Stony Brook University

www.stonybrook.edu

Stony Brook University Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Stony Brook University – Stony Brook – “Stony Brook University medical center”

Stony Brook University President Samuel L. Stanley Jr., M.D.

Samuel L. Stanley Jr., M.D.

Pros
  • Environment is very good, people are nice, plenty of parking plots(in 13 reviews)

• Large Research I University on Long Island(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is only high enough for cost of living, not recommended for non-student job seekers(in 5 reviews)

• High living expense and less assistance from the undergraduates students(in 3 reviews)

The campus is kind of isolated from the rest of the adjacent going-ons but makes it a nice place to work.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsPeople are friendly. Departments and degrees are deversified.

ConsMust have a car to go anywhere off campus

Advice to Senior ManagementMay consider offering more events on campus to make it look less like a commuter school

Working in the CEAS Department is wonderful

Student IT Specialist/Webmaster (Current Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsPerfect environment for balancing study and work. Part time job has flexible hours and you have hands on experience with web development, computer hardware and software, as well as manage computer labs. Management is very laid back and allows you to work at your own pace.

Working alongside deans, advisors, and other professionals, it gives you the feel of a full-time job at an IT department of a company.

ConsPay is fixed, don't expect a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job with the Information Technology office - keep it up!

The Campus Recreaiton Center of SBU

Web Developer (Former Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsSBU is a quite comfortable place to work. Most people have good education background since sbu is the only good high education school on long island. People from different majors and background are all very nice and easy.

ConsThe salary and package are not very competitive due to the fact that SBU is a state supporting public school. Some departments are short in funding because the finance cut from the government.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsVery calm and quite place to study. Convenience to go to NYC, there is a train station and a bus station you can choose. You will have the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in my field. The people are nice, plenty of parking places.

ConsNo proper eating place at CEWIT. Having a reasonably good eating facilities at CEWIT would make it even better.

Nice place to study in

Statistician (Current Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsEnvironment is very good, people are nice, plenty of parking plots

ConsSome of the school building are too old. It is a state university and lack of enough funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease funding

former ta

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Stony Brook, NY

Prosoverall good place; nice location; good people; professors are mostly great; many great lectures; university becoming better known

Consunhappy staff; needs better relations with the community; expensive area; segments areas; declining number of jobs for graduates

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more to employees

Permanent Appointment

Instructional Support Specialist (Current Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsIf you get permanent appointment after 7 years you will never be fired unless you have a supervisor who likes to do a lot of paper work.

ConsYour boss may be that person who worked for 20-30 years with permanent appointment who can do what ever they like and never get fired.

Advice to Senior Managementhire new blood

Contributions of Staff to University Success Not Acknowledged

Senior Staff Assistant (Current Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsProximity to home
    Union environment
    Union negotiated benefits
    Reputation as research organization
    Staff are dedicated to helping the students succeed

Cons"Leadership" exhibits complete disregard for staff and their contributions to the success of the university. Also exhibits the attitude that staff should be seen and not heard.

Little to no opportunities for staff to advance.

Lack of sufficient parking.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some respect for the staff and all they do for the university and students.

5-year experience as a biology graduate student

ProsHave the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in my field

Conssalary too low while cost of living is high

Nice environment nice people

Prosnear NYC and strong in CS

Conscareer center sucks for years

Worked for Stony Brook University? Contribute to the Community!