Stop & Shop

Updated October 21, 2014
2.9

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees (in 27 reviews)

• they don't have hours for the part time workers, they work less then 30 hours a week (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Its has it ups and down.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Dedham, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits for working there, flexible hours. Most of the people there are very easy to work with. Are some areas where advancement is easy.

Cons

Lack of communication. Lots of empty Promises. Raises are a joke,especially when you have been there for so long. Longer you work there the more problems and stress you deal with.

Good overall, but definitely room for improvement in multiple areas.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Point Pleasant, NJ
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Point Pleasant, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I've had a positive experience. The associates for the most part are very friendly and easy to get along and work with. Management is also relatively easy to get a long with and they will take care of you as long as you do your job to the best of your ability. However this all may vary by store, as no one place is the same. I find myself lucky to have worked with the people that I do. Also, advancement is absolutely possible but unfortunately, it just depends on being there for long enough or in some cases who you know, when it comes to management or classified positions.

Cons

While Ahold has come a long way, they can still attract more customers by implementing a more aggressive pricing structure. The company is also too focused on company programs that seem as though some guy in an office thought of them. Most of it being micromanagement of daily tasks that were already being done correctly.

Take care of your employees. And also, while keeping everything under tight control is necessary, micromanagement of everything little thing is not. let the stores take care of things on a more individual level with guidance from management rather than dictating exactly the way things should be done.

Framingham stop and shop o c c

Current Employee - Bagger in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Bagger in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good people but sometimes stress can be a factor in the way when I left Price chopper I was a cashier at the time I was there and afterwards I applied to become a cashier for the Framingham stop and shop but I found out it never happened I ended up bagging and repeating the same for over 14 strange years with no promotion and no move up in the company because of management changes this it what's holding me back I need to change my line of work badly

Cons

I have been a great person I have no real honest complaints from the previous management they were great and I was their top guy the only real issue I really truly have is the upstairs break room is that's needs sever cleaning every morning because when I go up stairs to relax and eat something before I go on the floor it's always a giant mess and I have to eat outside because it's very nasty and I wouldn't be surprised to see the board of health close the store because of this type of issue in this case someone needs to get on this I mean every morning thank you

like II said before the upstairs break room needs more attention to be cleaned every morning that is all because it just can't be left for someone else to go after that is all

A decent starter job

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Brockton, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you've got good managers (which are rare), they can be flexible and help work around your hours. It's an alright starter job to gain experience dealing with people, but not one that is really rewarding in the long run. It's more about the people you work with that make the day to day aspects of this job either bearable or really horrible.

Cons

Management. Very cookie cutter in some aspects, and the guys from above like to come down hard on everyone, including store and department management, which in turn kills morale pretty badly with silly guidelines put into place. Everything is also unionized, which is nice for people if they lean on them, but it limits your growth at the company and everyone gets raises at the same time. Basically that means the only way to make more money than the other guy is to get more hours, and those are always getting cut by management to save money and look good as a store.

Take care of your people or they'll quit out on you.

service desk clerk

Current Employee - Service Desk Clerk in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Service Desk Clerk in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

independence (at times), get to sell lotto

Cons

no pay increase for dealing with more b.s and responsibility vs cashier or bagger

better pay. should atleast get a few cents more than baggers

Great relationship building experience

Former Employee - Front End Manager
    Former Employee - Front End Manager

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time

Pros

Ability to move within the company store from entry level to mid-level positions.
    Can build many lasting relationships.
    Coworkers are generally very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Very slow moving to corporate level.
    At times slow to implementing change.

Good experience & benefits

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Providence, RI

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We had very caring employees to work with and management was very accessible. The healthcare benefits were great and the pay was competitive.

Cons

We needed more help in our department. It's also difficult being on your feet for 10-12 hour shifts. Some equipment was outdated.

Please observe how hard we work

Fun

Current Employee - Clerk in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Beverly, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much but is a great place

Cons

Must be in the union

Need to not allocate

A pretty cool place.

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

The atmosphere is laid back and friendly, management is pretty lenient, vacation and personal time was pretty generous, probably because I was a part of the union.

Cons

In the pharmacy department they do not allow technicians a full time schedule because they don't want to pay for the hours or the benefits. It's unfortunate.

Communication is key, check attitudes at the door.

Good place to work during high school and college

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Milford, CT
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Milford, CT

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience with customer service, department managers care deeply about their employees

Cons

Store managers are too arrogant and could care less about part-time workers

Include part-time workers more by informing them and including them more in daily financial information and some decision making