Storm8 Reviews in Redwood City, CA

4.3

Perry Tam

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry.
    -High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control.
    -Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done.
    -Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons

-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any.
    -In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Learn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

May 6, 2014People Team

Thanks for your candor! This kind of feedback will allow the Storm8 people team to develop programs that would help Stormies grow into their roles better. We'll look into it further!

Great work environment with awesome people

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Storm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion for quality work is balanced with a fun, friendly atmosphere. Even with 200 people, Storm8 has a great sense of community, fostered by communal meals, company outings and parties, and lots of game rooms.

Cons

At the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and those free catered meals won't pay for themselves). But it can sometimes stifle creativity, and lead to decisions based on the bottom line, not based on making best-in-class products.

More hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated teams that come up with original ideas and pitch them to the company every month.

May 6, 2014People Team

We definitely would love to host more Hackathons so that our teams can share more original ideas internally. We appreciate your excitement!

Refreshing to work with a super passionate and talented team

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are super friendly, super smart and very passionate about what they do. Everyday is different. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Benefits are great too -- free food, 100% health coverage for dependents, which is amazing. Really great trajectory for the company.

Cons

Too many snack options can be a challenge if you want to stay fit! Luckily, we have free gym membership :P

Stay accessible as we continue our super fast growth!

May 6, 2014People Team

We're glad that you share the same excitement about working at Storm8 as we do! Definitely struggling with how much food we get around here, too! :)

Engineering at Storm8

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Went in there without any prior mobile app development experience. After a few time and some projects later you really do learn a lot. A lot of room to grow for a capable and willing engineer. A lot of really brilliant engineers to work with. Everyone is great!

Cons

Sometimes not much choice on which project and team you end up in.

annual salary raise would be nice

Great work culture

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers from all departments are extremely talented and hard-working, which equals great products.

Founders pushing for best-in-class products makes me proud to work here, because that aligns with my own goals.

Strong technical leadership who also understand product.

Freedom to make meaningful product and engineering-related decisions.

Company is taking more risks this year than last year.

Great work-life balance.

Little to no politics compared to other companies, and no dividers. People are genuinely friendly.

Cons

Some employees have complained about the commute.

As the company grows in headcount, keep an eye out for politics and shut it down ASAP.

Great! Hooray!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent company culture with hardworking, talented, bright and respectful teammates
    People are genuinely nice
    Action-oriented work; little fluff
    Little to no politics or bureaucracy
    Reasonably fast-paced environment
    Flexible hours
    Usual gaming company full benefits and perks (meals, snacks, gyms, office toys)

Cons

So-so commute from SF
    No major surprises for a maturing start-up

Always keep an eye on the health and happiness of your employees at all levels

One of the best work environments I've experienced

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- An amazing ability to execute on a strategy and launch products
    - Really smart and dedicated coworkers who are excellent at what their function
    - Open and honest company culture
    - Great perks

Cons

- Not in San Francisco
    - Can sometime lack imagination
    - Always crunch time

A Successful Young Company Pursing Greatness

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a bootstrap mobile social game company, Storm8 is extremely successful, especially in the passed year. I was blessed and honored for witnessing this as an employee. On one hand, it just got 10M DAU. On the other hand, the number of employees got doubled.
    Working in Storm8, I am surrounded by talented, hardworking and extraordinarily friendly coworkers. The way that people are organized inside company is very efficient. Whenever I have questions with my task, I can always find someone to ask and get helped.
    For who has passion about work, Storm8 is a great place to go. Here, you will get credit for everything you have accomplished. And you are encouraged to bring up your own ideas.
    Though different team leaders have different working style. I am very satisfied with mine. He is really accommodating and has a good perception of how to incent people.
    Other things:
    Free lunch and diner / All kinds of snack / Gym membership

Cons

In terms of product development, sometimes I feel our company is too concentrate on doing things fast. Time is important, but it is not the only thing, especially for a company that is already doing a good job on its field. As the company size getting bigger, doing things in the right way might benefit us more in the long run.
    At the same time, I also feel Storm8 is too afraid of taking risk. I think it is probably because we always want our products to cover as many users/devices as possible.

Doubled workforce does not necessarily means doubled speed. It can also means making things twice better. Probably our code review standard should be regulated and provide more thorough training for we engineers. Instead of trying to make all features universal among our products, maybe we can start some products with new technology targeting for specific devices that can support. In this way, we can get sufficient practice. By the time those new things can be used universally, they will be already fully tested. Great chances always comes with risks. I am looking forward to Storm8 making a difference in this industry.

Best Mobile/Social Company I've ever worked for.

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated and talented people, rewarding environment with sane working hours. Compared to other social/mobile companies I've worked for, this is heaven. Crunch is pretty much non-existent. Never grinding for months on end on the same game.

Cons

A bit less creative freedom than I'd like. Too many safe choices in what is worked on, not enough risk taking. Wish we could do more innovative things.

Take some more risks and allow your talented people to create the stuff you hire them to do!

Great place to learn and grow!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Management proactively develops and invests in their people.
    - Great corporate culture - extremely collaborative and fun
    - Ability to really expand yourself into lots of different areas of interests
    - Exciting to be a part of such a successful and growing company

Cons

- Commute : Storm8 is only located in Redwood City, CA