Storm8 Reviews

Perry Tam

1. Storm8 is Fantastic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 (Less than a year)

Pros

Yesterday was my last day at Storm8. I worked in the IT department with great people. The founders are awesome. They truly care about the employees. The People team provides more company swag than I have ever seen. The benefits all covered for your whole family nothing out of pocket for your whole family. Catered meals daily tons of snacks and drinks Great coffee. You feel like you died and went to heaven. Commuter friendly in door bike racks. Dogs at work. Great co workers. Super creative people I love the Art team their work is incredible. Awesome work events and outside of work gatherings. Recruiting team is fantastic the best I have worked with. Genuinely great people. The best job ever. Executive team is clearing the bend they are making headway. in our biweekly all hands meeting they have proven and shown they have a firm plan in execution and the numbers prove that to be true. I think 90 percent of executive management has been doing a great job. They are very experienced and seasoned veterans and it shows especially with mister Parkis. He is a wise man who listens to others and actually implements on feedback. The company fosters growth learning and mentorship. If you are wanting to learn new skills you can find people to teach them to you. This is a rarity in todays workforce and greatly appreciated. My direct manager was always teaching, mentoring and explaining to others how and why things were setup and why they work.

Cons

long long hours. un realistic dealines for the product teams from executive management. The producers are exhausted. Content, Eng, and art are running thin. People are generally stretched thin across the board. Super technical and talented people. A fast paced environment. If you don't fit the above you may have a hard time adapting. Having no cubes to block noise from every angle can be a challenge. Headphones are your best bet to block noise so you can concentrate. Re Organizing the teams so often and moving the desk every were became a huge hurdle. I am not sure it was worth the benefit of doing it. Having contractors and full time employees is a no no it dilutes the culture. The contractors feel like the misfit children. The Full Times develop superior entitlement complexes. It never works well trust me I have been on both sides many times.

Advice to Management

Your doing great team. people need some breathing room and some down time. make the deadlines reasonable. People are exhausted I see it most with the Producers it just shows. Maybe move re org yearly or every other year if possible.

Awesome team!

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open dialogue among teams. Very smart group of people, so it's a great place to learn. Senior team members are highly accessible (we all sit in an open area -- no offices so communication is encouraged). People team try their best to promote camaraderie and put together a mix of fun and charitable events. Access to all the tools you need to do your job + free meals and snacks. 100% health care coverage even for dependents!

Cons

Because of our open seating, it can sometimes get loud when people chit chat. It's a pet-friendly office, but sometimes pets can also be a distraction to the teams.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture awesome employees and positive culture that rewards hard work. Excited to launch that next hit game!

Producer

Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bennifit is good, offer free lunch and dinner

Cons

Poor managment for a lot of department

Advice to Management

less Micomanager

The potential is there - but we haven't delivered yet

Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-New management is a vast improvement over old management. Feedback now matters and is seriously considered, instead of being thrown away. -Lots of talent in-house, especially artists and engineers. If we want to build it, we can. -Company is financially sound. Candy Blast Mania is a top 50 grossing game, and ~5 other games are top 100 grossing. -Lots of room for individuals to contribute and build a reputation in the company. Storm8 cares about what you do, and if you deliver it will be noticed (but see below) -Free lunches & dinners daily (unless you're in Customer Service, see below)

Cons

-Product design is inconsistent. Lower management doesn't have the design sense to separate winning products from losing ones, which is simply unacceptable. This is improving under new management but we're not there yet. -Work-life balance is not a company priority. Management recently pushed for a product ship at 9 AM - after working continuously through the night. As a result, bugs got through and we had to ship our product again a second time. -Compensation starts off competitive, but over time the workload on individual employees increases while salaries remain flat. -If you are a woman, you will need to work harder to match salaries with men in equivalent positions (this is a problem for multiple departments). -PTO is low for the amount of work that is expected of employees. -While there's lots of growth opportunity, there's absolutely no *structure* for that opportunity. If you aren't willing to fight tooth and nail to figure out what you need to do to get promoted, you'll stay in your current position, simple as that. As mentioned above, management is ill-equipped to help you grow even if they want to try. -Employees in Customer Service are treated like second-class citizens and do not receive the same benefits other employees do.

