StoneMor Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

2.9

Lawrence Miller

The worst two years of my life.

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at StoneMor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The clients and familes were great. I learned a lot about the funeral business and Kansas City History. The park was beautiful.

Cons

Too much paperwork...no computers. The sales team supported the office staff, management and grounds crew. You live your life there...no time off. Kept changing the commissions. Last year the office did not have heat or hot water for six months. Constant turnover and always understaffed. Never got leads and the training was less than sufficient. If you want to survive, you better learn it on your own. Benefits were less than stellar...paychecks were weekly but between benefits and taxes...there was nothing left over. No access to home office or HR. It was like I stepped back in time.

Get a manager that actually works...he was never there and would never address issues...always pass them off to the Office Manager and Family Service Counselor Supervior. He was never organized and never followed through.

Scam artists

Former Employee - Maintenance
    Former Employee - Maintenance

I worked at StoneMor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was alright. Other than that I can't figure out anything else that is good about the company.

Cons

They only view families as dollar signs. They treat their employees like dirt unless you're "in" with management. Upper management is inexperienced. The pre-installs are the biggest scam known to man. Their only interested in one thing. MONEY. I think it's sad that a company like this is still around. They also love to charge families overtime fees but the employees are told to take a day off.

Treat your families and employees with the respect they deserve. Your pre-install program is a joke. One day families will wise up to the lies you spin and you're going to have one heck of a law suit on your hands.

Family Service Counselor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Osceola, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Osceola, IN

I worked at StoneMor full-time for less than a year

Pros

There was nothing positive about how this location ran.

Cons

Horrible!!!! They are dishonest and lie to employees and to (families) customers!
    No manager, no district manager and not training!!!!

Restructure

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Sales Counselor  in  Sedalia, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Sedalia, MO

I worked at StoneMor as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There are absolutely no pros that I can think of

Cons

Training is non-existent, the pay is abysmal, management doesn't give a darn, constantly changing quotas, lack of support, office manager lied about salary/compensation. My two weeks of paid training was actually 12 total hours of training in 3 days and then I was thrown to the wolves basically and told to sell.

Start caring about your employees and the people they are trying to help. This is a job that's hard enough as is, but the ridiculous quotas you set, especially for the smaller cemeteries, is ridiculous especially with the lack of training you provide.

Wow Really!

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charleston, WV

I worked at StoneMor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good pay scale for earnings off commission if you are at a decent park.

Cons

Very unmotivating conference calls two or three times a week. Trying to motivate by telling you that they will replace you just doesnt work. This company installs vaults in their cemeteries before the family needs it, the problem with this is that the vaults probably wont be any good by the time the family needs it, secondly there wont be any money in trust to replace it if under new ownership. The upper management expects you to turn around a cemetery in a matter of weeks that has been struggling for years. Just bad business.

Be more open to the changes taking place in the marketplace, open the doors to cremation products. Offer packages for cremation and promote it. If not just continue to rape and pillage your files and keep your eyes shut to what really is going on. And I was just replaced after 6 weeks, the first month we struggled but were over pace for the month and I had written more than half the budget personally. so you made a huge mistake by replacing me with a former manager that was getting ready to be fired at another cemetery outside the company for not selling. But I guess he was friends with the regional boss. So I will tell you that I will make sure that the very few excellent counselors that here in this market stay far away from any stonemor properties.

Lies, betrayal, evil, greed, clueless, thieves. Pretty much sums up the upper management.

Former Employee - Grounds Crew
    Former Employee - Grounds Crew

I worked at StoneMor full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work outdoors.

Cons

They lie to you from the start. Never trust them! The pre-installs are a joke. Once you see one opened up you'll understand. They will give you any excuse they can to not give you a pay raise and they'll raise your insurance. If your in sales they'll give you 3 chances to make your quota. If you don't then you're gone. Oh and no overtime pay. Even though they charge the families. They put making money in front of servicing the families. Most management would not be considered for part time seasonal workers in my book. If the share holders knew what current and former employees knew they would drop their stock ASAP.

Sell your company. You couldn't make it as Loewen group and now you're doing pre-installs that are illegal. Well, maybe their legal in some states but I bet the state leaders have never seen one done. Learn how to treat your employees with respect and dignity. Quit thinking you're Gods.

Discriminatory, Unfair, and they don't care about you or the families

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at StoneMor full-time for less than a year

Pros

absolutely none. The atmosphere was predatory, there are little chance of making money because if you don't make quota one week, you are sent outside to greet customers for the next week ( punishment) Discrimination is not handled at all. Old timers get all the leads and they get the numbers. Unprofessional management with no education at all. Who can survive on $200.00 a week and they don't want you there anyway. Its all preneed and in my cemetery, graves were $23,000. In this economy? So overpriced it is insane. NO training. You cannot be an empathetic human and work here.

Cons

All of the above because there are no positives . If you are nice- stay away. All they want are numbers and they prey on the elderly to the point of harrassment. It was a hellacious experience working with monsters.

Know what you are doing and who you are hiring. Maybe these are the kind of people you want. If so, then you will retain the reputation that cemetery people are snakes.

eye opening

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Greenville, SC

I worked at StoneMor full-time for more than a year

Pros

every week you get paid either minium pay or commision which ever is the greatest.

Cons

managers that aren't fair, steal leads, you can only turn in 40 hours a week even though you work more like 50-60 7 days a week, if you turn in more than 40 you will be written up. constant threats of losing your job, if you dont produce 16000. a month, every month. this company pays the lowest commisions of any in this area, and there are quite a few. bad behavior is from managers are praised and promoted with this company.

please are the conference calls that degrade you really needed.

Steer clear empty promises

Current Employee - Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at StoneMor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can write your own paycheck is you can keep your manager or other sales rep. from stealing your customers from underneath you.
    It is true the best sales people do not necessitate being the best managers.

Cons

Use of threats as motivation coming from VP down to local level management.
    Team work is non-existent. Encourage pushy sales and praying on the grief of the families, use of guilt and shame are common techniques. If you are willing to put aside integrity and ethics it would be a great place to work. New acquisitions only concern, not supporting staffing.

Learn management techniques. Remember that people have lives away from work, its not about working 7 days a week,
    Advise to board of directors: reinvest in what you already have, the administrative staff, grounds staff, grounds maintenance, fairer commissions.

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales Counselor  in  Osceola, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Osceola, IN

I worked at StoneMor full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is great being able to help those through the grieving process. Most of the staff is pleasant to work with.

Cons

Impossible making sales when the manager doesn't rotate the sales in a fair manner. They were not upfront about the expectations, in which, those seem to change from day to day. There is no "open door" policy, as others who have complained about this cemetary have been fired. There is so much discourse and mania in this office it makes it impossible to fulfill planned tasks.

need to hire more competant management

Worked for StoneMor? Contribute to the Community!