Stop & Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker

Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees(in 28 reviews)

• Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees(in 26 reviews)

• Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage(in 14 reviews)

difficulty with management at times but altogether a nice place to work.

Clerk (Current Employee) Toms River, NJ

Prosflexibility for college students

Consmanagers come and go.

Advice to Senior Managementtalk with your employees don't talk down to them and remember they have lives outside of work too.

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee) Dayton, NJ

ProsVery easy job. Raises are standardized so you will get raises at regular intervals.

ConsMost days are understaffed because there are only 2-3 cashiers during slow periods and busy periods, so you will either get absolutely slammed or have nothing to do. You will most likely never get a holiday off unless you have been working there for YEARS. You get raises at regular intervals but they are very small raises. This is also a bad thing because even if you do way more work than a co-worker both of you get the same amount of money. There is little to no recognition for hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff a little more whether it's helping out on the floor at extremely busy times or dealing with an irate customer that is being unreasonable.

Not awful but could be better

Part Time Assistant Customer Service Department Head (Current Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsPros- Good job for a student, make overtime on Sundays and holidays, meet a lot of great people

ConsCons- pay is low for a job in a food store, can work shifts of up to 7 and a half hours, which you spend on your feet constantly and are only given one 15 minute break.my store is constantly cutting hours

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay, we are almost always understaffed so stop cutting hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's ok if you're looking for a place to start.

Gas Station Manager (Current Employee) Stoneham, MA

ProsThere are benefits to be had as an associate. The companies unionionized so you'll have a hard time loosing this job. You're given great vacation time, considering it's a low end corporate job. 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees. Time and a half on certain holidays, plus payment for whatever you're average hours are for a typical workday.

You'll recieve some other smaller discounts like the Associate discount, where you'll get 5% off your total purchase at the register. It stinks now because they use to offer Associate points which you could bank up and use to pay off a load of groceries worth $30 for a couple of dollars because of taxes.

ConsManagers are hit and miss, some are okay others are terrible. Very rarely will you get one that you'll actually like. Decisions by management seem arbitrary at times, as the manager of one of their gas stations, it's hard to get things done sometimes. Being unionized means, that even if you have a subpar employee working under you, you may not be able to get rid fo them.
    You also won't be recieving any pay raises unless required. For me, I started off at $8.50 as a part timer. Once I went to Full Time a year and a half ago, I recieved a $1 raise. I never got anything in between the time I worked Part-Time to Full-Time and nothing more since I went Full-Time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not much managers can do, their hands are tied by the union, which employees get promoted based on seniority with the company.

Stop and shop

ProsNice co workers and some friendly customers

ConsSome customers are rude and impolite

"A downword Spiral"

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Programs for Customers. Allows Management to get involved with their local communities. Good pay. Great Bonus.

ConsNO WORK LIFE BALANCE!!! I know it's retail, but this is extreme! Stores are not staffed properly and managers are not given the proper tools to do their jobs. No clear direction. Too many people making decisions and no one taking responsibly. If you are looking to grow with this company, the future currently looks foggy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for the programs you roll out when they fail. Allow the stores to run with proper staffing. Actually surprise visit the stores, don't let everyone know you are coming. You should want to see the true conditions the store managers are faced with each day, and not the show that it put on while you visit.

Sometimes this place is a joke

Clerk (Current Employee) Maspeth, NY

Proswell its a job. Its unionized, but the union is a joke. Some managers make an effort to help out part timers, but some management treat part timers like the dirt under there feet and just abuse there power, i wish every part timer knew the union power they have and say no more often, sadly we are poorly informed to our rights in the union contract and have to rely on a 60 year old glutton glob who doesn't even know the rules himself.

Consalways understaffed, department managers do not know what they are doing, health violations everywhere. I understand the customer is always right rule, but stop and shop brings it to a whole new level, an arguing customer will ALWAYS get there way because management is too pussay to defend employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the store is over run with complaining customers your biggest concern shouldn't be whats for lunch.

Good for a first job at 16 years old with no bills. Absolutely no advancement.

Night Time Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Blauvelt, NY

ProsI can't find any pros. Even the "employee discount" was a joke. Just something to go do without being bored at home.

ConsSupervisors weren't helpful, managers were mean, cashiers never smile, and once you settle in on your job and get used to doing it, they pile more stuff on you slowly like a sneaky snake and then you don't have time to do it all. Yea, $160 bucks a week is nothing when you have to do everybody else's job.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in some short sleeve work shirts, oh, and when you want to let someone go, tell them while they're at work already the day before, don't wait until they drive 20 miles to work, waste gas, come to work finding out that their job already done for them and they're walking around confused and then you have the nerve to tell them they're let go because they forgot to sweep up last night and say "we'll pay you for the time you were here today" like you're the greatest thing since sliced bread because you let me have 8 more dollars on my paycheck. Seriously, a big joke.

Not worth it

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsHoliday pay,Great hours,Schedule ,Friendly
    ,Understanding. Its an ok place but I would not recommend it.

ConsCustomers take advantage of customers always right slogan
    Schedule often argued about
    I get payed more than superviser and I'm a cashier
    5 percent discount does not help
    Lots of customers
    Managers expect too much but do too little themselves
    If not unionized they will try to fire you
    No room for advancing

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional, don't mingle too much with coworkers, hire supervisors because the ones work there already favor certain people, stop selling moldy food, I could have called osha several times because of poop in the gas station, managers should definitely not gossip

Part-time = pay for dues that give you nothing

Selector (Current Employee) Assonet, MA

ProsI Do not have any Pros at this time

ConsI have to pay $33 a week to the union up until I've paid them a total of $500. Initially I thought that I was going to be in the union after 90 days of a probationary period. Well it turns out that they lie to you and that even after you fulfill your union dues, you aren't in the union unless S&S hires you Full Time. So essentially they are stealing $33 a week from me, as I get no benefit whatsoever from it. It amounts to almost $2 an hour before taxes, and I'm only getting paid $11.50. Crooks...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making part-timers pay union dues when they are to get no benefit from the union. Organized Crooks.

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!