Stop & Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker

Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 28 reviews)

• Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great first job

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Peabody, MA

ProsGreat co workers, good hours, ok pay, thorough training, nice upper management, laid back most of time, I would recommend.

ConsNot many cons. Not great pay. Jaggy Hahsdj jshsjhddi jshsjhddi Hahsdj jshsjhddi Jains Hahsdj jshsjhddi jshsjhddi hanks Hahsdj jdjdnd nsjd

A complete nightmare!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Northport, NY

ProsMore flexible towards college and high school students
    Discounts and paid vacations and that's really about it

ConsDealing with picky and annoying customers
    Some employees don't work up to ability
    Hard to get promoted to the next level or even to corporate, leaving most employees unhappy
    The new yellow and purple uniforms (EWWWW.....)
    Those who work hard get more work piled on instead of being appreciated
    The union doesn't care...hard to get lazy people fired!
    Management treats everyone like dirt (except for those who have special needs)
    Do yourselves a favor and don't waste your time filling out the application. Don't make the same mistake that I did....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

As soon as people started earning Sunday overtime pay, they cut their hours so that the upper management team can earn more...CHEAP COMPANY!

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down! way too extreme and it's only retail. Treat everyone equally.

Mediocre

ProsFun employees to work with

ConsUnionized so can not stand out

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter health insurance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CASHIER

Front End Cashier (Current Employee)

Prosgood start job ..you get decent benefits..good customer service experience

Consshort lunch breaks when store is busy and you want to pay that usually takes up your whole break

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It is work. Could be better. There must be better places.

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) Sandwich, MA

ProsFlexible schedule. Co workers are ok. Union makes it very hard to get fired.

ConsLow pay. Having to pay union dues but get no benefits. Management that doesn't try to improve anything. Worried only about profits. Understaffed and only hires part time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what the job is worth. Try to help employees do their job instead of saying not my problem. You deal with it, then yell at them because the work isn't done.. Hire enough people to do the work.

Terrible

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsCo-workers and customers are great. Retail environment is good for those that like that.

ConsUpper management overthinks a simple concept. Their new "FIX" program is horrible. It gives each department hours on what it thinks the daily tasks are. Some stores have lost up to 400 hours a week vs last years hours and employees are utterly frustrated and unhappy. Of course, what can't/doesn't get done has to be done by management. Each specialist has their new ideas to add almost every month and it just gets worse and worse. This company could be the best. It is a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real. You are ruining the company. Clueless to how it really is in the stores.

Its has it ups and down.

Shift Manager (Current Employee) Dedham, MA

ProsGood benefits for working there, flexible hours. Most of the people there are very easy to work with. Are some areas where advancement is easy.

ConsLack of communication. Lots of empty Promises. Raises are a joke,especially when you have been there for so long. Longer you work there the more problems and stress you deal with.

Good overall, but definitely room for improvement in multiple areas.

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Point Pleasant, NJ

ProsOverall, I've had a positive experience. The associates for the most part are very friendly and easy to get along and work with. Management is also relatively easy to get a long with and they will take care of you as long as you do your job to the best of your ability. However this all may vary by store, as no one place is the same. I find myself lucky to have worked with the people that I do. Also, advancement is absolutely possible but unfortunately, it just depends on being there for long enough or in some cases who you know, when it comes to management or classified positions.

ConsWhile Ahold has come a long way, they can still attract more customers by implementing a more aggressive pricing structure. The company is also too focused on company programs that seem as though some guy in an office thought of them. Most of it being micromanagement of daily tasks that were already being done correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. And also, while keeping everything under tight control is necessary, micromanagement of everything little thing is not. let the stores take care of things on a more individual level with guidance from management rather than dictating exactly the way things should be done.

Sometimes this place is a joke

Clerk (Current Employee) Maspeth, NY

Proswell its a job. Its unionized, but the union is a joke. Some managers make an effort to help out part timers, but some management treat part timers like the dirt under there feet and just abuse there power, i wish every part timer knew the union power they have and say no more often, sadly we are poorly informed to our rights in the union contract and have to rely on a 60 year old glutton glob who doesn't even know the rules himself.

Consalways understaffed, department managers do not know what they are doing, health violations everywhere. I understand the customer is always right rule, but stop and shop brings it to a whole new level, an arguing customer will ALWAYS get there way because management is too pussay to defend employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the store is over run with complaining customers your biggest concern shouldn't be whats for lunch.

A decent starter job

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Brockton, MA

ProsIf you've got good managers (which are rare), they can be flexible and help work around your hours. It's an alright starter job to gain experience dealing with people, but not one that is really rewarding in the long run. It's more about the people you work with that make the day to day aspects of this job either bearable or really horrible.

ConsManagement. Very cookie cutter in some aspects, and the guys from above like to come down hard on everyone, including store and department management, which in turn kills morale pretty badly with silly guidelines put into place. Everything is also unionized, which is nice for people if they lean on them, but it limits your growth at the company and everyone gets raises at the same time. Basically that means the only way to make more money than the other guy is to get more hours, and those are always getting cut by management to save money and look good as a store.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people or they'll quit out on you.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!