Stop & Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker

Carl Schlicker

Pros:
  • "Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Flexible hours to work around school or another job"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Part-time = pay for dues that give you nothing

Selector (Current Employee)
    Assonet, MA

ProsI Do not have any Pros at this time

ConsI have to pay $33 a week to the union up until I've paid them a total of $500. Initially I thought that I was going to be in the union after 90 days of a probationary period. Well it turns out that they lie to you and that even after you fulfill your union dues, you aren't in the union unless S&S hires you Full Time. So essentially they are stealing $33 a week from me, as I get no benefit whatsoever from it. It amounts to almost $2 an hour before taxes, and I'm only getting paid $11.50. Crooks...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making part-timers pay union dues when they are to get no benefit from the union. Organized Crooks.

Not worth it

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsHoliday pay,Great hours,Schedule ,Friendly
    ,Understanding. Its an ok place but I would not recommend it.

ConsCustomers take advantage of customers always right slogan
    Schedule often argued about
    I get payed more than superviser and I'm a cashier
    5 percent discount does not help
    Lots of customers
    Managers expect too much but do too little themselves
    If not unionized they will try to fire you
    No room for advancing

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional, don't mingle too much with coworkers, hire supervisors because the ones work there already favor certain people, stop selling moldy food, I could have called osha several times because of poop in the gas station, managers should definitely not gossip

Difficult

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe friends I've made from working here

ConsManagement is always cutting hours, don't get appreciated when you do everything possible for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the associates.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part time employee

Clerk (Former Employee)
    Trumbull, CT

ProsThey do provide benefits. It is a great high school/ college job. There are small increases occasionally.

ConsThey always cut hours and only offer full time to management. The schedule changes every week and one week you can have 15 hours and the next you can have 30 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive feedback to employees in an approachable way so they can better themselves rather than nit picking everything they are doing wrong without reason

Disappointing and stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits (paid vacations, discounts, health) and that is really about it

ConsHard to get promoted.
    Very immature employees because they are in high school/college and they don't care about their assigned duties.
    Lots of turnover
    Managers often pile more work on those associates (instead of appreciating them) because they work hard and they pick their favorites.
    Employees are not trained properly.
    The department head managers are extremely rude because they think it is a true career when it is just a job.
    THE ENVIRONMENT IN MY STORE IS EXTREMELY MISERABLE!

Advice to Senior ManagementCALM DOWN! treat all of your associates equally regardless...

educational

Night Manager (Current Employee)
    East Meadow, NY

Proshours of work are flexible

Consthe distance from home and work were too far

A good honest way to make a living

Clerk/Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
    East Longmeadow, MA

ProsAs a part timer you get benefits. If you like flexible hours it' the place for you. Friendly staff and can be fun at times.

ConsPay is not the greatest for the amount of work you do. Hard to get a full time position or promotion. sometimes you only get 16 hours for the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and act on what you're employees are telling you. They work directly with the customers and know what they want. Have enough staff on at check-out. Customers don't like to wait and you have lost some because of that.

good

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Amityville, NY

Prosgreat with the hours if you need certain hours . if they can give you the hours you need.

Consi feel that the mangerment need to be more rounded to all associates not just some. they should care about all the workers

Advice to Senior Managementshould keep an eye on associates but as well keep a eye on mangers.

Pharmacy Technician

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Newtown, CT

ProsMy work location was rather relaxed due to the town it was located in. Responsibilities were rather easy to manage and no undue pressure from head pharmacist or customers

ConsNo challenges except the need to stay focused and do the duties assigned to you

Advice to Senior ManagementNot the closest work environment but good starter job in high school

I was a full-time grocery clerk. Worked in multiple departments despite this designation.

Cashier/Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
    Clinton, CT

ProsThe work for the most part is straightforward and mainly physical. If you enjoy working with people and interacting with shoppers then that will make the environment much more enjoyable.

ConsOften times you run into other employees who are not very motivated or who plainly don't care, and that often makes one's own job more difficult and frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementGenuine care for your employees and getting to know them makes a huge difference in workplace morale.

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stop & Shop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stop & Shop CEO Carl Schlicker. All 314 reviews posted anonymously by Stop & Shop employees.