Stonewood Products

Anthony Baroni

Top of the line Company

Former Contractor - Web, Menu Display, Graphic Designer in Harwich, MA
    Former Contractor - Web, Menu Display, Graphic Designer in Harwich, MA

I worked at Stonewood Products as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I'm quite impressive with their place, friendly environment and especially the majesty showrooms that give people many ideas for their home's outdoor, indoor, and kitchen renovations. I was working on art and craft based projects for Stonewood Products' showrooms. My skill has been improved tremendously especially with the typographic designs for chalkboard based menu art. I am glad I able to do some typographic projects with other businesses and restaurants with the experiences I got from Stonewood Products. The co-workers, supervisors, and outdoor workers are friendly and they are willing to deal with my deafness. Not only that, I feel like I'm treated equally. Few things I miss working this place is doing art projects, excellent environment, and work with a supervisor with a great sense of humor. I would highly recommend to other hard of hearing or deaf people like me to check this place out for the firepit, kitchens counters, stones and woods home decoration products because they treated me as a deaf person well.

If, I decided to move back on Cape Cod and Stonewood Products called me, I would work for this company again.

Cons

None I can think of.

Disorganized, lack of clear roles and responsibilities, abusive

Former Employee - Inside Sales
    Former Employee - Inside Sales

I worked at Stonewood Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers. Great products, awesome showroom, outstanding yard. 401 K and benefits.

Cons

Complete lack of organization and clear roles and responsibilities. Your job title may say one thing, but you will be asked to do a multitude of other things that are not within the scope of your duties. During my time there I saw a salesman who was also the dispatcher for deliveries, and received no additional compensation. The sales team being asked to clean up certain areas of the yard, or property as if they are janitors. The owner makes someone come up every day and take his coffee mug from his desk to the sink as if he is not capable of walking 20 feet. Not enough help at all. Sales team is bogged down by incoming calls all day to handle customer service issues. Yard guys will be 3-6 pick tickets behind with angry customers who want their product. If you are capable of performing additional work you are taken advantage of and not compensated whatsoever. They make people salary so that they can have them work long hours and not pay overtime. They rotate hourly employees when they get close to 40 hours to avoid paying overtime, even if it means putting someone in a role they are not fit to complete, or sending someone home and leaving it understaffed for the rest of the day. Head of the safety commission used to drink on the job, and brag to everyone in the yard about it, but when it was brought to managements attention nothing was done. The turn over here is crazy. Longest tenured employee's who aren't in management are typically 6-8 months. Obviously, that speaks to something, and highlights the fact that management views everyone as replaceable, and therefore you are not valued as an employee. No clear set rules on how to operate on a daily basis. Constantly changing based on the owners mood. Zero training. How does someone who has only been there for a month train a new employee when they were trained by someone who had only been there for two months? Essentially, it is a dead end job.

Take accountability for your screw ups, and inability to manage effectively. Don't play favorites.... replace people who aren't effectively managing. There is turnover and dissatisfaction for a reason. Don't be naive. Its not that you keep hiring the wrong people year in and out, but that the wrong people are already in charge.

Great Products but the worst job ever

I worked at Stonewood Products

Pros

A real nice niche product line. Fast paced and never a dull moment

Cons

Disorganized and never enough help. Frustration runs high on all levels including the top.
    Upper management asks for open and honest dialoge but does not listen.

Clean house. Hire people with clear goals in mind. Communicate better with the people who are on the fromt line. Training is key.

I recommend working here if you are a go-getter, upbeat, hard worker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harwich, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harwich, MA

I worked at Stonewood Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great people to work with, knowledgeable owner, good location, beautiful office space, enough work to fill your day

Cons

there are more desks than there are employees, a few more dedicated sales reps are needed, an updated computer system would prove helpful

i agree that the first review must be from a vengeful employee - the owner is willing to help anyone and everyone in the office and is good at explaining what he wants done

Great experience there..Big future but old computer system

Former Employee - Administrative in Harwich, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Harwich, MA

I worked at Stonewood Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are good and very smart people to work with, brand new building that fosters a good future, cool and interesting products, cape cod lifestyle

Cons

Computer systems need to change as they cant keep pace with changes in 21st century, also, hire a few more better employees for front end if possible ( its hard these days)

Get a new computer system for more efficient processes
    P.S. The 1st reviewer must be angry or vengeful. The owner is helpful, and donates more to charity than anyone I know! Thanks for a great experience.

High energy, entrepreneurial, fun, and not for faint of heart and chaotic at times

Former Employee - Sales in Harwich, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Harwich, MA

I worked at Stonewood Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial
    Opportunity for input/change
    Progressive
    High energy

Cons

Can be a bit chaotic at times
    Lower pay scale (but Cape Cod life is a nice trade off)
    High expectations in tough labor markets

More internal training as you grow. Hire people who have same pace as company execs.
    Had a great experience, and thank you. I would happily stay if I didnt have to move to city.

I don't know what's bigger, the owner's ego or the level of dischord

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mashpee, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mashpee, MA

I worked at Stonewood Products

Pros

Employee discount (if you need or want the products)
    Location
    Good co-workers

Cons

no communication
    owner runs on emotion, not thought
    no opportunity to advance
    no opportunity to "thnk" and make suggestions (they ask but they don't listen)
    culture allows or managers to yell & scream at workers.

Take the time to learn about your staff and help them grow.