StoneMor Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Don't waste your time

Pros

Traveling and meeting a variety of Families. Travel time also gets you out of the office

Cons

They require you to spend time going thru the file room pulling existing client files who haven't had all their pre-arrangements taken care of and have us calling these families trying to get into their homes to finish the upsell and so on.. Not very professional. They also request Family Advisors to "Prospect" on the cemetary property when family and friends are visiting their deceased loved ones to try to "Upsell" them as well. Very distasteful. Random door knocking is required as well.

Advice to Management

You really need to use different tactics of trying to "sell" or "upsell" people and families. Your ways are very disrespectful as well as distasteful

Treatment of Employees

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far the only pro is that the local people I work for are good, honest people.

Cons

I was lied to by management right from the beginning. Corporates only concern is the bottom line dollar amount taken in by cemetery. They treat their employees horribly. Corporate figures employees are a dime a dozen and could care less about them.

Advice to Management

The bottom line dollar is NOT the only thing that should be important in a company

The company only cares about money, not employees or customers

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is better than unemployment, JUST BARELY!

Cons

They want you to work like a dog for very little pay or support. customers and staff come in a distant second place to the money. NO support from home office. If you want to advertise you end up paying for it yourself.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century. calling old files (that have been called 50 times before) to try and get sales is sooooo out of date, classless and rude. Very poor pay for NO company support

So Sad That Our World Allows This Company To Do Business

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being there for the families, a good counselor is the best treatment received by a family. Working with the Funeral Homes, although most talk about the cemetery behind our backs.

Cons

As an employee, it is a disheartening challenge day to day and hour by hour. Over the past 2 years I have seen 32 employees turn over and have had 6 Managers. Only one regional Manager! Thant position never changes? I have never been insulted on a regular basis nor have I worked so hard for NO reward or pay. Seriously harassed, not paid for hours worked and regular threats by the public that are so upset by lies.

Advice to Management

I pray that the Labor Board rips into this company with the KARMA it deserves. I fear for the staff in our cemetery due to broken promises and not providing what has been paid for. I have been cussed, swung at, threatened, blogged and almost ran over with NO support of Management. It is time for employees to come together and give this company what they have given families for years. A nightmare!

Extremely disappointed in training and management

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Allentown, PA

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting and working with the families was very rewarding.

Cons

As a counselor I was excluded from important meetings that would have given me the opportunity to stay on top of important offers and have first hand knowledge of company changes. Management double dipped by receiving salaries, taking sales from sales counselors, then received not only the commission on those sales, but received management over rides on those sales! To add insult to injury, management then positioned themselves to receive sales considerations for at need sales. These sales combined with pre need sales allowed managers to go on sales trips by meeting or on many occasions exceeding 525,000 in yearly sales. Management did very little to generate new business, but depended on calling the same families repeatedly. To add insult to the sales staff, management placed themselves on the monthly calendar for family services, answered all phone calls, and received mail, depriving any new sales reps the opportunity to make a living. No backup from corporate.

Advice to Management

Question why there is a huge turnover in family service counselors. Could it be that park managers are the problem?

Dysfunctional Work Club Led by Unethical, Incompetent Middle Management in an Oligarchic Industry

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is the potential to make meaningful contributions to people who want and need someone who can help them make final arrangements.

Cons

The ownership and management are satisfied with mediocrity and outdated business methods; they still market, communicate, sell and service customers like they did decades ago. Company uses it`s market dominance in this oligarchic industry to exploit people and they do not care about anything but short term profit objectives. The obvious corporate strategy is to grow a profitable company for a limited period of time. The long term objective is obvious: "We don`t care about people, truth and improvements because we have short-term goals and objectives." This Company has an arrogant attitude of "privileged" and it abuses it`s power to cover-up many injustices, truths and archaic business practices. Unspoken corporate perception of itself: "Size and Might makes us right and you are dispensable".There is a clear attitude that "we don`t need you; but, you need us" This attitude is conveyed to employees and customers. This sense of superiority creates a corporate climate whereby many "shortcuts" and cheap alternatives are instituted because "we can". There is no leadership, no values ,no interest in the intangibles of caring and serving others. Just bottom line sales and numbers. This ignorance and exploitation has a limited and short life span.

