Stonhard Reviews

Updated February 24, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
3.2
Dave Reif

Great company to work for!

I worked at Stonhard full-time

Pros

Very respected organization, with an excellent product. Great work atmosphere and excellent flexibility. Their schedule flexibility is great for new, growing or already established families with busy schedules. The people who work here are great, very friendly and have formed a community amoungst themselves. Salary is not great, but the great benefits and employee relations make it worth it.

Cons

Upper management has incredible tenure, without plans to retire. Keeps their circle very tight and do not create much of an opportunity for growth and development within the departments. If you want to grow within this company you either need to have family in upper management or play your hand very well in office politics. Salary isn't very high, but the benefits and work atmosphere make up for a some of it.

Advice to Management

Put some resources into all departments, provide more opportunities for career development and growth. You have great people working for your organization with incredible potential to grow the company, but without putting resources into your departments and creating opportunities for them to grow, you're going to keep losing them and having to re-train new employees.

Ability to multi task with excellent detail to each project in a fast pace, high stress level position.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Shade, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Shade, NJ

I worked at Stonhard

Pros

Company is environmentally green oriented. They are always donating to needy causes. Raising money for worthy organizations.

Cons

Training programs in place due to the 2-3 year learning curve for the sales department positions. Stressful work environment.

3. Industry leader and great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Shade, NJ

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stonhard continues to be an industry leader for the polymer flooring industry and strives to grow the business with hard workers. The environment in the work place is great with great attitudes of all employees. Big business with a small family type feel. Company outings and gatherings boost company moral.

Cons

Not necessarily a negative but a sales driven company so everything is fast paced and priorities can change by the hour.

You get back what you put in!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, create your own hours and work schedule. You truly get back what you put into it. Every day is new, with new challenges and opportunities. Great support staff from my mgr to his mgr to the tech field support. The money is there if you want it, compensation wise. Benefits have been good as I only have used for general maint for check ups over the years. I have even brought on a close friend to join the territory next to me.

Cons

You work from home, you create your own schedule. Some people have a hard time keeping work and personal time separate. If you have your own home office sometimes people can just always feel like they need to work. This can burn some people out but if you clearly define your hours daily for normal activity and then add some for projects it will be just fine. This job is like many others, its not for everyone. Things happen when a product/ installation is man made. So you fix it and move on, this is not a con but something to be aware of. Also if it was easy and didn't take hard work then everyone would do it right?

Great Company to work with

Current Employee - Area Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Stonhard for 19 years, and have moved from Sales to Architectural Consulting to Sales Management. If you work hard you can gain financial rewards with potential career growth with this company.

Cons

Very competitive market place so you have to be a hard worker to succeed.

A great place to work and build a career.

Current Employee - Administration in Maple Shade, NJ
    Current Employee - Administration in Maple Shade, NJ

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional and friendly office environment. Flexible management that understands how to motivate employees on an individual basis. Compensation is great, benefits are excellent. Opportunity for advancement since the company continues to expand and grow year after year.

Cons

Not really a Con, but fast paced and demanding in Sales and supporting departments. If you are not willing to work hard, take pride in your performance, do whatever it takes to get the job done and customer satisfied, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Sharing information more often across all departments regarding growth and changes would be welcome.

8. A Great Company to Build a long lasting Career with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Shade, NJ

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a very strong company that has been around for 90+ years and is continuing to grow each year. The benefits are fantastic with competitive salaries. Definitely a great company to build a career with, and have job security. Great mix of people who have worked for Stonhard for 30+ years, and many who have been working for less that 5 (due to all of the growth). Management is friendly and understanding, they really care about their employees.

Cons

I do not have any cons, I have been with the company for just over a year and I came from an industry which is not so employee friendly. The benefits I have now compared to what I used to have are phenomenal and its nice to work for an employer who values a good work - life balance.

Advice to Management

Communication across all levels could improve.

Terrible work atmosphere

I have been working at Stonhard

Pros

Pay is decent, benefits are great, and flexible with those with families.

Cons

Company is afraid of change and there is zero communication between employees and management. Senior management has embraced an antiquated workflow and refuses to adapt to the new world and update processes. Not enough long term planning, everything is about today with little planning toward growth even while they are acquiring new businesses. Socializing with your peers is frowned upon and there is some serious morale issues. Not much room for growth because upper management has all worked there since college and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Most departments are very bare bones and micro managed. Department meetings are nonexistent and ideas and thoughts are immediately dismissed if even heard. Training is unheard of and if you are looking to work on technologies that are cutting edge move on and don't work there.

Advice to Management

Embrace change. Listen to employees now and then because believe it or not there your employees may actually know something about what they were hired to do.

Terrific career with a company that has grown double digit year over year for the past 20+ years.

Current Employee - Sales Management in Maple Shade, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Maple Shade, NJ

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well branded and respected organization in their product line and services.
    Products can be used in almost any market and vertically within that market.
    An infrastructure in place for training and support.

Cons

Not necessarily a negative, however if you are in sales you may be required to work weekends and holidays to oversee projects however with planning and a good network of installers this can be controlled.
    It is all about Sales. Fast pace organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to share information across department lines and define career development and opportunities.

The WORST 4 years of my life!

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Stonhard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decent salary, although after increasing sales over 65% 1 year, I asked for a raise and was told my comm was my raise, which I never really seemed to EARN, I'm told! Freedom of work hours and office time when needed. Excellent benefits!

Cons

VERY Structured with set goals no matter the potential of any territory. A rep in rural South Dakota is expected to produce the same results as Chicago with no exceptions to your market. Too many "to do projects" that were basically redundant! Holiday and weekend work, including Thanksgiving and Christmas time to manage projects. Constant pressure from manager and upper management to get 4 quotes per week and 1 order per week. Get on a dry spell for orders and mangt will give you EXTRA paperwork to do to "HELP" you get orders, which actually decreased production worrying about paperwork. Ride alongs with your manager every 4-6 weeks to once again "help" you produce. My manager never really produced anything while on my trips except to beret me about why I asked this question or made that comment to a customer. It is basically a 3 day ride along to tell you what you have done "wrong" on each sales call!

Advice to Management

Sales cycles come and go. Be patient with a salesman with a bad 3 months. You have spent thousands of dollars training him and letting him build relationships with customers. A new rep every other year seems bad for business to me. Relax on the paperwork! All the information you need from TMs we input into Sales Logic and is at your finger tips!