Storm8 Reviews

17 reviews filtered by
  • Redwood City, CA
4.6
Perry Tam

1. Amazing culture, perks and leadership team!!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I could exceed the max character limit on this one...

Let me just start by saying this, I would highly recommend Storm8 to my friends, family, or anyone looking to learn, build, and have fun while doing it. This is actually the second time I've worked here, after venturing out into the big bad world of failed startup attempts. When it was time to come back to reality, I didn't even consider interviewing around. I knew where I wanted to go to battle everyday and with whom - my fellow stormies.

Here's what comes to my mind:
    - Leadership proactively cares about our happiness and career growth
    - Fun! I truly enjoy spending time with the people on my team and throughout the company
    - Highly intelligent coworkers. I've come to appreciate and value being surrounded by people way smarter than myself
    - Is it taboo to talk about money? Oh well - very competitive comp and aggressive bonus structure companywide
    - Just the right size. Still small enough to move quickly, yet bootstrapped and highly profitable
    - Perks!!! Swag, vacations, benefits, free devices, $$ to pimp out your desk, free breakfast/lunch/dinner
    - Dog friendly
    - Come as you are and dress comfortably
    - Show off your creativity
    - Flexible schedules
    - Challenging
    - Rewarding
    - Did I mention fun?

I know I'm forgetting stuff, but it doesn't matter. Come find out for yourself. :)

Cons

My commute from SJ isn't always enjoyable... my fault, not Storm8's though. :) And with flexible hours that hasn't been a problem lately!

The potential is there - but we haven't delivered yet

Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-New management is a vast improvement over old management. Feedback now matters and is seriously considered, instead of being thrown away.
    -Lots of talent in-house, especially artists and engineers. If we want to build it, we can.
    -Company is financially sound. Candy Blast Mania is a top 50 grossing game, and ~5 other games are top 100 grossing.
    -Lots of room for individuals to contribute and build a reputation in the company. Storm8 cares about what you do, and if you deliver it will be noticed (but see below)
    -Free lunches & dinners daily (unless you're in Customer Service, see below)

Cons

-Product design is inconsistent. Lower management doesn't have the design sense to separate winning products from losing ones, which is simply unacceptable. This is improving under new management but we're not there yet.
    -Work-life balance is not a company priority. Management recently pushed for a product ship at 9 AM - after working continuously through the night. As a result, bugs got through and we had to ship our product again a second time.
    -Compensation starts off competitive, but over time the workload on individual employees increases while salaries remain flat.
    -If you are a woman, you will need to work harder to match salaries with men in equivalent positions (this is a problem for multiple departments).
    -PTO is low for the amount of work that is expected of employees.
    -While there's lots of growth opportunity, there's absolutely no *structure* for that opportunity. If you aren't willing to fight tooth and nail to figure out what you need to do to get promoted, you'll stay in your current position, simple as that. As mentioned above, management is ill-equipped to help you grow even if they want to try.
    -Employees in Customer Service are treated like second-class citizens and do not receive the same benefits other employees do.

-Product design has improved dramatically - keep it up! But make sure that the training opportunities are there for product employees (producers, game designers, product managers).
    -Compensation and titles need to be fair across the board. Management's #1 priority should be to make sure each and every employee is satisfied with their compensation and title, and opportunities should be abundantly clear for how to advance. Many employees (including myself) feel that we're part of a successful and stable company that doesn't share any of its good fortune with us.

Jan 13, 2015People Team

Thanks for the feedback. We're equally excited about the additions to our leadership team!

The health and well-being of Stormies is important to us, and this extends to work/life balance. Given
    ... More

3. Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-talented and smart people
    -cooperative environment
    -promotes career growth
    -pet friendly
    -"pimp you desk" contest

What else can you ask for?

Cons

A bit of a long commute but they are flexible

Keep up the amazing work!

5. Great company to work for

I have been working at Storm8

Pros

Work-life balance
    Awesome employees
    Plenty of room for growth
    Great food

Cons

Nothing really to not like here

6. Great Company and Great People

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Management is friendly and easily approachable, including the CEO.
    - Coworkers are friendly and extremely productive and professional.
    - Health, dental, and vision benefits + more.
    - Flexible working hours.

Cons

- Crunch time happens although uncommon.
    - Transit benefits could be a bit better.
    - Product creativity is average at best.
    - Commute is sometimes daunting.

- Keep being friendly and come up with new product ideas once in a while.

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry.
    -High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control.
    -Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done.
    -Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons

-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any.
    -In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Learn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

May 6, 2014People Team

Thanks for your candor! This kind of feedback will allow the Storm8 people team to develop programs that would help Stormies grow into their roles better. We'll look into it further!

Refreshing to work with a super passionate and talented team

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are super friendly, super smart and very passionate about what they do. Everyday is different. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Benefits are great too -- free food, 100% health coverage for dependents, which is amazing. Really great trajectory for the company.

Cons

Too many snack options can be a challenge if you want to stay fit! Luckily, we have free gym membership :P

Stay accessible as we continue our super fast growth!

May 6, 2014People Team

We're glad that you share the same excitement about working at Storm8 as we do! Definitely struggling with how much food we get around here, too! :)

Great work environment with awesome people

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Storm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion for quality work is balanced with a fun, friendly atmosphere. Even with 200 people, Storm8 has a great sense of community, fostered by communal meals, company outings and parties, and lots of game rooms.

Cons

At the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and those free catered meals won't pay for themselves). But it can sometimes stifle creativity, and lead to decisions based on the bottom line, not based on making best-in-class products.

More hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated teams that come up with original ideas and pitch them to the company every month.

May 6, 2014People Team

We definitely would love to host more Hackathons so that our teams can share more original ideas internally. We appreciate your excitement!

Engineering at Storm8

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Went in there without any prior mobile app development experience. After a few time and some projects later you really do learn a lot. A lot of room to grow for a capable and willing engineer. A lot of really brilliant engineers to work with. Everyone is great!

Cons

Sometimes not much choice on which project and team you end up in.

annual salary raise would be nice

11. Great work culture

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My co-workers from all departments are extremely talented and hard-working, which equals great products.

Founders pushing for best-in-class products makes me proud to work here, because that aligns with my own goals.

Strong technical leadership who also understand product.

Freedom to make meaningful product and engineering-related decisions.

Company is taking more risks this year than last year.

Great work-life balance.

Little to no politics compared to other companies, and no dividers. People are genuinely friendly.

Cons

Some employees have complained about the commute.

As the company grows in headcount, keep an eye out for politics and shut it down ASAP.