervisor the best in the industry ! Input / ideas are not only accepted but encouraged!

ConsNone really, just the continuing drive to increase the growth of the organization. A couple of minor changes to the benefit plan could be addressed even though it is currently a very good program.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you've been doing ! Reach out to "the people in the field" for an even better pulse of the marketplace. The innovation shown by new leadership is greatly desired as well as needed. Communication via technology is in process and couldn't come any sooner. Growth through acquisitions is progressing nicely, is always welcome and presents greater opportunities . Promotion from within the Company is the rule and appreciated!

Nice commissions, and great people

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Hurricane, WV

ProsPaychecks always on time. Nice commissions.

ConsHard to speak to management on needs of Cemetary

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to listen to those that work for you on a daily basis.

So Sad That Our World Allows This Company To Do Business

Family Service Counselor (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsI love being there for the families, a good counselor is the best treatment received by a family. Working with the Funeral Homes, although most talk about the cemetery behind our backs.

ConsAs an employee, it is a disheartening challenge day to day and hour by hour. Over the past 2 years I have seen 32 employees turn over and have had 6 Managers. Only one regional Manager! Thant position never changes? I have never been insulted on a regular basis nor have I worked so hard for NO reward or pay. Seriously harassed, not paid for hours worked and regular threats by the public that are so upset by lies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI pray that the Labor Board rips into this company with the KARMA it deserves. I fear for the staff in our cemetery due to broken promises and not providing what has been paid for. I have been cussed, swung at, threatened, blogged and almost ran over with NO support of Management. It is time for employees to come together and give this company what they have given families for years. A nightmare!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stonemor is a money centric, low tech, abusive company. I have never experienced its equal.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAt the location level you may have good people to work with. Good Quota compensation if you were allowed to work it correctly without all of the imposed discounting to cheapen your relationship/trust and offering value.

ConsDoor to door and phone sales with a one sit close unless we see a widow after she looses her husband, then sell her. Good commissions are reduced by high discounts and sales tactics. Used car sales feeling. Offer discounted land to secure future business (lower commissions) then get full package with the vault sale ,Stonemor owns the vault company. There are no computers for individuals, sparce training programs and policies go mostly unlearned due to poor upper management. constant verbal abuse towards the sales managers on a daily basis The Sales Managers work 7 days a week and evenings and the sales staff the same, unless under quota- then they cannot work overtime to GET to quota. In my opinion, Old boy mentality. Hard core sales to everyone to get numbers, including poor and weak. When i told management that an appointment lived in a shack (really, they had holes in the house) he said "They have money for this" Hire-on promises were broken. With 15 years as a successful Sales manager and 7 in the industry, this is not an uneducated appraisal. No I was not fired. I left willingly, gratefully. No exit interview from corporate was asked of me, to let them know why i was leaving. This is for anyone who is considering employment in any capacity.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a corporate investigator to resolve your upper management problems, to avoid seeing individual and/or group legal action. There are texts and documents that usually exist as supporting documents, even if you do not supply computers to your management. Todays climate does not tolerate this type of behavior and negligence. Take a good look at the leader in the industry and try to understand how its done or sell out to them quickly. An exit interview may be in your best interest.

The company only cares about money, not employees or customers

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt is better than unemployment, JUST BARELY!

ConsThey want you to work like a dog for very little pay or support. customers and staff come in a distant second place to the money. NO support from home office. If you want to advertise you end up paying for it yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st century. calling old files (that have been called 50 times before) to try and get sales is sooooo out of date, classless and rude. Very poor pay for NO company support

Opportunity knocks simply open the door~

Family Service Counselor (Current Employee)
    Lafayette, CA

ProsIt's a very rewarding feeling helping families make one of their biggest decisions in life. Most importantly educating families so they can make a soundly decision. Plus my peers are the most passionate people with a great positive vibe spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Not to mention the financial rewards are endless with great growth opportunities.

ConsThe data access is still in the stone age using a file system and at times data is redundant in different locations. Having a CRM system in place will increase productivity much more and it will centralize all the data with up to date information. It would also be more professional to have a company email address opposed to using a free email address such as Yahoo or Google. This reflects our outlook working with families based on our email contact. Lastly it would be nice if the company provided the computer workstation to have the tools for the representative to organize, manage, and communicate with their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have a lot of great ideas especially ways to separate ourselves from our competitors. Being innovative will allow Stonemor to become the leaders of the industry as others will follow. Integrating technology will be key as there's innovative options to create new revenue streams for the company. Also taking a closer look with our current structure with in each location as there's many ways to improve upon them that will be a direct correlations in increasing productivity that will result in exceeding our profit margins.

A real opportunity if you're willing to seize it!!!

Sales Counselor (Current Employee)
    South Bend, IN

ProsYou actually have the ability to earn 6 figures if you have the drive and able to work smart. This performance based sales position will absolutely pay you what you're worth!! This company is very aggressive and focused on acquisitions. Many opportunities!!!

ConsWinter sales may require extra effort but the net outcome is always controlled by the individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course

Sales and dipping into trust funds are the only focus

ProsI enjoy working at the cemetery where I am. I feel it is a really important and meaningful job to take care of families and their loved ones. I just don't respect the corporation that manages it.

Good health insurance for full time employees

ConsThe corporation only cares about their stock holders. No raises for field employees for 2014. Even costs of living raises were not given for 2014 even though the company was profitable in 2013.

Improvement requests for our cemetery are ignored. We have to beg for any major improvements that must be done. Those requests are usually not acknowledged.

Grounds crews are only paid a bit above minimum wage for their caring and hard work.

No sick or bereavement pay for sales reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional Sales Managers need to be more motivational not threatienng.
    Corp needs to improve the properties and not just strip them of their assets.
    Let Family Service Advisers have Sundays off to spend time with their families.

High Pressure Sales Tactics

Sales Counselor (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsGet to meet people and sometimes help people

ConsHigh pressure sales, like selling a time share.
    Telemarketing on the phone lying to people (many seniors) to pressure them to buy overpriced products.
    Minimal Wage / Unfair commission structure
    Work every day

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and stop selling like a carney side show

Great Place to Work? Great Work-life Balance!

ProsOpenness to sharing new ideas, Ability to be a part of the solution, Ability to get involved in many different areas, they promote from within, Excellent Benefits and Compensation. When I came to StoneMor, I was on the 5 year plan and I've been commuting an hour each way for 13+ years now and continue to enjoy it.

ConsSometimes it can be stressful but that is every company. Most of the time the work is rewarding. I believe for the most part, employees at StoneMor are happy with their careers and with what StoneMor has to offer.

Worked for StoneMor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at StoneMor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for StoneMor CEO Lawrence Miller. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by StoneMor employees.