Storm8 Reviews

Great! Hooray!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent company culture with hardworking, talented, bright and respectful teammates
    People are genuinely nice
    Action-oriented work; little fluff
    Little to no politics or bureaucracy
    Reasonably fast-paced environment
    Flexible hours
    Usual gaming company full benefits and perks (meals, snacks, gyms, office toys)

Cons

So-so commute from SF
    No major surprises for a maturing start-up

Always keep an eye on the health and happiness of your employees at all levels

One of the best work environments I've experienced

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- An amazing ability to execute on a strategy and launch products
    - Really smart and dedicated coworkers who are excellent at what their function
    - Open and honest company culture
    - Great perks

Cons

- Not in San Francisco
    - Can sometime lack imagination
    - Always crunch time

A Successful Young Company Pursing Greatness

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a bootstrap mobile social game company, Storm8 is extremely successful, especially in the passed year. I was blessed and honored for witnessing this as an employee. On one hand, it just got 10M DAU. On the other hand, the number of employees got doubled.
    Working in Storm8, I am surrounded by talented, hardworking and extraordinarily friendly coworkers. The way that people are organized inside company is very efficient. Whenever I have questions with my task, I can always find someone to ask and get helped.
    For who has passion about work, Storm8 is a great place to go. Here, you will get credit for everything you have accomplished. And you are encouraged to bring up your own ideas.
    Though different team leaders have different working style. I am very satisfied with mine. He is really accommodating and has a good perception of how to incent people.
    Other things:
    Free lunch and diner / All kinds of snack / Gym membership

Cons

In terms of product development, sometimes I feel our company is too concentrate on doing things fast. Time is important, but it is not the only thing, especially for a company that is already doing a good job on its field. As the company size getting bigger, doing things in the right way might benefit us more in the long run.
    At the same time, I also feel Storm8 is too afraid of taking risk. I think it is probably because we always want our products to cover as many users/devices as possible.

Doubled workforce does not necessarily means doubled speed. It can also means making things twice better. Probably our code review standard should be regulated and provide more thorough training for we engineers. Instead of trying to make all features universal among our products, maybe we can start some products with new technology targeting for specific devices that can support. In this way, we can get sufficient practice. By the time those new things can be used universally, they will be already fully tested. Great chances always comes with risks. I am looking forward to Storm8 making a difference in this industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Mobile/Social Company I've ever worked for.

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dedicated and talented people, rewarding environment with sane working hours. Compared to other social/mobile companies I've worked for, this is heaven. Crunch is pretty much non-existent. Never grinding for months on end on the same game.

Cons

A bit less creative freedom than I'd like. Too many safe choices in what is worked on, not enough risk taking. Wish we could do more innovative things.

Take some more risks and allow your talented people to create the stuff you hire them to do!

Great place to learn and grow!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Management proactively develops and invests in their people.
    - Great corporate culture - extremely collaborative and fun
    - Ability to really expand yourself into lots of different areas of interests
    - Exciting to be a part of such a successful and growing company

Cons

- Commute : Storm8 is only located in Redwood City, CA

Fantastic People, Great Products, and a company I believe in!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is amazing and there's a real progressive attitude towards improving the company. The hours are extremely flexible and allow me to actually have a life. It's all about results for Storm8 and if you're a performer then there's nothing to worry about. I actually left my job at Google to pursue opportunities with Storm8 and I'm very pleased with my decision. I feel that Storm8's culture is similar to Google's, just on a smaller scale.

Cons

Everyone sits in a huge open space and it can sometimes be distracting.

Keep the push for diversity going.

Some growing pains but really good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are awesome, hard working and talented.
    Everyone is very respectful of each other and super chill. Not a lot of drama.
    Very top light. Founders are super nice.
    Lots of real gamers work here, which means that lots of people are always pushing for fun and game-play, which is rare in free to play casual game development.
    Pimp your desk competition where the studio gives you money to make your desk unique.
    Dog friendly.
    Culture is somehow being kept, despite the rapid growth. There is a focus on hiring nice people.
    Very well-stocked kitchen.
    Good benefits package, gym in the vicinity is basically free.

Cons

Founders are very involved, which sometimes is bad, and sometimes good.
    Decision making tends to be driven by money making more than fun, but there are enough people fighting for fun that generally some fun is achieved by the time a game submits.
    Hard to have your hard work acknowledged unless the game is monetizing well.
    Loud work environment. Feels crammed sometimes.
    Sticking to quarterly plans doesn't always happen. Lots of last minute crunching.

Make sure you are present through the development of each project, if you are going to be involved. It's frustrating to have directors and founders be absent through the beginning of a project, only to swoop down and make tons of demands towards the end. Also, make sure to reward people's hard work regardless of the success of the game.

This Company is nothing more than a Money-Greedy Zynga Clone

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly artists, designers, and producers.

- Chance to make you own title once every 6 months during the company's "Hackathon" event.

- Free lunches & dinners every Monday thru Friday (10 meals a week), including vegetarian options at each meal.

- A few special interest groups for dog lovers, Starcraft players, beer connoisseurs, assuming your workload allows you time to enjoy these things.

Cons

- The games Storm8 makes are all clones of titles Zynga or Popcap make that are proven to be profitable. Up until now, Storm8 is not willing to take a risk on coming up with an innovative game.

- Some of the Hackathon game ideas employees make are wonderful, but upper management refuses to use any of them because they only care about things that make money and never want to task risks.

- As a software engineer, once you are assigned to a group at the 2-month point, you are stuck in that group and can never transfer.

- Some of the decisions team leads and managers make are short-sighted, resulting in a lack of communication between different teams, and prohibitively more time to market than needed.

- Every team is being pushed so hard that unless you are THEIR manager, your ideas get ignored, no matter how helpful they are.

- The company has more than doubled from the point when I started until the point when I finished at the company, but the average workload per person has quadrupled. This is because management thinks that twice the number of people, including engineers, allows them to crank out eight times the number of new games or updates to existing games, but the math clearly doesn't add up. This results in a diminishing work & life balance per employee.

- Take RISKS, take RISKS, take RISKS. I would absolutely KILL to see Storm8 try for a game that's not some stupid clone of something someone else already made!!! Sometimes you gotta take risks to make the big profits, otherwise, if you're just making Zynga-clones, you're doomed to suffer a similar fate as Zynga.

- Listen to your employees' ideas! You can start with some of the cool stuff people came up with at your OWN company's Hackathon event!!!

- Encourage more idea-sharing between the different groups. This can also help reduce some of the redundancy as the company grows.

Awesome culture!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people we get to work with everyday are incredibly talented and the culture that has been created is one of the best I've ever worked in.

Cons

The company is growing at a very fast rate so things get a little crazy around here. But we're a start-up so it's to be expected.

Keep up the good work and continue growing this company!

Awesome Work Environment

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

Pros

Employees are smart, fun and passionate about what they do
    Senior Management is very approachable and accessible
    Open and collaborative work environment
    Different interest groups created by employees that organize events and outings like giants games, starcraft, dance, karaoke, hockey games to name a few
    Game rooms with tons of different console games, pool, ping pong and foosball
    Encourages creativity with pimp your desk competition, where you are giving money to decorate your desk and Hack-a-thon's
    Free lunch and dinner served daily

Cons

The lunch line can be super long on sushi day :)
    Open office environment can be distracting, but there are quiet rooms you can use if needed

Keep our culture and lines of communication open as we continue to grow

Worked for Storm8? Contribute to the Community!