Stop & Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker

Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees(in 28 reviews)

• Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees(in 26 reviews)

• Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage(in 14 reviews)

stupid management

Deli/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) Unionville, CT

Prossome of the employees i worked with

Consmanagement was extremely rude and inconsiderate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was talked down to when i left. like i was suppose to stay at a p[lace that never gave me a chance. No matter how many well I did or how many times I did the full timers job and ordering when she was high on pain killers.

CDH

Front End Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) Union, NJ

ProsFlexible Schedule, great college job.

ConsA Lot of Work. More work than what you are being paid for. Take on the responsiblities of the Managers if they are lazy

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider leardership and be an example to your employees

used to be a better place to work

Prosit is a steady check that you know is going to be there at the end of each work week.

Consnot very much appreciation shown to employees. all people care about is pushing employees to do more work with less hours given to complete what work needs to get done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away! Would have given a zero but it is not an option.

ProsThere really are none that I can offer.

ConsThere are no hours whatsoever unless you are full time, which believe me would be worse than going to the electric chair in this company. There are so many layers in this company that the left hand never know what the right hand is doing. It is disheartening and pitiful that this company does not care for any of their employees regardless of their status (part time or full time), their title, or how many years they spent in the company or industry in general. If you must work retail, do yourself a favor and run don't walk away from this dysfunctional company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to ALL of your employees from department managers to part timers. We are on the front lines and know the wants and needs of our customers as well as how our department should be functioning. The biggest problem is the hoarding of hours to meet quotas from up above and the saving of hours to make your bonuses larger at the end of the year. Stop falling into the "Capitalist" state of mind, because just remember many of those greedy companies have folded and Stop and Shop will be no exception if they continue to act this way. Stop and Shop could be a pleasant store, but unfortunately the higher tiers make that impossible. This may work quite well for you in the New England Region, but in the New York/New Jersey region our customers are a horse of a different color.

In addition, the company culture is horrible. Forget all these employee appreciation days, gift cards and whatever other frivolous nonsense that is implemented. We need appreciation, more labor, and most of all to be listened to rather than dismissed. As a business major pursing a Master's Degree I am left wondering how many of these managers are in fact college graduates with ethics, diversity and business classes. Very pathetic indeed and may I add that more of these managers need Dale Carnegie classes, both department managers and store managers.

horrible company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people to work with

Consthe pay was lousy pay horrible management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to run a company

Toxic Work environment, low pay, No Medical Benefits, Low regards for its Employees

Cashier (Former Employee) Hamden, CT

ProsThis company sells extremely expensive, quality food, that the Average consumer of this economy can only afford with credit Cards (interest rates they will pass on to the Taxpayer) or
    Low income consumer, who utilizes Government Substidies on the 1st of each month.

ConsNothing positive to say about ths company. It's like Walmart; very little regard for it's P/T Employees who work their positions in various Dept.within their stores (extremely low wages; canceled Major Medical and Prescription Drug Medical Benefits 12/31/13 to save Upper Management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example; cut your Medical Benefits also wages and see if you enjoy working in this "Toxic Work Environment"

Terrible work environment

Peapod Driver (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsThe other employees were very nice. They helped when when I needed it and we really bonded.

ConsI was a peapod Stocker. The entire workplace was terrible. It was extremely disorganized and the supplies we needed weren't in the proper places. It was also very dangerous with totes falling over all the time. There was one time a huge stack up to the roof toppled over right on top of another worker. The pay was horrendous. Walking out with paychecks of maybe $60 at max. I would NEVER recommend this job to anyone. Stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do the job yourself in that kind of disorganized and unsafe environment with that pay.

Stop and Slave

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsCustomers and 5% discount are nice

ConsManagement is absolutely clueless and don't know what they are doing

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the supermarket business before you promote people!

I enjoyed the job, my coworkers, and my customers, but the company itself is so poorly managed that it was intolerable.

Cashier (Former Employee) Winsted, CT

ProsIf you're not looking to work too much you should be okay because they don't give you a lot of hours as a part-time. You can become a manager with ease so moving up in the system is a piece of cake and there are all kinds of jobs available throughout the store if you're willing to stick around and try to get into a different department.

ConsMorally, I cannot tolerate Stop & Shop's dealings with its employees or its company policies. The managers of the store were irresponsible, apathetic, rude, and downright cruel. All food that is considered not fresh is LOCKED in a dumpsters rather than donated. The amount of waste is incredible. If you ask for different hours, miss a single day of work, or call them out on their inappropriate behavior they won't fire you because legally they can't without a reason. I have seen them lie to try to get people fired and cut peoples' hours until they are forced to quit. This didn't happen to me though because when I had a family emergency and tried to called out for the first and last time, I was told to come into work or I would be fired, so I came into work. There is a middle aged woman at my store that was made to do heavy lifting outside her job requirement because she was left entirely alone in her department and she sprained her neck and is now handicapped. Another girl there that I know worked there for ten years and still does not get seniority when it comes to hours or holiday pay. If you make more on the holidays because you have been there longer, they won't put you on because they don't want to pay you time and a half.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take more care to treat your employees with respect and kindness. Think of people more and money less. Stop and Shop is a company that has lost its soul to greed and it shows. In the long run it will only hurt your business, especially because everyone that works there will refuse to ever shop there again in protest.

horrible

Front End Associate (Former Employee) Norwichtown, CT

Prosflexible schedule and decent medical benefits

Conscan't have water or anything at personal at the register

Advice to Senior Managementbe more flexiable

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!