StoneMor Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Lawrence Miller

Pros
  • Helping people at the time of a death is very rewarding (in 6 reviews)

• It was nice to be able to help families with some of the most difficult decisions they will ever make in life (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management who is obsessed by getting numbers (in 7 reviews)

• always more than 40 hours, BUT that is what I signed up for (in 4 reviews)

If you're a soulless monster, this is the job for you.

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

Of what little pros there are, the potential for financial success is there, as long as you are willing to forsake having a decent rapport with the community you work in. Beyond that, there are a few times that you will leave work knowing that you have actually helped a family plan for the worst day in their life.

Cons

I could go on for days here, but I'll keep it brief. Constant cold calling and prospecting, often to little or no avail. And since most people know who and where you are from, all you do is constantly annoy and anger the people of the community that you are attempting to service with a barrage of needless and irksome phone calls and sales pitches. You deal on a day to day basis with a management team that exhibits the epitome of selective hearing. Unless you are calling about a sales you have or are about to make, they could careless what you have to say. Seniority means nothing, whether you've been with them for a day or thirty years, if you're not selling, you are nothing to them. The overall gist is, if you are not constantly begging for money from people, whether they be existing customers or knew, you're not doing your job. Forget the legal aspects or customer service, for get actual caring for families who have lost loved ones and are grieving, they need stuff, and you had better sell it to them.

Advice to Management

Find some room for empathy in your ever expanding wallet, and perhaps bother to grow a brain. Your business model is based on outdated vacuum sales tactics that are to be expected on a car lot and not in a cemetery or a funeral home. Treat your sales and lower managers like people and employees, not sales monkeys to do your bidding. Its an interesting concept that top sales people have the highest customer complaints, well those in median and low sales have faithful families who will come back to them time and time again. But hey, who am I to judge, keep doing what you're doing. You might as well start holding raffles during burials, and serve beer and soda during funerals.

age discrimination, harrassment, hours not pd

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at StoneMor (More than a year)

Pros

working with prospective clients and at need families

Cons

There are numerous cons. More than can be said in a few words. There exists an atmosphere of harassment and discrimination. I have witnessed sales being stolen. wages and commissions are not paid as earned.

Advice to Management

unfortunately the entire culture has to change.

Management needs to be cleaned out

Former Employee - Family Service Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Family Service Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Helping family's so rewarding personally, money is wonderful the culture of the funerals is amazing to learn.

Cons

Management are so centered on their own areas that they do not place family's first. I have worked in the industry for 20 years. StoneMor is the worst thief of services over charging family's at time of need up selling family's. Stealing for their sales staff and treating employees poorly.

Advice to Management

Clean out our area managers in the funeral side of operations and support your employees your call your HR not force them out. Those employees are letting you know of major issues.

5. Don't believe the hype, RUN Away!!

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Phila, PA

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping people in mourning and assisting families in a time of need is always a pro. You might have this opportunity.

Cons

Sitting in a trailer 7 days a week, 2 mandatory evening call nights (don't dare go over 40 hours) cold calling Catholics who already have a negative opinion of your company, get uninspired direction from a non catholic sales manager with RBF. 19 people went thru "training " in class, maybe 2 sales people remain. The smart ones ran for the hills fast. You'll make more $ in less time at Walmart or Home Depot. Read every review and only believe those submitted from sale people.

Advice to Management

Less time memorizing a presentation and more time spent being honest about company expectations of each employee. Hire site sales managers who can actually manage and inspire a team to sell!

6. excellent place to work

Current Employee - Regional Trainer in Fort Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Regional Trainer in Fort Washington, PA

Pros

Company culture and environment is excellent. Excellent training and benefits. They care about your success and provide you the training and resources you need to succeed.

Cons

Hours may not suit everybody. You get what you put in you put in the time and effort you will be compensated well in the end

7. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company enjoy helping people in there time of need. Great pay lots of good people work for company

Cons

every company has there issues.

