Storm8 Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Perry Tam

Fantastic People, Great Products, and a company I believe in!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is amazing and there's a real progressive attitude towards improving the company. The hours are extremely flexible and allow me to actually have a life. It's all about results for Storm8 and if you're a performer then there's nothing to worry about. I actually left my job at Google to pursue opportunities with Storm8 and I'm very pleased with my decision. I feel that Storm8's culture is similar to Google's, just on a smaller scale.

Cons

Everyone sits in a huge open space and it can sometimes be distracting.

Advice to Management

Keep the push for diversity going.

Great place to learn and grow!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Management proactively develops and invests in their people. - Great corporate culture - extremely collaborative and fun - Ability to really expand yourself into lots of different areas of interests - Exciting to be a part of such a successful and growing company

Cons

- Commute : Storm8 is only located in Redwood City, CA

3. A Successful Young Company Pursing Greatness

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a bootstrap mobile social game company, Storm8 is extremely successful, especially in the passed year. I was blessed and honored for witnessing this as an employee. On one hand, it just got 10M DAU. On the other hand, the number of employees got doubled. Working in Storm8, I am surrounded by talented, hardworking and extraordinarily friendly coworkers. The way that people are organized inside company is very efficient. Whenever I have questions with my task, I can always find someone to ask and get helped. For who has passion about work, Storm8 is a great place to go. Here, you will get credit for everything you have accomplished. And you are encouraged to bring up your own ideas. Though different team leaders have different working style. I am very satisfied with mine. He is really accommodating and has a good perception of how to incent people. Other things: Free lunch and diner / All kinds of snack / Gym membership

Cons

In terms of product development, sometimes I feel our company is too concentrate on doing things fast. Time is important, but it is not the only thing, especially for a company that is already doing a good job on its field. As the company size getting bigger, doing things in the right way might benefit us more in the long run. At the same time, I also feel Storm8 is too afraid of taking risk. I think it is probably because we always want our products to cover as many users/devices as possible.

Advice to Management

Doubled workforce does not necessarily means doubled speed. It can also means making things twice better. Probably our code review standard should be regulated and provide more thorough training for we engineers. Instead of trying to make all features universal among our products, maybe we can start some products with new technology targeting for specific devices that can support. In this way, we can get sufficient practice. By the time those new things can be used universally, they will be already fully tested. Great chances always comes with risks. I am looking forward to Storm8 making a difference in this industry.

5. Best Mobile/Social Company I've ever worked for.

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated and talented people, rewarding environment with sane working hours. Compared to other social/mobile companies I've worked for, this is heaven. Crunch is pretty much non-existent. Never grinding for months on end on the same game.

Cons

A bit less creative freedom than I'd like. Too many safe choices in what is worked on, not enough risk taking. Wish we could do more innovative things.

Advice to Management

Take some more risks and allow your talented people to create the stuff you hire them to do!

6. Great! Hooray!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture with hardworking, talented, bright and respectful teammates People are genuinely nice Action-oriented work; little fluff Little to no politics or bureaucracy Reasonably fast-paced environment Flexible hours Usual gaming company full benefits and perks (meals, snacks, gyms, office toys)

Cons

So-so commute from SF No major surprises for a maturing start-up

Advice to Management

Always keep an eye on the health and happiness of your employees at all levels

7. One of the best work environments I've experienced

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- An amazing ability to execute on a strategy and launch products - Really smart and dedicated coworkers who are excellent at what their function - Open and honest company culture - Great perks

Cons

- Not in San Francisco - Can sometime lack imagination - Always crunch time

8. Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Awesome people and culture. -Fantastic benefits. -Free food (we're not talking candy bars and cokes, but full catered lunches and dinners, multiple fully stocked kitchens, and fresh fruit delivered daily). -Fast-paced work environment, but not too fast that its a constant stress. -Fun and exciting projects. -Easy commute to and from San Francisco -Competitive salaries. -So much room to grow. -Amazingly bright future. -Tons of top-tier talent (and open to new talent). -Passionate founders and CEO. -Storm8 truly believes work and fun can be the same thing.

Cons

-Some games don't allow for much risk, working with whats been proven instead of innovating new projects.

Advice to Management

We could take more risks.

9. Great work culture

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers from all departments are extremely talented and hard-working, which equals great products. Founders pushing for best-in-class products makes me proud to work here, because that aligns with my own goals. Strong technical leadership who also understand product. Freedom to make meaningful product and engineering-related decisions. Company is taking more risks this year than last year. Great work-life balance. Little to no politics compared to other companies, and no dividers. People are genuinely friendly.

Cons

Some employees have complained about the commute.

Advice to Management

As the company grows in headcount, keep an eye out for politics and shut it down ASAP.

10. Awesome place to work and play~

Current Employee - UI Designer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I've worked with has been awesome and good at what they do (a lot of them are now straight-up friends, not work buddies) - either easy to learn from or easy to teach. Catered lunch and dinner, snacks, full benefits and mostly laid-back work environment.

Cons

It's starting to get a bit more corporate with the addition of HR, but that's expected once a company gets as large as we are now. Every so often we have crunch time, but the flexible hours during every other non-crunch time more than make up for it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You've bottled awesomeness, somehow.

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Storm8 has been one of the best companies I've worked at. The people are extremely friendly and talented with great ideas. The culture is wonderful and it's the only place where I can proudly say where I am happy to come in to work everyday. Another plus? You can bring your dog to work!

Cons

Could get competitive and you don't get any type of pay raise unless you get a title bump, which can be difficult with either a bad manager or having a social life.

Advice to Management

Take more risks when it comes to innovation and originality. Also, managers should strive to be better connected to their team and work more to help their team build upon their ideas instead of just telling them what to do.

RSS Feed </> Embed