Stop & Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker

Carl Schlicker

Pros:
  • "Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Flexible hours to work around school or another job"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

difficulty with management at times but altogether a nice place to work.

Clerk (Current Employee)
    Toms River, NJ

Prosflexibility for college students

Consmanagers come and go.

Advice to Senior Managementtalk with your employees don't talk down to them and remember they have lives outside of work too.

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Dayton, NJ

ProsVery easy job. Raises are standardized so you will get raises at regular intervals.

ConsMost days are understaffed because there are only 2-3 cashiers during slow periods and busy periods, so you will either get absolutely slammed or have nothing to do. You will most likely never get a holiday off unless you have been working there for YEARS. You get raises at regular intervals but they are very small raises. This is also a bad thing because even if you do way more work than a co-worker both of you get the same amount of money. There is little to no recognition for hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff a little more whether it's helping out on the floor at extremely busy times or dealing with an irate customer that is being unreasonable.

It was a fun job for my younger days

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with. Pay was okay for what I was doing.

ConsNo real cons for this

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not awful but could be better

Part Time Assistant Customer Service Department Head (Current Employee)
    Wayne, NJ

ProsPros- Good job for a student, make overtime on Sundays and holidays, meet a lot of great people

ConsCons- pay is low for a job in a food store, can work shifts of up to 7 and a half hours, which you spend on your feet constantly and are only given one 15 minute break.my store is constantly cutting hours

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay, we are almost always understaffed so stop cutting hours.

It's ok if you're looking for a place to start.

Gas Station Manager (Current Employee)
    Stoneham, MA

ProsThere are benefits to be had as an associate. The companies unionionized so you'll have a hard time loosing this job. You're given great vacation time, considering it's a low end corporate job. 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees. Time and a half on certain holidays, plus payment for whatever you're average hours are for a typical workday.

You'll recieve some other smaller discounts like the Associate discount, where you'll get 5% off your total purchase at the register. It stinks now because they use to offer Associate points which you could bank up and use to pay off a load of groceries worth $30 for a couple of dollars because of taxes.

ConsManagers are hit and miss, some are okay others are terrible. Very rarely will you get one that you'll actually like. Decisions by management seem arbitrary at times, as the manager of one of their gas stations, it's hard to get things done sometimes. Being unionized means, that even if you have a subpar employee working under you, you may not be able to get rid fo them.
    You also won't be recieving any pay raises unless required. For me, I started off at $8.50 as a part timer. Once I went to Full Time a year and a half ago, I recieved a $1 raise. I never got anything in between the time I worked Part-Time to Full-Time and nothing more since I went Full-Time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not much managers can do, their hands are tied by the union, which employees get promoted based on seniority with the company.

Stop and shop

ProsNice co workers and some friendly customers

ConsSome customers are rude and impolite

Stop & Shop Review

Front End Cashier (Current Employee)
    Enfield, CT

ProsIt's easy, and theirs no pressure put on you on getting things or scoring rewards for every customer ever.

ConsMorale is low, leaving people to be miserable. Basically people act like it's the worst thing to ever be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider making more incentives to do a good and better job, aka perks and benefits.

Had no problems working there.

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee)
    Westbury, NY

ProsGood benefits such as getting cheaper gas.

Conshad to pay for bakery food even though i worked there... cant even eat one cookie when i made 200.

A good honest way to make a living

Clerk/Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
    East Longmeadow, MA

ProsAs a part timer you get benefits. If you like flexible hours it' the place for you. Friendly staff and can be fun at times.

ConsPay is not the greatest for the amount of work you do. Hard to get a full time position or promotion. sometimes you only get 16 hours for the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and act on what you're employees are telling you. They work directly with the customers and know what they want. Have enough staff on at check-out. Customers don't like to wait and you have lost some because of that.

Not worth it

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsHoliday pay,Great hours,Schedule ,Friendly
    ,Understanding. Its an ok place but I would not recommend it.

ConsCustomers take advantage of customers always right slogan
    Schedule often argued about
    I get payed more than superviser and I'm a cashier
    5 percent discount does not help
    Lots of customers
    Managers expect too much but do too little themselves
    If not unionized they will try to fire you
    No room for advancing

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional, don't mingle too much with coworkers, hire supervisors because the ones work there already favor certain people, stop selling moldy food, I could have called osha several times because of poop in the gas station, managers should definitely not gossip

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stop & Shop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stop & Shop CEO Carl Schlicker. All 312 reviews posted anonymously by Stop & Shop employees.