Stop & Shop Reviews

Reset
2.9
Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • its a very good part time job for teens (in 31 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • In the pharmacy department they do not allow technicians a full time schedule because they don't want to pay for the hours or the benefits (in 27 reviews)

• It makes it impossible to take on a second part time job (in 18 reviews)

1. Bagger and carriage's

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Revere, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Revere, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have good customer service skills and get along well with others.I am also dedicated person and will work extra hours if necessary.

Cons

I am currently working at Stop & Shop working part time hours and I am currently looking for full time hours which my job doesn't have available

Advice to Management

I am a very dedicated person and I am also a hard worker.I also get along well with others.

2. Hate being treated like I'm worthless

Current Employee - Front End in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Front End in Groton, CT

I have been working at Stop & Shop (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly co-workers (most of the time), every day is a new adventure, pay is reasonable for someone starting out

Cons

Managers and Customers treat you like you're worthless, you pull more then your own weight and still no one cares, you have to treat customers with respect even if they yellat you for the little things, hit you with there car, and cut you off with there car

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, if a customer complains don't jump to conclusions find out what happened on both sides of the story

3. Company Review

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people who work there are really nice. Good crew overall.

Cons

Management constantly cutting hours, then asking you to stay late. Better to stay part-time, full-time is too stressful, because they can move you to another store with only a week's notice

Advice to Management

Stop messing with hours, If you want loyalty, you should respect your employees.

5. Front end supervisor

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

Good job God Sunday pay managers are cool and nice. The costumers are nice

Cons

Most Cashiers aren't as happy. The bottle room needs to upgrade the machines.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Raises should be more often though.

6. Part time clerk

Current Employee - Frond End Clerk in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Frond End Clerk in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

Sunday & holiday over time pay along with sick days: healthy workers is important. Providing donations Local and regional nonprofits in communities (philanthropy a value I support) and some work/life balance. As for people who are considering this place: pick a department that you would like to advance in.

Cons

Rank takes precedence over individual desire and motivation along with ability. Most locations over hire. Not enough people try to prevent shrink.

Advice to Management

Every associate should be shown ways to reduce shrink (aka-TOTAL LOSS) here's how YOU can give incentive: reduced sales means a cut in EVERYONES hours, including them. Groom associates that have desire and willingness to learn. Department switches should never be taken personal. Some people can't take working in tight quarters ( front end, for example)

7. Casheir

Former Employee - Cashier in Malden, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Malden, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop (More than a year)

Pros

Short Shifts. Easy to make close acquaintances while working there. Promotions from within.

Cons

Occasional upset customer. Recommended to be a people person.

Advice to Management

We're trying hard. Don't bring down the hammer on employees. The customer isn't always right.

8. What you would expect of a grocery store employer.

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

I am a previous worker at the national chain of grocery stores known as Stop & (and) Shop. They sell food and other items of commercial value.

Cons

I worked at Stop & (and) Stop. I have previously bought things at Stop & (and) Shop. They are a large chain with many stores.

Advice to Management

I, a former employee of Stop & (and) Stop, have no real advice/ suggestions/ care for the management team of Stop & (and) shop.

9. Cashier/Bagger/Carts

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Stop & Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

Calm environment, air conditioned, average grocery store experience.

Cons

Lack of hours, running carts in bad weather.

10. "Better place to work"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Amityville, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop (More than 3 years)

Pros

For some Stop & Shop can be a great starter job, the interview is fast and getting the job is easy. You can develop valuable skill in customer service, multitasking, communication, organization, leadership, and management. Managers are typically friendly and only want to see the work done regardless on how you do it. If you're tight with the store manager you will see your time working there will be a lot smother.

Cons

Management in the store is great depending on what location you work, corporate on the other hand is a nightmare. Unfortunately the company has long forgotten the fact that their employees are the working force that creates the "Better place to shop". Although the company claims they appreciate their workers and promise a great deal of opprotunity corporate could care less about fulfilling any of those promises. It shows too, instead of most big suits showing an ounce of gratitude towards their employees they order everyone around like drill sergeants. District directors will show their gratitude for five years of service by sending your a flimsy keychain that is so impersonal you are labeled "associate" on their thank you card. Moving up in the company, like applying for full time, is pretty much impossible. The company would rather soon as pay you as little as possible then actually grant you any bennefits.

Advice to Management

Learn from companies like Starbucks and Costco, treat your workers well and they will provide excellent customer service.

11. Clerk

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

Work is not difficult, very manual. Reminds me of working on an assembly line at most times.

Cons

Most miserable group of people I have ever met - I don't think I have met one person happy to be there. Constant pressure to do more extends throughout store. Days, hours vary week-to-week.

Advice to Management

It does not appear that most areas are adequately staffed. This means if someone takes time off, there is no coverage - some work will slide. If it's a clerk, their daily things are kind of done by others. If it's a manager then the medium term stuff is not done - order supplies, schedules, etc... With the constant pressure to do more within the same schedule means people working off the clock. Absolutely amazing. Most are paid an average hourly wage but feel compelled to get something done on time regardless of clocking the hours necessary to get the job done. Remember the 'something' keeps growing in scope as well.

RSS Feed </> Embed