Advice to Management

-Product design has improved dramatically - keep it up! But make sure that the training opportunities are there for product employees (producers, game designers, product managers). -Compensation and titles need to be fair across the board. Management's #1 priority should be to make sure each and every employee is satisfied with their compensation and title, and opportunities should be abundantly clear for how to advance. Many employees (including myself) feel that we're part of a successful and stable company that doesn't share any of its good fortune with us.

Jan 13, 2015 – People Team

Thanks for the feedback. We're equally excited about the additions to our leadership team! The health and well-being of Stormies is important to us, and this extends to work/life balance. Given ... More

Amazing culture, perks and leadership team!!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could exceed the max character limit on this one... Let me just start by saying this, I would highly recommend Storm8 to my friends, family, or anyone looking to learn, build, and have fun while doing it. This is actually the second time I've worked here, after venturing out into the big bad world of failed startup attempts. When it was time to come back to reality, I didn't even consider interviewing around. I knew where I wanted to go to battle everyday and with whom - my fellow stormies. Here's what comes to my mind: - Leadership proactively cares about our happiness and career growth - Fun! I truly enjoy spending time with the people on my team and throughout the company - Highly intelligent coworkers. I've come to appreciate and value being surrounded by people way smarter than myself - Is it taboo to talk about money? Oh well - very competitive comp and aggressive bonus structure companywide - Just the right size. Still small enough to move quickly, yet bootstrapped and highly profitable - Perks!!! Swag, vacations, benefits, free devices, $$ to pimp out your desk, free breakfast/lunch/dinner - Dog friendly - Come as you are and dress comfortably - Show off your creativity - Flexible schedules - Challenging - Rewarding - Did I mention fun? I know I'm forgetting stuff, but it doesn't matter. Come find out for yourself. :)

Cons

My commute from SJ isn't always enjoyable... my fault, not Storm8's though. :) And with flexible hours that hasn't been a problem lately!

7. Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-talented and smart people -cooperative environment -promotes career growth -pet friendly -"pimp you desk" contest What else can you ask for?

Cons

A bit of a long commute but they are flexible

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

8. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Work-life balance Awesome employees Plenty of room for growth Great food

Cons

Nothing really to not like here

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry. -High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control. -Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done. -Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons

-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any. -In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

May 6, 2014 – People Team

Thanks for your candor! This kind of feedback will allow the Storm8 people team to develop programs that would help Stormies grow into their roles better. We'll look into it further!

Refreshing to work with a super passionate and talented team

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are super friendly, super smart and very passionate about what they do. Everyday is different. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Benefits are great too -- free food, 100% health coverage for dependents, which is amazing. Really great trajectory for the company.

Cons

Too many snack options can be a challenge if you want to stay fit! Luckily, we have free gym membership :P

Advice to Management

Stay accessible as we continue our super fast growth!

May 6, 2014 – People Team

We're glad that you share the same excitement about working at Storm8 as we do! Definitely struggling with how much food we get around here, too! :)

Great work environment with awesome people

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Storm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion for quality work is balanced with a fun, friendly atmosphere. Even with 200 people, Storm8 has a great sense of community, fostered by communal meals, company outings and parties, and lots of game rooms.

Cons

At the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and those free catered meals won't pay for themselves). But it can sometimes stifle creativity, and lead to decisions based on the bottom line, not based on making best-in-class products.

Advice to Management

More hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated teams that come up with original ideas and pitch them to the company every month.

May 6, 2014 – People Team

We definitely would love to host more Hackathons so that our teams can share more original ideas internally. We appreciate your excitement!

RSS Feed </> Embed