Stonegate Mortgage

James J. Cutillo

They Would Rather Sweep Issues Under the Rug Instead of Deal With them

Former Employee - Mortgage Advisor in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Mortgage Advisor in Franklin, TN

I worked at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All E-disclosures done from a department at Corp. LO's don't have to deal with them or Re-disclosures etc... Very easy UW and it's the quickest I've seen. That's the ONLY thing good about this company.

Cons

Your TEAM or UW, processors, closers are spread out all over the USA. So good luck getting in touch with them. Corp big boys don't like to deal with issues - so they just IGNORE YOU.

This "could" be a great company. Take time to listen to the one's that are trying to help you with that. Jim Cutillo needs to take a clue from SWA on how to treat it's employees. Your company seems like a revolving door of people who have come thru and then left because you just don't get it.

Worst company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Underwriting Coordinator in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Underwriting Coordinator in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They promise you growth that is the carrot that they put in front of you. People are so unhappy and overwhelmed with their continuous changes and demands.

Cons

This company consumes your attention, many people have resigned with health issues.

The favoritism and office politics are composed of employees who all came from the same previous company and if you don't conform to their standards your seen as an outsider and they will find a way to get rid of you.

Top company years ago, went public...employees beware.

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing that I can now consider.

Cons

Managerial incompetence (not interested in what they are overseeing, because they don't have to...this was actually said.).
    Good ole boy network. (If you are a "yes" man/woman, tow the line, get along with the supervisors and managers. You'll go far...if not. Start looking for a new job).
    No direction. Seriously. None. This is how we've grown. "Surprise, we've just bought a new company!!"
    No acknowledgement for good work. High profile "accomplishers" get there from the labors of others.
    Work from home flexibility, gone. Bonus plans, gone. Team environments, gone.
    If you take time off, you are obligated to give notice so if a child gets sick and you have to use what little time off you have. Be conscious that now you are looked at like a slacker.

What's to say. They don't care. They do what they want. Why bother. There have been four high profile executives to leave in the last year. The writing is on the wall.

Home Away From Home

Current Employee - Corporate Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Corporate Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team work! We are a great team on all levels!

Cons

You have to take the pros with the cons! It's very busy and at times.. it can be overwhelming.

This is a BUSINESS. The company DOES care about their employees. It's great to work for a company that can be flexible. The Cutillo's have a family. They understand that family does come first in a lot of cases. It's an "open door" policy here. The company has been going through changes...that's business. I could be laid off tomorrow (hope not) but that's life. There is not a perfect work place anywhere in this country however, this is a damned good company to work for. I'm at the low end of the totem pole, here at Stonegate...but I'm proud to be their cheerleader!

Growing too big too fast

I worked at Stonegate Mortgage

Pros

I had a job that I enjoyed but then our office was turned into a call center.We had to accept this change if we wanted to keep a job.

Cons

Management jwas short sighted did not plan ahead for the fast growth. Some of our servicing jobs were outsourced to companies that were also not setup to handle our fast growth. The rest of our servicing jobs went to a new office in Dallas and handled by people that may have had four year college degrees but had no mortgage background.if we wanted to keep a job in our office we had to sign a new job description as a call center representative.. We spent our days being yelled at by customers whose payments were not posted correctly or whose taxes were not being paid correctly or insurance is not being paid on time if at all......
    or my personal favorite - loan packages that we have purchased where customers are angry because they were told by their mortgage advisor that their mortgage insurance premium would drop from their escrow payment after they made half a dozen payments in good faith.
    I personally had instances where loan packages we had purchased were not closed correctly and legal descriptions are incorrect. the industry as a whole is just doing things too quickly yet again..... loan closings are not being done correctly and borrowers need to be asking more questions before they close and find out what they are really getting as far as the loan product.

Stop discarding and dismissing the seasoned employees with the actual mortgage backgrounds in lieu of hiring these four year college graduates most of whom will likely stay for a year to get experience and then take their knowledge on to their new career job.

Stone cold, Stonegate

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedules are flexible and you have the opprotunity to work from home sometimes.

Cons

No organization, training, or promised bonus.

Provide better training and a bonus structure for all the work the employees put in.

Prospective Employees Beware

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say.

Cons

What you need to know: In April of this year they fired numerous employees and closed an Illinois office without warning. In late June, they then went to Arizona and shut them down - again firing numerous employees who had no clue it was coming. The Scottsdale office was one of their major hubs - no more. This past March there was a press conference with Governor about them opening up 400 new jobs in their main office; however, as it turns out they are sending more than 100 jobs from two of their HQ departments to India! In June of this year, the CEO - Dan B. resigned - reportedly to pursue other interests. In truth, he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to distance himself from SGM as much as possible. The list goes on and on. Despite its latest quarterly earnings statement (which appear grossly overblown), this company clearly has major problems. The culture is hostile and their future uncertain. Not to mention their shady business practices. If you're looking for a positive culture, a stable company and a place to make a career for the long term - I do NOT recommend this turbulent, unstable company that does not value its employees and is working its way to expulsion from the NYSE for shady practices and ultimately extinction. They are gearing up for a major external audit and the SEC is watching them very closely.

There is nothing you can tell a group of people who are not interested in employee opinions and only interested in padding their pockets - via off-shore accounts nonetheless.

Great

Current Employee - Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The department I work in treats their staff as professionals

Cons

Since going public, it seems like information about the company has been very limited.

Provide Career path opportunities

It is okay to work for them, but there are issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very understanding to people's personal lives. Willing to work with me on my schedule. Very flexible about coming in early/leaving early and coming in late/staying later (with adequate notice). Co-workers are supportive, but stress develops to get numbers out at the end of month, but management has provided gas cards/lunches to try to energize the people there.

Cons

You don't come here to get rich. The pay structure could use a thorough look through. I don't know about the pay levels in Indianapolis, but in Tampa Bay, it is not cheap to live here. I have no intentions of leaving the company in the foreseeable future, but when I compare what I do to other companies with similar positions, the pay can fall short. Benefits are okay, but needs some attention. Attrition is not too high in the office I work at, until the last 2 months. We lost 5 people that were very good at what they do and that can impact any business or division.

Work to get the benefits programs to be better- 401k, health/dental/vision, and even an increase to an employees' PTOs can help immensely. Take a closer look at employee salaries based on where they live. What it costs to live in Indianapolis is not the same as Clearwater or Phoenix. I understand that salaries may be tied to benefits, but the benefits are suffering. Maybe a little "Undercover Boss" or something is needed.... Not necessarily with the level of publicity that a national program comes with, but sending senior management in to take a closer look at what we are doing may help.

Fun, nice people

Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Stonegate Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with work schedule.

Cons

None that I can think of. I have a great time working here.

Continue to use the manger training provided to Stonegate