StoneMor Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Lawrence Miller

Pros
  • Helping people at the time of a death is very rewarding (in 6 reviews)

• It was nice to be able to help families with some of the most difficult decisions they will ever make in life (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management who is obsessed by getting numbers (in 7 reviews)

• always more than 40 hours, BUT that is what I signed up for (in 4 reviews)

1. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company enjoy helping people in there time of need. Great pay lots of good people work for company

Cons

every company has there issues.

Advice to Management

Need to invest more in fixing up the parks.

2. TRAINING

I have been working at StoneMor

Pros

I love what I do and this can be a very rewarding job especially when you know you have made an impact with a family.you can build relationships that will last a lifetime.The training has improved but needs changes.

Cons

Employees do not receive enough training,the training needs refocusing,a class on contracts only,a class on products only,a class on at need only etc.You should not have to PAY for your training,by this I mean with all your volume and one half (AT LEAST) of all your commissions.This not only happens during your so called training but for months after you have received your license.Then certain managers think you need retraining and the process of taking from you starts all over.There are occasions when schedules are lost or changed in order for managers and assistant managers to take deals away from other staff members This is Wrong.I feel as though they do not want to retain good employees ,they want a constant turn over,that way when they hire you ,you naturally want to help your friends and family,but when your personal leads have been raked over they pressure you so much that people quit.Then the process starts all over.This needs to change and it needs to change soon.

Advice to Management

I love my job and am here to stay,but please take to heart what I have stated,pay close attention to what the managers and assistant managers are doing to their staffs,you will then retain some very good employees.Please consider my suggestions about training spend less time motivating and more time on the important basics ,well trained and educated employees will be happier and the production will then naturally come into focus,

Run Away, Click off the Job Search Page, Don't Ever Submit Your Resume

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time to find another Job. There really is not any other Pros that I experienced during the time I was there.

Cons

I worked for Stonemor (as we call slavemor) for 9 months. Please read as this was the absolute worst job I have ever held. Lied to during the interview process was told that I would have to work one weekend a month and when I worked the weekend I would have 2 consecutive days off during the week to compensate. It turned out it is almost every Saturday and quite a few Sundays, not to mention almost every single holiday, with no extra days off during the week. The hours that you actually work to the hours they want you to work differ greatly. There is a reason why there have been multiple civil class action lawsuits against this company for loss of wages. There have been numerous time sheets that have been whited out and changed to lower the amount of hours an employee worked so they would not have to pay overtime (and yes I said whited out. The company still uses pen and paper for almost everything). It turns out that there is mandatory call nights twice a week at night and then Saturday morning for two hours every week. On top of all that once the warmer weather comes, you have to stay until 7:00pm on your desk/duty days. So you will never have a homelife as you are constantly working at a company that does not pay. Speaking of monetary compensation. Their pay structure is absolutely ridiculous. First it is a base or commission structure. Basically meaning if you have a slow week/month then you get paid a tiny base salary, but if you get some of the rare sales that come in you get paid the commission. The commission structure changes based on if it is an at-need (meaning the person has passed and the family is in need of the services) or a pre-need (meaning it is the person them selves making the arrangements prior to their passing). The commission percents also varies based on the item sold (for example: you get paid a different percentage if you sell a space vs a vault) So when you sell pre-need you receive commission on everything needed. If it is an at-need every item has a much lower commission payout and some items are completely removed (for example: the grave space commission is 15% lower). The companys reason for this is that there is no effort in generating this lead. What they fail to realize is that a lot more work is needed. They charge an astronomical amount per month as the employee portion for their awful insurance benefits. Also the insurance for some items are great however for others the coverage is terrible. For example the vision insurance didn't even cover 10% of the total bill. Almost all of the business that is performed still uses paper and carbon paper. The only part of the job that is fully computerized is email, and that is accessed by a single office computer, or you can bring in your own. There is immense favoritism by management and based on who you are the rules change. Additionally they are full of empty promises and tell you what they think you want to hear.

Advice to Management

Do not lie to your prospective employees, when you do hire someone make sure they are properly trained, take care of your employees by compensating them well, and upgrade to the 21st century and get computerized.

