Stop & Shop

Updated October 14, 2014
2.9

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees (in 27 reviews)

• they don't have hours for the part time workers, they work less then 30 hours a week (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

There are better grocery stores to work for.

Current Employee - Service Clerk
    Current Employee - Service Clerk

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the coworkers are nice and enjoyable to interact with, due to our proximity to the suburbs lots of attractive women enter the store (LOL hey it's something), store is generally on the laid back side, relatively easy to get time off

Cons

Most of the time the upper management can't get their heads out of their butts, constant politics and ridiculous issues that shouldn't be happening, very often the front end is lacking in key supplies such as plastic or paper bags, not enough hours going around, lately being a unionized company is equally as bad as it is good, no health insurance anymore, overall a dismal atmosphere.

Get your crap together. I can't believe this store is even in business still.

You're better off working at walmart

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was close to home. Time and a half on sundays (walmart does the same thing without the union dues). Actually, my boyfriend works at walmart and there is not one benefit i had over him.

Cons

Entire families work here and play favorites. I was one of the few that wasn't related to anyone when i got hired. Management allows favorites to fool around while one person cashiers and bags alone with a long line of customers waiting. Stupid rules like not being able to drink a water bottle even though the registers suck up all the moister from the air in the front end. Boring job. 1 hour working here is the equivalent of 5 hrs working elsewhere. Must be part of union to work here and the union takes $10 per week out of your check...they did that to me for 4 years and i never used the union for anything, ever. Don't work here. My boyfriend makes more at walmart By working there 2 years than i did working 4 years at stop and shop.

Don't play favorites so everyone actually works and not just 2/15 people on shift. Oh and learn how to actually manage people

Terrible company that punishes good work.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many. A few good workers who genuinely try to help new employees. Most are rotten and hate their jobs. The produce isn't bad to purchase if a good worker stocks it properly and ensures the quality.

Cons

It is an abusive environment. As a new employee, you are desperate to try to learn as much as possible in the first few months to be competent at your job. Coworkers withhold information from you and you have to figure most things out yourself with little and sometimes no help. If for some reason you do figure things out yourself (we can't have that, since you are continuously condemned as "stupid"), then they go to management and complain. Customers swarm around displays when you are stocking and get right up in your face and prevent you from working and they take produce from the U-Boat as they please. A very ruthless and cutthroat place to work. You have to watch your back at all times.

Management is only concerned with maintaining their own jobs. Advice is not useful.

A high school job...nothing more

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

decent pay grade, flexible hours, some nice people who do work, skill building for future jobs

Cons

management is terrible to employees, will listen to lies told by customers over hard workers, sales based, pay cuts, hour cuts,

Great first job

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Peabody, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co workers, good hours, ok pay, thorough training, nice upper management, laid back most of time, I would recommend.

Cons

Not many cons. Not great pay. Jaggy Hahsdj jshsjhddi jshsjhddi Hahsdj jshsjhddi Jains Hahsdj jshsjhddi jshsjhddi hanks Hahsdj jdjdnd nsjd

Blind leading blind

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, bonus, generally co-workers, benefits and pto

Cons

Completely unrealistic labor structure yet no one speaks up to the higher ups. Everyone just moves hours around in order to meet "fix" numbers, wasting tons of time. Way too much time wasted on paperwork, filling out charts, clipboards etc. We literally leave things empty and have lines due to filling out worthless paperwork yet we preach productivity. Everyone passes the blame above store level when it comes to serious issues. Travel pay is not based geographically which is asinine. I could go on and on but the company won't listen anyways and I'll continue to take home my six figure salary so to preach managements motto- it is what it is

Hold someone accountable for the complete downfall these past year. It's obvious fix isn't working stop continuing to drive down the company

My store

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

The best ever I love it

Cons

the best ever I love it

It's a job.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling. You can get as much time off as you need. Received a small raise after 6 months of employment. There seem to be actual opportunities for advancement if you stick with it for long enough.

Cons

Recently, hours have been cut as they are hiring more cashiers than they probably need, and the paycheck has gone down with it. You'll need good insoles in your shoes, and I'd personally recommend you get shoes that are made for standing in for long hours at a time.

great job back in the day,sukks now

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

most co worker are pretty cool so you can make some new friends
    if your full time you get insurance and benefits
    easy job
    union

Cons

no hope for career advancement
    money is ok
    no insurance for part timers
    when u get full time in produce or meat you have to work all nights most of the time til u get promoted again which can take anywhere from 4 to 10 years
    union-guys that have 20-30 years make 25-32 dollars an hour and dont do any work it always gets left for the 2nd shift guys. these guys believe they are entitled to do nothing because they have so many years in. these guys should wake up everyday and thank god they make great money for a job that requires no education or skills and any guy off the street could do. this is way young guys cant advance and get crap money now

you know what it is.

Front end

Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsborough, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsborough, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible with hours, although you might not get more than 12 a week. Good place to work if you are going to school at same time, after that, get a different job.

Cons

Not enough room for all of the cons with this company. Terrible management, employees hired after 2011 can't have more than 29 hours a week. Managers and full-timers do nothing then get mad at part-time employees for not doing more of their work. Union doesn't protect you and they take over a full year to settle contract. Find a different low paying job, trust me.

No advice for management, they would only pretend to listen anyway.