Advice to Management

Communicate with customers and employees. You know that there are better ways to relate to people, grow a business and make a profit. Read and learn from the thousands of new companies the past 10 years who treat customers and employees like people whom you care about. Talk to your fired employees. Why such a tremendous turnover?

Liars, thieves and other shady sales people apply, you'll fit right in and probably rise to the top.

Current Employee - Sales Counselor
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor

I have been working at StoneMor full-time

Pros

Knowing I can provide stability and comfort to families who have just suffered a loss is priceless. The families need someone they count on.

Cons

A sales manager who lies and steals, does not support the sales counselors and takes every advantage to hoard leads. Upper management who is obsessed by getting numbers. I get that sales is numbers but people are sales, treat them as such. Salespeople are the bread and butter of any team, treat them as such. Managers should support their teams not lie, cheat and steal to line their own pockets. Mid to upper management does not care about their sales teams, they jump to conclusions and are quick to pass judgment on their staff without ever looking at the whole story. This is a revolving door company and the reasons are all listed in addition to this final fact: the families grief or financial situation better never stand in the way of a sale.

Advice to Management

You ran Alderwood out of business, you ran Lowen Brothers out of business and now the exact same players are ruining this company, the greed and good ole boy attitude is repulsive. There is no honor among thieves, there is no support for sales staff, and their presence in our communities where the employees work and live tarnishes our reputations as community members. Try giving a crap about something other than the all mighty dollar.

Family Advisor.(sales person).

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor (Sales Person) in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor (Sales Person) in Portland, OR

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of reviews are from employee's working in the office or HR department, and of course they will never say anything about it.

Cons

The work environment is horrible and hostile, some sales guys will take your appointments, company leads. Some location manager don't cake about families, all they want is the sales... even if the families are having money problems. The funeral side is fine because they don't get commission, even know is not the cheaper place. During my two years working for Stonemor, I saw at least five location manager's and many, many sales guys with good intentions to help families. But sales manager were all bunch of sharks, which comes from area manager's. I am sure there's good people working for Stonemor, but not the one I worked in Oregon.

Advice to Management

I won't waste my time giving advice to management. .. they won't change its all about money.

Horrible company, they do not care about you!

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved helping people. Loved local people I worked with.

Cons

Higher management are jerks. They dont care about families, just sales sales, even if you have to lie to families. I couldnt be a part of that anymore. They also do what they can so you don't get full commissions.

Advice to Management

Change your ways, you won't lose so many good employees. Praise your employees instead if belittling them and degrading them.

Unprofessional, antiquated and abusive

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The location employees were good to work with.

Cons

No sales data base or computer for sales managers, defiantly not family service. All paper, phone and fax. Welcome to the 40'S. The top Sales Management (Corporate) has not kept up with sales process and is reminiscent of Glengary Glen Ross (look up on youtube, even the spoofs will give you the idea). The sales commisions are ok but the manditory discount policy is a give away on the highest commissional items (land) so the employee gives half of the sale away. The "used car policy" also gives a cheap impression to families and a slimy feeling for the employee in industry that should have some Dignity. Service to families is made ONLY to get sales and done poorly, there is no corporate training standards on in house expectation and process, that was presented. I witnessed mass text to sales managers (all in CAPS) and abusive sales conferences that were personal degradation of managers. To say they had any feeling for their teams or people would not be consistent to their actions. I walked away after knowing I could not work for such an unprofessional company.

Advice to Management

INVESTIGATE AND TAKE ACTION!!! Hire young professionals and give them the freedom to change your company to update to todays business practices. OR SELL TO SCI AND MOVE ON.

RSS Feed </> Embed