Stop & Shop

Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 31 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • full time workers are transferred when the mangers or higher ups decide (in 27 reviews)

• they don't have hours for the part time workers, they work less then 30 hours a week (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Front end

Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsborough, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsborough, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible with hours, although you might not get more than 12 a week. Good place to work if you are going to school at same time, after that, get a different job.

Cons

Not enough room for all of the cons with this company. Terrible management, employees hired after 2011 can't have more than 29 hours a week. Managers and full-timers do nothing then get mad at part-time employees for not doing more of their work. Union doesn't protect you and they take over a full year to settle contract. Find a different low paying job, trust me.

No advice for management, they would only pretend to listen anyway.

Underpaid

Current Employee - Cash Office Lead
    Current Employee - Cash Office Lead

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, benefits such as paid time off, tuition reimbursement, etc, good experience, good environment

Cons

I handle all cash that flows through the sore and account for the store on a store based level, as well as assist the front end manager in their day to day operations all while making a whopping $10.55 an hour. I've also been trying to advance and seem to be getting no where while they continue to hire people from our competition such as price chopper.

Good luck getting hours

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. At least I have a job, while so many people are unemployed.

Cons

They keep cutting hours. And you never know your schedule until 2 days before your week begins. It makes it impossible to take on a second part time job.

Increase part timers hours and have more coverage.

this place went downhill

Former Employee - Porter in Seymour, CT
    Former Employee - Porter in Seymour, CT

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

paid vacation time, the longer you work there the more vacation time you get. Also get paid time off as well, but you need to use them or lose them.

Cons

they cut hours last year
    belonging to a union
    the good help gets moved around all the time if you're a full timer

give pay raises to the people who earned it, not by the union!!!
    allow the workers to opt out of the union

Worst company I every worked for

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not sure if they are any

Cons

This business is going to fail under this current management. They are a bunch of egotistical narcissists that are out of touch with their personnel and the communities that they do business in.

They are running the company into the ground so I am not sure they really care at this point.

Uninterested in employee concerns.

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

You have a job and a paycheck.

Cons

Management doesn't take employee concerns into consideration.

Take employee concerns into consideration.

Its has it ups and down.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Dedham, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits for working there, flexible hours. Most of the people there are very easy to work with. Are some areas where advancement is easy.

Cons

Lack of communication. Lots of empty Promises. Raises are a joke,especially when you have been there for so long. Longer you work there the more problems and stress you deal with.

CASHIER

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good start job ..you get decent benefits..good customer service experience

Cons

short lunch breaks when store is busy and you want to pay that usually takes up your whole break

n/a

Good overall, but definitely room for improvement in multiple areas.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Point Pleasant, NJ
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Point Pleasant, NJ

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I've had a positive experience. The associates for the most part are very friendly and easy to get along and work with. Management is also relatively easy to get a long with and they will take care of you as long as you do your job to the best of your ability. However this all may vary by store, as no one place is the same. I find myself lucky to have worked with the people that I do. Also, advancement is absolutely possible but unfortunately, it just depends on being there for long enough or in some cases who you know, when it comes to management or classified positions.

Cons

While Ahold has come a long way, they can still attract more customers by implementing a more aggressive pricing structure. The company is also too focused on company programs that seem as though some guy in an office thought of them. Most of it being micromanagement of daily tasks that were already being done correctly.

Take care of your employees. And also, while keeping everything under tight control is necessary, micromanagement of everything little thing is not. let the stores take care of things on a more individual level with guidance from management rather than dictating exactly the way things should be done.

Framingham stop and shop o c c

Current Employee - Bagger in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Bagger in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good people but sometimes stress can be a factor in the way when I left Price chopper I was a cashier at the time I was there and afterwards I applied to become a cashier for the Framingham stop and shop but I found out it never happened I ended up bagging and repeating the same for over 14 strange years with no promotion and no move up in the company because of management changes this it what's holding me back I need to change my line of work badly

Cons

I have been a great person I have no real honest complaints from the previous management they were great and I was their top guy the only real issue I really truly have is the upstairs break room is that's needs sever cleaning every morning because when I go up stairs to relax and eat something before I go on the floor it's always a giant mess and I have to eat outside because it's very nasty and I wouldn't be surprised to see the board of health close the store because of this type of issue in this case someone needs to get on this I mean every morning thank you

like II said before the upstairs break room needs more attention to be cleaned every morning that is all because it just can't be left for someone else to go after that is all