Stop & Shop Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.9

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 28 reviews)

• Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

"A downword Spiral"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Programs for Customers. Allows Management to get involved with their local communities. Good pay. Great Bonus.

Cons

NO WORK LIFE BALANCE!!! I know it's retail, but this is extreme! Stores are not staffed properly and managers are not given the proper tools to do their jobs. No clear direction. Too many people making decisions and no one taking responsibly. If you are looking to grow with this company, the future currently looks foggy.

Take responsibility for the programs you roll out when they fail. Allow the stores to run with proper staffing. Actually surprise visit the stores, don't let everyone know you are coming. You should want to see the true conditions the store managers are faced with each day, and not the show that it put on while you visit.

Good for a first job at 16 years old with no bills. Absolutely no advancement.

Former Employee - Night Time Bakery Clerk  in  Blauvelt, NY
    Former Employee - Night Time Bakery Clerk in Blauvelt, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't find any pros. Even the "employee discount" was a joke. Just something to go do without being bored at home.

Cons

Supervisors weren't helpful, managers were mean, cashiers never smile, and once you settle in on your job and get used to doing it, they pile more stuff on you slowly like a sneaky snake and then you don't have time to do it all. Yea, $160 bucks a week is nothing when you have to do everybody else's job.

Invest in some short sleeve work shirts, oh, and when you want to let someone go, tell them while they're at work already the day before, don't wait until they drive 20 miles to work, waste gas, come to work finding out that their job already done for them and they're walking around confused and then you have the nerve to tell them they're let go because they forgot to sweep up last night and say "we'll pay you for the time you were here today" like you're the greatest thing since sliced bread because you let me have 8 more dollars on my paycheck. Seriously, a big joke.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

Holiday pay,Great hours,Schedule ,Friendly
    ,Understanding. Its an ok place but I would not recommend it.

Cons

Customers take advantage of customers always right slogan
    Schedule often argued about
    I get payed more than superviser and I'm a cashier
    5 percent discount does not help
    Lots of customers
    Managers expect too much but do too little themselves
    If not unionized they will try to fire you
    No room for advancing

Be professional, don't mingle too much with coworkers, hire supervisors because the ones work there already favor certain people, stop selling moldy food, I could have called osha several times because of poop in the gas station, managers should definitely not gossip

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part-time = pay for dues that give you nothing

Current Employee - Selector  in  Assonet, MA
    Current Employee - Selector in Assonet, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

I Do not have any Pros at this time

Cons

I have to pay $33 a week to the union up until I've paid them a total of $500. Initially I thought that I was going to be in the union after 90 days of a probationary period. Well it turns out that they lie to you and that even after you fulfill your union dues, you aren't in the union unless S&S hires you Full Time. So essentially they are stealing $33 a week from me, as I get no benefit whatsoever from it. It amounts to almost $2 an hour before taxes, and I'm only getting paid $11.50. Crooks...

Stop making part-timers pay union dues when they are to get no benefit from the union. Organized Crooks.

Difficult

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

The friends I've made from working here

Cons

Management is always cutting hours, don't get appreciated when you do everything possible for the company.

Appreciate the associates.

Not awful but could be better

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Customer Service Department Head  in  Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Customer Service Department Head in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros- Good job for a student, make overtime on Sundays and holidays, meet a lot of great people

Cons

Cons- pay is low for a job in a food store, can work shifts of up to 7 and a half hours, which you spend on your feet constantly and are only given one 15 minute break.my store is constantly cutting hours

better pay, we are almost always understaffed so stop cutting hours.

It was a fun job for my younger days

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

Great people to work with. Pay was okay for what I was doing.

Cons

No real cons for this

It's ok if you're looking for a place to start.

Current Employee - Gas Station Manager  in  Stoneham, MA
    Current Employee - Gas Station Manager in Stoneham, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are benefits to be had as an associate. The companies unionionized so you'll have a hard time loosing this job. You're given great vacation time, considering it's a low end corporate job. 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees. Time and a half on certain holidays, plus payment for whatever you're average hours are for a typical workday.

You'll recieve some other smaller discounts like the Associate discount, where you'll get 5% off your total purchase at the register. It stinks now because they use to offer Associate points which you could bank up and use to pay off a load of groceries worth $30 for a couple of dollars because of taxes.

Cons

Managers are hit and miss, some are okay others are terrible. Very rarely will you get one that you'll actually like. Decisions by management seem arbitrary at times, as the manager of one of their gas stations, it's hard to get things done sometimes. Being unionized means, that even if you have a subpar employee working under you, you may not be able to get rid fo them.
    You also won't be recieving any pay raises unless required. For me, I started off at $8.50 as a part timer. Once I went to Full Time a year and a half ago, I recieved a $1 raise. I never got anything in between the time I worked Part-Time to Full-Time and nothing more since I went Full-Time.

There's not much managers can do, their hands are tied by the union, which employees get promoted based on seniority with the company.

Stop and shop

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

Nice co workers and some friendly customers

Cons

Some customers are rude and impolite

Had no problems working there.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Westbury, NY
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Westbury, NY

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits such as getting cheaper gas.

Cons

had to pay for bakery food even though i worked there... cant even eat one cookie when i made 200.

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!