Advice to Management

Need to invest more in fixing up the parks.

Run Away, Click off the Job Search Page, Don't Ever Submit Your Resume

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time to find another Job. There really is not any other Pros that I experienced during the time I was there.

Cons

I worked for Stonemor (as we call slavemor) for 9 months. Please read as this was the absolute worst job I have ever held. Lied to during the interview process was told that I would have to work one weekend a month and when I worked the weekend I would have 2 consecutive days off during the week to compensate. It turned out it is almost every Saturday and quite a few Sundays, not to mention almost every single holiday, with no extra days off during the week. The hours that you actually work to the hours they want you to work differ greatly. There is a reason why there have been multiple civil class action lawsuits against this company for loss of wages. There have been numerous time sheets that have been whited out and changed to lower the amount of hours an employee worked so they would not have to pay overtime (and yes I said whited out. The company still uses pen and paper for almost everything). It turns out that there is mandatory call nights twice a week at night and then Saturday morning for two hours every week. On top of all that once the warmer weather comes, you have to stay until 7:00pm on your desk/duty days. So you will never have a homelife as you are constantly working at a company that does not pay. Speaking of monetary compensation. Their pay structure is absolutely ridiculous. First it is a base or commission structure. Basically meaning if you have a slow week/month then you get paid a tiny base salary, but if you get some of the rare sales that come in you get paid the commission. The commission structure changes based on if it is an at-need (meaning the person has passed and the family is in need of the services) or a pre-need (meaning it is the person them selves making the arrangements prior to their passing). The commission percents also varies based on the item sold (for example: you get paid a different percentage if you sell a space vs a vault) So when you sell pre-need you receive commission on everything needed. If it is an at-need every item has a much lower commission payout and some items are completely removed (for example: the grave space commission is 15% lower). The companys reason for this is that there is no effort in generating this lead. What they fail to realize is that a lot more work is needed. They charge an astronomical amount per month as the employee portion for their awful insurance benefits. Also the insurance for some items are great however for others the coverage is terrible. For example the vision insurance didn't even cover 10% of the total bill. Almost all of the business that is performed still uses paper and carbon paper. The only part of the job that is fully computerized is email, and that is accessed by a single office computer, or you can bring in your own. There is immense favoritism by management and based on who you are the rules change. Additionally they are full of empty promises and tell you what they think you want to hear.

Advice to Management

Do not lie to your prospective employees, when you do hire someone make sure they are properly trained, take care of your employees by compensating them well, and upgrade to the 21st century and get computerized.

Stonemor is bad to work for

Former Employee - Family Counselor in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Family Counselor in Dayton, OH

Pros

Quite a bit of freedom and chance to advance rapidly.

Cons

The reason you can advance quickly is no one stays around long including management. Pay is minimum wage unless you reach ypur sales goal which is impossible since they want their sales people to target lower income people. By lower income I mean less than around 18,000/year. They basically scare poor people into pre planning their burial.

Advice to Management

Better pay. Don't short employee checks or try to keep them from getting over time and realistic sales goals. Also don't steal all the leads from the home office for yourself because you can.

Overworked, underpaid, promised the world...

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Richmond, VA

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

95% of the other employees shared the same views ... we got okie dokied

Cons

work 70-80hrs a week to only get paid for 40. cold call twice a week are at the end of a normally long day

Advice to Management

obide by state compensation laws, hire more intelligent managers.

Pros

You get to help family's and pray for them to receive comfort from the Holy Spirit! We get to actually show the families that we care and we love them.

Cons

We work 45 to 60 hours per week and only get paid 7.25 per hour. There is no overtime if you don't pitch the customer who just lost their loved one a marker or the space close to the family member you are looked down upon. There is very little compassion for the grieving.

Advice to Management

The families in our communities are tired of hearing people call from Forest Lawn gardens or Stonemor or anyone trying to sell them burial arrangements.

RSS Feed </> Embed