Stonemor

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are hiring now if you are looking

Cons

No communication. Pay is low for admins. Company is too hung up on hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Field office administrators are not trained properly and not informed when procedures change. Management never ask the actually people that deal with the families directly what they think about anything. They just send memos and telling you this is what we are doing now. They should talk to people on the frontline. There is a break down on communication chain. Maybe if they paid more they would get more experienced admin people who care instead of paper pushers that do not want to take personal responsibility.

Great company, need of a change of administrators or retraining them roush

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Culebra, PR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Culebra, PR

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

A great place to work, since you help families on a hard time, and its grateful. Nice bonus and commissions to sales person, on the sales managers need to work with the override since there are locations that their target to achieve an override it's almost the location quota.

Cons

The administration personal from top to bottom lost the focus that Stonemor is a sales business. Making every single sale almost impossible to close. Making every single customer having a hard time, everything is more work for them and the worst of all they don't even care about the job. They might try to say they care, but words are backed up by actions and if the top leaders visit any location and interview any sales person or manager, you will see it's true.

Advice to Management

Need to work with the administration team from the top to the bottom..., to let them know that their pay check come from the result of the sales. That if they don't care about sales, they are on the wrong job. Need more inventory and tools for sales person to increase sales, and stop adding more tasks to sales team, since you lose sales time. Remember that the time is gold $

Stonemor is bad to work for

Former Employee - Family Counselor in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Family Counselor in Dayton, OH

I worked at StoneMor

Pros

Quite a bit of freedom and chance to advance rapidly.

Cons

The reason you can advance quickly is no one stays around long including management. Pay is minimum wage unless you reach ypur sales goal which is impossible since they want their sales people to target lower income people. By lower income I mean less than around 18,000/year. They basically scare poor people into pre planning their burial.

Advice to Management

Better pay. Don't short employee checks or try to keep them from getting over time and realistic sales goals. Also don't steal all the leads from the home office for yourself because you can.

Overworked, underpaid, promised the world...

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Richmond, VA

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

95% of the other employees shared the same views ... we got okie dokied

Cons

work 70-80hrs a week to only get paid for 40. cold call twice a week are at the end of a normally long day

Advice to Management

obide by state compensation laws, hire more intelligent managers.

I have been working at StoneMor

Pros

You get to help family's and pray for them to receive comfort from the Holy Spirit! We get to actually show the families that we care and we love them.

Cons

We work 45 to 60 hours per week and only get paid 7.25 per hour. There is no overtime if you don't pitch the customer who just lost their loved one a marker or the space close to the family member you are looked down upon. There is very little compassion for the grieving.

Advice to Management

The families in our communities are tired of hearing people call from Forest Lawn gardens or Stonemor or anyone trying to sell them burial arrangements.

Family Service Counselor

Former Employee - Family Sales and Service Counselor in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Family Sales and Service Counselor in Burlington, NC

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me a true passion for the death industry! Gave me common sense about a company that is so un appreciative and cruel. Taught Me how to protect myself from never being taken advantage of by a company.

Cons

Management. Corporate. Working for free. Working for free with no paid time off nor holidays. Working hour after hour taking care of families (arrangement with funeral homes, meeting with families, ground verification, etc etc..; FOR FREE

Advice to Management

Management has no choice. The operating Officials should spend a day in an office. They should also experience a death. This industry has to change. I feel very sad for the communities that have to deal with the steady rule changes and never having a steady friendly face.

The company that belittles

Former Employee - Family Service Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Family Service Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping family's is the only part of Stonemor That is plausible.

Cons

Unethical handling on loved ones abuse of power from management . Worked 7 days a week made quota 32 out of 36 months yes I made good money but they always wanted more never happy. Reduced commissions three times raised the bar for bonus five times so you would only make commissions if you made their quota. Otherwise $10 an hour no overtime paid regardless that you work 60 hours.Funeral side think they can do anything to family's and because the family's are unaware of the rules or regs. Had family/ friends services before helping other family's changing other service time cost more overtime to family's. Up sold caskets and other services. Cemetery packages bronze markers with graves burial containers vaults at a savings, But if you wanted to buy separably was lower in cost. I seen out and thievery.

Advice to Management

. When you go to management all a sudden your numbers dry out you are forced out. Upper management you should ask the low brows that work for you what is truly going on maybe you would not have the turn over

RSS Feed </> Embed