Stormont-Vail HealthCare

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
3.8

Randy Peterson

First job. Was a great place to learn and promote within.

Former Employee - Buyer in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Buyer in Topeka, KS

I worked at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are very kind and generous. PTO policy is nice. Tuition reimbursement was good. Very nice campus with cafeteria for lunch. Family friendly atmosphere at lower level positions.

Cons

Human resources is less responsive when concerns about managers is brought up. Political bias with upper management positions.

The benefits are very generous compared to other hospitals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO accrues with each pay period and can be shared employee to employee. When employees share PTO SVHC pays the receiving employee at their pay rate which could be higher.

Cons

They attempt to promote from within, however they seem to be not following that on the management level. There are many qualified employees that are not considered for upper level positions.

I would hope that management would begin to listen to employee suggestions for improvement especially in individual units.

Poor experience as a new physician

Current Employee - Family Physician
    Current Employee - Family Physician

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Robust nurse line makes call a breeze. Exceptional physician support department. My nurses and nurse manager were excellent and worked very hard to keep things moving smoothly and to keep me satisfied. Modest autonomy with setting your schedule, but this is getting phased out.

Cons

Very poor compensation model; below avg wRVU multiplier (less than $36), no PTO, no CME time or money, limit bonus access (very obtuse about calculating it, minimal funds actual get to primary care). Management is disconnected and unresponsive.

I joined this practice as a somewhat starry-eyed physician right out of residency. I was the 3rd doc in an office with 2 other well established physicians. My practice was very slow at the start, as most are. I had a good starting salary, but no bonus eligibility, which seemed fair given low volumes. Marketing consisted of a few ads in the local papers and "word of mouth." I was pretty satisfied with this; limitations on bonus access in exchange for time to build the practice. As we got closer to the end of my guaranteed period, my practice was still very slow. Someone from the business office blamed me for the limited productivity from the office, suggesting that the reason I saw so few patients was that I had too many long visits and heard a rumor I wasn't working because I had a guarantee (more than a little angering). Efforts to discuss these accusations with upper management were totally ignored.

I made the changes they suggested, but they took no steps to further market my practice. The organization received a large meaningful use payment while I was on my guarantee and refused to give me a penny of it, nor did they credit it to my productivity. As a fig leave, they gave me a 12th of that year's bonus (not much, considering what they took). They claimed to estimate my compensation for my first quarter ever on production (in my life), but they clearly didn't try very hard, as they over estimated by about $10k. They took no action the following quarter, so I thought they gave so leeway as you started out...I was wrong. They slashed my comp by about 45% and proceeded to completely ignore me for about 6 months. Seriously, if I didn't get a modest home, I would've lost my house, had to move in with my parents and no one in administration would've cared. Mind you my practice was still SLOW at no fault of my own. I took just about every patient twice turned away from other practices and shrank appointment times, but still my comp was reduced even as my productivity increased. So far, I'm down about $60k from where I was, and admin still feels this is my fault, though they have taken NO STEPS to further market my practice.

You need to dramatically change the way you compensate your primary car docs and smooth the transition from salary to production. You've lost about 7 PCP's since I joined and you will lose more if you don't keep up. Further, you need to be more responsive to your physicians.

excellent care is given to the patients at Stormont Vail. The employees however...

Current Employee - Pct in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Pct in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Knowing that you work for a hospital that demands such excellent and knowledgeable care for the patients. It is a learning hospital. Tuition reimbursement for people seeking education that has to do with a career at Stormont.

Cons

As a PCT feeling like you are inferior to all of the other employees even though they are the ones doing most of the direct patient care and have double the patient load of the RNs and LPNs. The pay for a PCT is pretty pathetic. Management favoring friends over employees that work hard.

Treat all employees more equally.

A wonderful company

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time

Pros

A great place to expand your knowledge and room for advancement. The hospital is focused on providing patients' with the best care possible. Proud to be an employee.

Cons

Healthcare in general is going through budget constrains and cut backs which I think is hard to avoid. Hiring new employees is a very long and time consuming process.

Continue to provide personal growth and advancement opportunities. Take advantage of staff that use educational reimbursements and utilize their educational experiences to benefit health care delivery.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - IV Therapist in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - IV Therapist in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the nursing staff is amazing. Kind, caring, and passionate.

Cons

Upper level management is very unaware of the staffing needs.

Spend more time getting to know the ins and outs of your departments.

Hospital review

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are nice.
    The hospital is growing and financially doing well.
    Pay is ok.
    Magnet Hospital.
    Hospitalists and state of the art ED department.

Cons

All about quantity and not quality. Hire people not qualified to do the jobs or poorly qualified.

In bred management. No new ideas

Great company to work for. I would recommend it to others.

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great administration, great supervisors. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

none yet. well the only con is that when you start you have to use a local computer to setup all your stuff, and being a offsite employee that is hard.

schedule time during ornientation to do computer work.

Amazing people to work with

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people; culture of "do the right thing and help each other" versus a cutthroat mentality.

Cons

pay and benefits are lagging

Don't lose the fantastic culture! Consider potential flaws in compensation and benefits model.

Less than satisfied

Current Employee - Lab Employee in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Lab Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Stormont-Vail HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Poor salaries, poor benefits, little encouragement to improve the health of its staff.

Reward good employees and weed out the employees that hurt the moral of the work environment. The good employees should not be compensated worse than the poor employees. By doing this, the good employees feel punished or without value or unappreciated for going the extra mile.